LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Pics of my catch can setup for you guys wondering how to do it.

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2007, 04:32 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by bmccrary
I did have it on the fresh air line at first and I did catch some stuff. However, I found out that the fresh air line flows both way so I took it off. (because the filter was only flowing one direction) If there was a filter that flows both ways, I would try running it.

-bryan
The purolator filter flows both ways, its just a canister with steel mesh inside it.
Old 03-06-2007, 08:12 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Might have to look into that, thanks.

-bryan
Old 03-07-2007, 05:37 PM
9 Second Club

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

How would i completly elimante the pcv system and what are the pros and cons from doing so?

I put vette fuel rail covers on and want to elimanate unecessary hoses and thus less holes to cut in the plastic vette fuel rail covers.

any input would be greatly appreciated.
Old 03-07-2007, 06:13 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by i420tom
How would i completly elimante the pcv system and what are the pros and cons from doing so?

I put vette fuel rail covers on and want to elimanate unecessary hoses and thus less holes to cut in the plastic vette fuel rail covers.

any input would be greatly appreciated.
the PVC system helps keep the oil clean and gets rid of condensation. Taking it off does more harm than good.
Old 03-12-2007, 11:55 PM
TECH Addict

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

I went to all the local places places looking for a separator like the one pictured by bmccrary and I just can't find it, any part number to it? any linky to the seller?
Old 03-13-2007, 12:07 AM
TECH Addict

got my purolator in yesterday guys got my pcv hooked up normally no catch can (no oil inside the line though after 200 miles) although its a brand new engine
Old 03-13-2007, 01:31 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by transam5.7lt1
I went to all the local places places looking for a separator like the one pictured by bmccrary and I just can't find it, any part number to it? any linky to the seller?
Home Depot! That is the only store that I know of that carries them. You will need to go into the tool section in the back by the air compressors. If I can, I will stop by and grab a part number so that they can order it, if they have no idea what you are talking about.

-bryan
Old 03-13-2007, 10:51 PM
TECH Addict

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by bmccrary
Home Depot! That is the only store that I know of that carries them. You will need to go into the tool section in the back by the air compressors. If I can, I will stop by and grab a part number so that they can order it, if they have no idea what you are talking about.

-bryan

I would really appreciate that, that size of separator seems just right for my car, thanks in advance for all the help.
Old 03-13-2007, 11:55 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by speed_demon24
Heres a few pics of mine.
http://picsorban.com/upload/catch can 1.jpg
http://picsorban.com/upload/catch can 2.jpg
http://picsorban.com/upload/catch can 3.jpg

The purolater breather filter just has mesh inside it so it won't clog up it will just stop the oil fumes from entering the TB at WOT.
What is that piece you have in the passengerside V/C. I want one if it fits the stock 3/4 hole. Does it have the mesh in that too.

i hav found plenty of sealed V/C breathers that have mesh inside with a pcv hose barb on it. I think this would work great for me for the passengerside as it flows both ways and has mesh in it to somewhat keep the oil from passing thru the tube to the trottle body.

Problem is that ALL the ones ive found had a 1" connector for the valve cover and i still have the stock 3/4 gromet. I would use the stocker but dont have it and dont want it. i want something with mesh.
Old 03-15-2007, 12:57 AM
11 Second Club

It's a Purolator breather filter. It has steel mesh inside to keep the oil vapors from entering the throttle body through the fresh air hose under WOT conditions. The part # is B23165 I got it at advanced auto, or you can order it online at www.partsamerica.com (no sponsors that I know of carry this so I hope its ok to link a non-sponsor.)
Old 03-15-2007, 09:02 AM
TECH Addict

home depot, sears and all the local hardware stores dont have that catch can need a part number
Old 03-15-2007, 11:17 AM
11 Second Club

http://www.homedepot.com/prel80/HDUS...gjn.0&MID=9876

It should be in the compressor section. Oh yeah, I cut the bottom part of the purolator filter off too since the side openings were blocked by the rubber grommet.
Old 03-15-2007, 11:19 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by speed_demon24
http://www.homedepot.com/prel80/HDUS...gjn.0&MID=9876

It should be in the compressor section. Oh yeah, I cut the bottom part of the purolator filter off too since the side openings were blocked by the rubber grommet.
i just pushed mine in i figured if its gonna blow up it, it will that link didnt work either

EDIT Part # is HDA70400AV

they had them listed but they where out of them at my store.. $11 is the right price
Old 03-15-2007, 01:11 PM
TECH Regular

Yeah it was a little over 10 bucks.

-bryan
Old 03-19-2007, 09:05 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Gun5
here ya guys go.. on ebay for around $30

Are you concerned about the no synthetic oil label on the side as there is a possible explosion warning? I am this close to getting this one.
Old 03-19-2007, 09:58 PM
9 Second Club

got the purolator filter for the passengerside valve cover. Looking at partsamerica online i found out that my local advanced auto parts store had it. got it for $4 and locally too. Great deal thanks everyone.
Old 03-19-2007, 11:34 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Steve40th
Are you concerned about the no synthetic oil label on the side as there is a possible explosion warning? I am this close to getting this one.

Well you can take the chance. It would prolly be fine with engine oil. I know I wouldn't pay $30 for that. You should be able to get those fittings for maybe $12 tops on all three. the seperator is only $11 at home depot.
Old 06-14-2007, 09:54 PM
TECH Resident

Finally got some pics of my catch can setup.
(And yes, I have since cleaned my engine bay )

Here is the whole thing:

I have traction control on my car so I had to angle the hose around the TCS motor with an elbow. I mounted the catch can itself over by the brake fluid resevior rather than right over the manifold as some people do, to try to help it stay cooler. I think a catch can needs to be relatively cool to function properly.

Close up of the catch can:

That's only about 200 miles worth of oil. It will get to the bottom of the filter element within 400-500 miles tops. You can see the filter is starting to become discolored from oil fumes. Some people remove that part entirely, I haven't yet, but I will if it becomes a restriction. The white piece would have to be cut off, since the base of it holds the piece above it on.

Here's a better view of where I put the 90 degree elbow to angle the hose around the TCS box:

Here's a pic of all the parts I used:

Notice the catch can was blue, it's not the Home Cheapo brand, though it is virtually identical. I painted it black to look more stock. The straight nipple on the right was used to connect the 3/8" hose to the little rubber elbow in the front of the intake under the throttle body. It made things easier to keep that piece and just connect my hose to it with the nipple. There's some zip ties in that pic that I was going to use to secure the hose but I didn't bother. You also don't really need the hose clamps, all the fittings are nice and tight by themselves.

Here's the Deutsch BF412 in the passenger side valve cover:

Since I put this on no oil gets into the top of the throttle body, works like a charm.

For what it's worth, I think this system is a much better approach than an open breather stuck into the valve cover in place of the oil filler tube. This way you keep the whole crankcase ventilation system working exactly the way it is supposed to while keeping the oil out of the intake. And you don't create a vacuum leak, as you would by running the breather with the PCV valve still intact.

Some other thoughts:

Before I did this I wondered if the oil from the catch can could just be dumped back into the crack case. Some might disagree but I would NOT recommend doing this. Although this is mostly oil, it is mixed with various vapors that build up inside the crankcase, like cylinder blowby, fuel vapors etc. I consider it to be contaminated and don't re-use it. It smells pretty nasty compared to if you were to simply remove your dipstick and smell that. My engine uses a lot more oil than that anyway so it's not worth worrying about it for another ounce or two of oil here and there.

I did all of this fairly recently. I know for a fact that the BF412 is keeping oil from getting into the top of the throttle body. I just recenlty seafoamed the intake (after the catch can and breather were installed) and I haven't looked at it since, I'm hoping when I do I will see that it is much cleaner than it was.

If anyone wants any more information or pics let me know.
Old 06-14-2007, 10:34 PM
11 Second Club

I didn't realize this thread was still going. I ended up taking off the tube to the throttle body since oil was still getting in the intake from that hose even with the filter on it. So now I'm running a breather on each valve cover and a catch can inline with the pcv.
Old 06-15-2007, 06:25 AM
TECH Fanatic

What size fittings are used on the air compressor filter? xxx to 3/8"?

Quick Reply: Pics of my catch can setup for you guys wondering how to do it.