LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Lt1 vs 5.0 fox mustang

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2007, 04:18 PM
JUICED96Z

I know a guy with a yellow fox notch back that he got with a 468BBF in it CHEAP but if it was me and I got one it would have a chevy engine in it. LSX or injected SBC.

He punched his out to 5XX cui and is said that it will go 9's on the motor then going to spray that.

With the same amout of money he has in it you could do that with a LSX and A LOT less weight.

BUILT FORD TOUGH WITH CHEVY PARTS
Old 02-10-2007, 04:38 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I agree with everyone, that if your just gonna do a bolt/on car, go with an LT1. If your gonna do a little more serious drag racing, I would look for a Fox body coupe because of how light they are. Just get what you want, drive examples of both and compare prices, then decide.
Old 02-10-2007, 07:49 PM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

last race i did before shitty weather came in was my car headers, intake, free mods, air foil and thermostat vs a supercharged fox body with ported intake bigger throttle body, exhaust suspension maybe gear. he spotted me out 1 we spun the same pretty much he got me by a fender. the kid was like wtf. another freind was being cocky back wen my car was bone stock he had the bolt ons i have now got him by at least 5 cars he shut his mouth lol i would go wiht f body man i actually like the fox bodys especially notchbacks but stock to stock bolt on to bolt on f body wins.
Old 02-11-2007, 09:28 AM
TECH Regular

Have owned both, F body gets the win for fastest stock by a mile.
Old 02-11-2007, 12:24 PM
TECH Enthusiast

For a weekend drag/fun street car, I'd go with the FOX. There is a tons of 5.0 performance parts compared to the LT1's selection. However, everyone has a Mustang.

Mike
Old 02-11-2007, 12:55 PM
JUICED96Z

Originally Posted by aboatguy
For a weekend drag/fun street car, I'd go with the FOX. There is a tons of 5.0 performance parts compared to the LT1's selection. However, everyone has a Mustang.

Mike

Aint that the truth... the local mustang clubs fills up most of the parking lots or comes close.....
Old 02-11-2007, 01:27 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by sdm1234
a fox-body is superior over an f-body when it comes to drag racing (weight, wheelbase). however, f-bodies have potential with their larger displacement motors, but that doesn't mean you can't go bigger in a fox-body, either. when it comes to power, you can get cheap parts for both. it's all about what u really want. i have noticed people generally think f-bodies look much nicer than fox-bodies. you just have to examine your priorities.

ive always had chevy trucks but always raced and built fox bodys they are great but i just got a lt1 and it seems to be more fun and able to make look better and more unique
Old 02-11-2007, 01:48 PM
12 Second Club

60hp more-STOCK, 4 wheel discs- stock, 48 more cubes stock... and it's got a bow-tie on the front end- you can't beat that!

personally, I think the lt1 4th gen's look ten-times better than a fox car... maybe it's just because I own one..

oh yeah and you cna always say "5-oh this!"
Old 02-11-2007, 06:16 PM
Teching In

I took down my friends 5.0 with full bolt-ons and a cam with my bolt-on z by about 2 or 3 car lengths. I like both but would only choose the 5.0 for a track car as a lot of people stated earlier.
Old 02-11-2007, 08:41 PM
Launching!

It took Ford until 2005 to come up with a Mustang GT that could handle an LT1 consistently.

Lets not get into how badly theyre still getting whipped on by the LSx guys.
Old 02-11-2007, 08:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

Ok, first off, I dont think most of us can give unbiased advice, its a Chevy engine website really, hahaha.

Aside from that, here are my two cents.

The Fox's Body is Junk, they are really weak flex prone and require alot of beefing up to take big power, Ford had to reinforce the body more and more throughout the years, how do I know, Im the only GM guy in a family of Ford freaks.
Old 02-12-2007, 12:58 AM
9 Second Club

I would skip both and buy an ls1......
Old 02-12-2007, 08:55 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by SlowBlueFormula
It took Ford until 2005 to come up with a Mustang GT that could handle an LT1 consistently.

Lets not get into how badly theyre still getting whipped on by the LSx guys.
Ha, if that, the new GTs are still a joke. I destroyed two of them last year when I had just CAI and full exhaust. Not even longtubes, shorties.

If its strictly for drag racing, the fox body, with a LSx in it. Even after you stick some subframes and a cage in it, it will still be lighter than a fbody.

If your going to cruise it around and drag race it, you know don't want to be faster than 11.xx def. get the LT1. It'll do that easily and be great for driving around in still.
Old 02-12-2007, 10:44 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by JUICED96Z
With the same amout of money he has in it you could do that with a LSX and A LOT less weight.
he might be able to go around a corner too......
Old 02-12-2007, 11:34 AM
TECH Regular

.7 more liters.
Old 02-12-2007, 12:54 PM
Teching In

Couple of points: When comparing Stock to Stock. (Please correct me if I’m wrong)

1: The LT1 is a little more advanced of a motor than the 5.0. It has better heads stock. (And I think a better cam profile)

2: The LT1 is quite a bit larger that a 5.0, coupled with the better heads makes quite a bit more power than the 5.0l

3: The 4th gen f-body is a much more advanced chassis compared to the Fox body. With a more modern interior

However on the other side:

Fox Bodies are cheaper for performance parts (i.e. summit sells a ford racing intake, heads, cam, roller rocker package for the 5.0 for like $2200)

Fox Bodies Ignition is much simpler (though not any more reliable that the opti, it only costs about 1/3 the price and can be replaced in less than an hour.)

Fox Bodies have a much stronger rear end. They can run drag radials/slicks with out worrying about breaking it. This can improve their quarter-mile times. F-bodies who really want the hole-shot may need to upgrade ($1000+)

One Final note:
Remember the 4th gen is a much more modern car than the 5.0. It first appeared in 1993 the last year for the 5.0. The 5.0 is essentially equivalent to the 3rd gen f-body. That makes for a better comparison. I like the 5.0’s but given the choice (for a similar price) I wouldn't choose an older car over a newer car. (I love my LT1 but if I could have got an LS1 for the same price I would have jumped all over it)
Old 02-12-2007, 02:57 PM
Staging Lane

any car can be made fast if your pcokets are deep enough... 5.0's have a better aftermarket then lt1's do but fact is if you spend your money where u really need it on an lt1 you'll pull on them like nothin, especially up top!

for example.... one of my best friends has a 92 5.0 m5... he has a bbk cold air intake, bbk tb, trick flow intake, bbk shorties, off road x-pipe, dual flowmasters, and underdrive pulleys...... my T/A had the mods in the sig..... off the line he pulled on me but as soon as i got traction in second i reeled em in and pulled 2 lengths on em...... on the freeway he didn't even have a chance, in my third gear going 65, as soon as i punched it, it was as if i just leaped in front of em and kept going all the to 145...

example 2.... another one of my close friends had a 93 5.0 with a vortech a-trim on 5#'s, bbk equal length headers, off road x-pipe, dual spintech or flowtech w.e. the hell they're called, and a 3.73 posi rear end.... again i had the same mods... off the line he raped me as soon as he got traction( mid second gear)! but on the freewaywhen i was in my fourth at about 80 as soon as i punched i leaped about half a car on him and he wasn't able to close that gap till about 135-140....

i'm not trying to say 5.0's are slow or anything because if i had to drive a ford that would be one of my top choices but i would much rather have an lt1 even with the opti-****
Old 02-16-2007, 06:57 PM
Teching In

if we're talking stock, then get the LT1. I have a 96 Z28 M6 as my summer DD, but i also own my 91 mustang prostreet car that i take to car shows and drive on the weekends, at 466ci, its faster than most if not all the camaros running around out here. But LT1 for stock driver over the fox, plus its more comfy.

Last edited by ExplodingGopher; 02-16-2007 at 07:02 PM.
Old 02-16-2007, 07:16 PM
Launching!

duh ya what one to get the mid 80's stang or some 4thgen lt1 beast, i hate people who ask stupid **** like this. Did anyone mention that most fox bodies are hanging out at the local trailor park or in some kids garage waiting for a list of boltons and "free" upgrades? also you can get a really nice fox body for like 3 grand with lower miles, most entry level 93 Z28s in good shape will run double that easily

jesus i cant beleive i am even involved in this conversation. Mustange suck *****, especially the "ole fox bodies" Stock LT1s usually outrun the 02's (or atleast any of the ones i encountered did) so to compare a fox body is a little out of legue.

how aboubt this fox body or thirdgen GTA
Old 02-16-2007, 07:26 PM
11 Second Club

LT1 all the way,

Quick Reply: Lt1 vs 5.0 fox mustang