LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

PCV valve

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2007, 07:58 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by hyperzone
an oil catch can will stop it from getting back to the intake....
ya i want to find one of those inline ones... that i can unscrew and pour in the grass or something every week or so.. probably just stick it between the PCV down against the driver side valve cover

Originally Posted by the_merv
They usually have all that stuff on one of the Shelves in Autozone, I bought a little 90* bend and setup mine with a little Breather on it.
u said u got a 90 degree bend then said you put a breather on it.. are you talking about those little can chrome things with a tube sticking off the side.. most of those have holes on the bottom to vent I though I wouldnt want open air getting in the system
Old 01-29-2007, 06:18 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by the_merv
They usually have all that stuff on one of the Shelves in Autozone, I bought a little 90* bend and setup mine with a little Breather on it.

I really dont think it works that way all the time, pull your Breather Tube off and tell me how much Oil is in it, as well as inside the Throttle Body. Going by what you said, if it sucks Air into the Valve Cover from the Throttle Body, where that Air came in from the Intake, that means that all it has to do is get Air into the Valve Cover, which a little Breather Filter accomplishes. I know you said metered air, but I think it breathes out more than it does in.
I give up...... Keep thinking what you want
Old 01-29-2007, 06:47 PM
11 Second Club

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

There's a breather filter by Deutch BF412 that replaces the 90deg open elbow with a filter/catch area built in that traps the little bit of oil yet keeps the system sealed and working as it should...The oil drains back into the valve cover once you shut the motor off...I've had one for a few months and it seems to be working, no more oil in the TB...Autozone sells them for around $4.00, they fit in the stock location and look factory...

--Alan
Old 01-29-2007, 07:11 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ABA383
There's a breather filter by Deutch BF412 that replaces the 90deg open elbow with a filter/catch area built in that traps the little bit of oil yet keeps the system sealed and working as it should...The oil drains back into the valve cover once you shut the motor off...I've had one for a few months and it seems to be working, no more oil in the TB...Autozone sells them for around $4.00, they fit in the stock location and look factory...

--Alan

we have a winner!!!! It's been mentioned time and time again The hose on the passenger side valve cover that connects to the TB is a fresh air hose. As described in FSM, it will flow both ways. Throwing the above mentioned filter on, allows your TB to remain oil free. I run the exact same on my car, and usually change them out every few oil changes. Keeps my TB clean and spotless.

Just remember (Merv I think you and I discussed this a while ago) that the PCV system is designed to be closed. If you were to cap off the port on the TB and throw a breather cap on the valve cover (K&N makes a nice one that actually fits in the stock grommet if you want to put on there) you would be allowing unmetered air into your system, since it's air introduced after the MAF. This can result in messed up blms @ idle, and make idling rough, etc. However it's a hit or mess whether or not your car will compensate for unmetered air but in some cases it won't/
Old 01-29-2007, 07:43 PM
11 Second Club

Received 143 Likes on 112 Posts

Yea, that was a while ago.. I have never had a problem with it, and I have been running a Breather for a long time. Some Cars are bitchy I guess..
Old 01-29-2007, 08:01 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ABA383

--Alan
Is it an actual filter? I would think the oil would clog up the filter and restrict the flow into the valve cover.
Old 01-29-2007, 08:13 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by speed_demon24
Is it an actual filter? I would think the oil would clog up the filter and restrict the flow into the valve cover.
yea wouldnt it clog up or just replaced it every 10k or something?? my car really doesnt have blowby or anything.. its a new engine but if it did id like to keep it from the intake...

on the driver side PCV where on the TB does it go like I said mine is capped off @ both places
Old 01-29-2007, 10:53 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by speed_demon24

No it's not an actual filter..
Old 01-29-2007, 11:06 PM
TECH Addict

hell ill pick one up this week just bring that number to autozone and they can order me one up... i hope not having that driver side PCV hooked up wouldnt have messed up anything when I had it tuned earlier last week i wouldnt think so since its not like a vacuum its just not letting off pressure

I like how this is so simple and we make tons of threads about it aguing.. why dont i just leave it capped it collects all the oil in the PCV valve anyways.... but then it doesnt release pressure...

Quick Reply: PCV valve