LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

LT1 scanmaster owners come in.

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2007, 04:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default LT1 scanmaster owners come in.

I have an LT1 scanmaster that im using on an OBD2 vehicle. I know that i have hooked it up properly, but im getting weird function.

The problem: It works fine, but it shuts off after a few minutes of driving. (the time varies) When i go to kill the engine it will turn on momentarily and then shut off like it is supposed to. It starts up fine everytime I start the car.Also the connnection from the OBD2 port is a good connection. ( I know it will not function without this signal)

FYI a while back I had no idea that the Cig fuse controlled the port for OBD2 and was trying to hook up my scanmaster. After hooking it up and getting no reading (due to blown fuse and not knowing) I figured that something was wrong with the scanmaster.
(keep in mind this was a long time ago). Me being who I am took the scanmaster apart to see whats inside. Inside I found a simple electrical board with a few chip components and 2 tiny switches. I am not sure as to what position these two switches were in on the circuit board. I do not know if I moved them at the time, and if this has to do with what problem im having.

Is there anybody that I can contact that makes the scanmaster?

I really like the tool, and found out my MAF is reading after all! (A whole other subject)
Old 01-29-2007, 05:07 PM
TECH Apprentice

Does it cut off because it loses power (dies instantly)?

Or cut off because it loses data (data stop changing for a few seconds then it goes off)?
Old 01-29-2007, 08:13 PM
TECH Resident

check the batteries in the scanmaster
Old 01-29-2007, 08:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Mattybz28
Does it cut off because it loses power (dies instantly)?

Or cut off because it loses data (data stop changing for a few seconds then it goes off)?
I cant really tell. It functions like it should and then will just turn off unexpectedly. Scanmasters will turn off if they lose signal from the ECM, and also will turn off if it loses power. What fools me is the fact that it will turn on everytime I start my car, but it will not blow the fuse in the fuse panel.
Old 01-29-2007, 08:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by LT1Falcon
check the batteries in the scanmaster
Where the hell are the batteries? I really dont think they have them. Do you own a scanmaster?
Old 01-29-2007, 09:44 PM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

where do you get one and how much are they? I want to check mine for Knock and my LS1M palm doesn't show that. Show's fuel curves and stuff but no in depth stuff~Cole~
Old 01-30-2007, 10:31 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by ColeTrains'96Z28
where do you get one and how much are they? I want to check mine for Knock and my LS1M palm doesn't show that. Show's fuel curves and stuff but no in depth stuff~Cole~
Well they are like 250 new. If you can find a used one that might be a good idea.

I am trying to find out who manufacturers them and give them a email with questions.
Old 01-30-2007, 11:29 AM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

thanks man. Appreciate the help~Cole~
Old 01-30-2007, 08:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

Well I am not sure what would cause my scanner to shut off, but I think it might have to do with the cigg power and ground that I hooked up the scanmaster from. I rewired everything today and put a switch in, only to still have problems. I think that im going to run power off of my actual OBD2 port this time and see how that works.

Like mentiioned by mattybz28 above when it loses signal from the ECU it stalls for a minute and then shuts off. My situation is sudden, so that is what makes me think that it would be a power issue. There has to be a short somewhere, I just dont understand how to find it. I have not tried to check to see if the cig lighter port actually works with the cigg lighter, so i need to do that also.
Old 01-30-2007, 11:44 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by 97LT1
Well I am not sure what would cause my scanner to shut off, but I think it might have to do with the cigg power and ground that I hooked up the scanmaster from. I rewired everything today and put a switch in, only to still have problems. I think that im going to run power off of my actual OBD2 port this time and see how that works.

Like mentiioned by mattybz28 above when it loses signal from the ECU it stalls for a minute and then shuts off. My situation is sudden, so that is what makes me think that it would be a power issue. There has to be a short somewhere, I just dont understand how to find it. I have not tried to check to see if the cig lighter port actually works with the cigg lighter, so i need to do that also.
I followed the instructions from bfranker's website.

On my 96SS, the connection is as follows: The ScanMaster RED wire is the power wire and gets connected to the ORANGE wire on the ALDL connector in location #16. This is a nothing more than a power feed from the cig lighter, fuse #11. The ScanMaster BLACK wire gets connected to the BLACK wire on the ALDL connector in location #4. This is your ground wire. The ScanMaster WHITE wire (data wire) gets connected to the TAN wire on the ALDL connector in location #9. Keep in mind, these are locations for a 96 with an OBDII connector so if you have a different year, yours may be different.
http://www.bfranker.badz28.com/fbody/scanmaster.htm

Haven't had any problems with mine.

Quick Reply: LT1 scanmaster owners come in.