LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Which intake is better??? Ram Air Or Cold Air?

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2007, 11:21 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok well I'll buy that the SS intake is a joke. I thought he was refering to a lid set up or the ultra Z set up.
Old 02-03-2007, 11:26 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by hyperzone
My stock SS intake was a joke. As stated above, there are 3 bends in it and it hovered over the driverside exhaust manifold which I'm sure was just so conducive to have cold air. I felt an improvement when I switched to the K&N FIPK. PLUS, the SS intake is taking up a huge chunk of space in the middle of everything.

THE OLD

THE NEW
Does the K&N come with the elbow or is that the TrickFlow elbow?
Old 02-03-2007, 11:49 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Its a trick flow elbow painted wrinkle black...I think
Old 02-04-2007, 01:14 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Location: king of prussia, pa (home) and williamsport, pa (school)

im interested to try this out with cuttint he baffles out. im sure it would improve airflow by a hell of alot. i really dont drive my car in the rain anyways, so water shouldnt be an issue
Old 02-04-2007, 08:18 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by TX20D
Does the K&N come with the elbow or is that the TrickFlow elbow?
Nope, thats the black trickflow elbow.

Another thing I didn't like about the stock SS intake was that I when I would go to clean the K&N filter I put on it, there would be tons of bugs and crap jammed into the grooves. I had to use a toothbrush to get all that stuff out then to the normal cleaning. I dont get that at all with the new location, just dust/dirt buildup over time.
Old 02-04-2007, 08:57 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I would have to say a good CAI , or an LS1 Air lid
Old 02-04-2007, 10:42 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by B4CZR2
I would have to say a good CAI , or an LS1 Air lid
Not that I wanna argue, but tell me why? I have nothing against a good CAI, I just put one on my ram. But with regards to the LT1 Camaro the (2) 90 degree bends and a filter that sits down in an enclosed compartment. Somehow I can't see how that set up would have an advantage over an LS1 lid that is fed with tons of cold air from the bottom of the car. Both 90 bends are eliminated and the path to the throttlebody is not only shorter but straiter. I dont see how the CAI has the advantage here.

On top of that if the CAI setup is so much better why change it on the 98 LS1 Camaro.
Old 02-04-2007, 10:53 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by emerica4601
im interested to try this out with cuttint he baffles out. im sure it would improve airflow by a hell of alot. i really dont drive my car in the rain anyways, so water shouldnt be an issue
I kept second guessing myself because I was like, well I dont want to ruin an 800+ dollar hood. So I really didnt want to cut it up, but then I thought, oh well, why not, and I just did it, what I did was take of the little screens of the front of the nostrils and then took my dremel tool and drilled small holes in the shape of the piece I wanted to cut out, then I just took my hobby saw and went for it, looks almost like a straight shot now there is a little lip that I left on top, I left it because just in case I decided to mount a removable rain baffle. but now I am thinking about hacking that one out too.
Old 02-04-2007, 11:19 AM
TECH Fanatic

I switched from the LG lid and modified base with the K/N filter to the K/N FIPK set up on my 98 Ta and I could tell an improvement in the part throttle response. I would like to see some before/after dyno numbers from people like myself on the K/N FIPK Vs. stock set up with aftermarket lid. I made too many changes to my car to pin point the exact improvement over the lid.
Old 02-04-2007, 01:08 PM
Staging Lane

If you are talking about a Camaro...get CAI. The SS induction is a design nightmare.
If it was a Trans Am or Formula....I'd go Ram Air, yet you would have to buy the hood as well which is going to bring up your total cost. Of course, you get looks with the Ram Air hood. If you are going bang for buck, go CAI.

Quick Reply: Which intake is better??? Ram Air Or Cold Air?