LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

My girlfriends LT1 will not pass emissions. What to do?

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2007, 02:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It's a formula that you put in your gas tank or whatever that helps pass emissions. It isn't very good for the car so don't use it all the time. Only when you have to do emissions check. It's pretty crazy, you should pass with it.
Old 02-17-2007, 03:46 PM
11 Second Club

Received 54 Likes on 50 Posts

I ran into the same exact problem with my car and no matter what I couldnt pass so I had to buy a waiver and show $250 in receipts in parts trying to get the car to pass. I dont know what Im gonna do this year. I tried everything, new plugs/wires, 02 sensors, cat, went back to factory tune and all and no luck
Old 02-18-2007, 11:35 PM
12 Second Club

Where can I get this stuff "Guaranteed to pass"? Do they sell it at Oreilly's or Autozone?
Old 02-18-2007, 11:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

I have never seen it sold in auto parts stores. Can't find it on their websites either. It's on Ebay though. I'm going to have to buy some myself. I'm right on the borderline of pass/fail and I don't want to do it twice.
Old 02-18-2007, 11:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

Glad I got friends in the inspection sticker buisness.... FREE!!!!!
Old 02-18-2007, 11:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

Haha yeh, I work for the county so if push comes to shove.. I can take a sticker from the emission bay.

Oh btw 2000WhiteTA. Like I said, I'm buying the stuff myself. Autobarn sells it on ebay but it's actually cheaper if you buy it from their website $1.25 cheaper.. big bucks.
Old 02-19-2007, 12:06 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

autozone got it here
Old 02-20-2007, 10:52 AM
On The Tree

All you have to do is find a little hole in the wall inspection place, and before you let them take your car tell them it wont pass and ask them what its going to take for them to pass it. It might cost a little more but 9 times out of 10 they will take your money and pass your car. Its worth a shot all they can say is no. That is what I do every time, once you find a place that will do it, you just keep going back.
Old 02-20-2007, 11:18 AM
12 Second Club

Until that place gets shut down by DPS. I work for a repair business in houston that does emissions inspections, and it can happen at any time. The guaranteed to pass stuff is about as good as a bottle of rubbing alcohol in the tank (works just as good on a full tank of gas). If you had the cats replaced last year, and if they are aftermarket cats (magnaflow, catco, etc.) then they only last 1-2 years at the most, we replace them all the time, they are just crap unfortunately, so your cats may be bad again. From the looks of your readings, your car is running way too rich, therefore you might need a good tune (madz28.com) to get the car running right again. Also, without looking at the car it is hard to tell, but a bad coolant sensor can make a car run rich as hell, but hopefully the check engine light would be on for that. There are so many things that make a car run like that, you really need a good mechanic that you trust to check it out and read any codes that are in the computer and address them accordingly. Let me know if you have any questions about anything, maybe I can help.
Old 02-20-2007, 11:55 AM
TECH Regular

Received 28 Likes on 25 Posts

According to the readings you are running way rich. The high CO is a conformation of
rich A/F. High nox is also an indication of a rich A/F and exsesive heat in the chamber.
A complete tune up, plugs wires etc etc. You should also get your injectors and chambers flushed/decarbed. why? because if you have been running rich and theres a lot of carbon it will soak up the fuel which will indicate a rich A/F.
Another problem is your cats if you were running rich for this long you may have murdered your cats.
Another sugestion which you wount like is to do everything with regaurds to tuneup and decarb. then do a run and check the results it will tell you if you went the right way. If so it should just about clean up to the passing points @ which point pass or fail replace the cats. You can also take the temps of the cats which will tell you if its working or not.
Old 02-21-2007, 04:27 PM
12 Second Club

STROKED_LS1_Z
How do I find out about a DTC code. Will her service engine soon light be on or do I need to take it to autozone and get them to tell me if there are any DTC codes? Her SES light is not on.
Old 02-21-2007, 05:35 PM
12 Second Club

Autozone does not have the capabilities to read an OBD-I system (i'm pretty sure). You will have to take it to a shop to have them read. Her SES light may not stay on anymore if a code has been set long enough. On some older vehicles the light will come on a certain amount of times, and then the code is stored in the computer (although they usually will come on periodically to let you know a code needs to be addressed). Once you get the DTC's read, the repair facility should tell you what the codes mean and what areas need to be addressed.
Old 02-21-2007, 10:39 PM
TECH Resident

Thumbs up

Get a new girlfriend that has a car that runs cleaner... problem solved.
Old 02-22-2007, 04:21 PM
12 Second Club

Well we went up to Autozone and they tried to plug their tool in but the plug on her car is not working. Trying to fix the plug is probably not going to be cheap. I am coming to the conclusion that her car is a piece. Well we are going to do a mail order tune and then go from there to see if it will help it pass.
Old 02-22-2007, 05:03 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by NoMoreLS1
Get a new girlfriend that has a car that runs cleaner... problem solved.
Nice...
Old 02-22-2007, 05:06 PM
11 Second Club

Good luck on the tuning..I'm glad we don't have the sniffer test here in south texas.
Old 02-22-2007, 07:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 2000WhiteTA
Well we went up to Autozone and they tried to plug their tool in but the plug on her car is not working. Trying to fix the plug is probably not going to be cheap. I am coming to the conclusion that her car is a piece. Well we are going to do a mail order tune and then go from there to see if it will help it pass.
Check the fuse to the DLC. It could turn out to be a $0.10 fix.
Old 02-22-2007, 08:06 PM
12 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

There is probably nothing wrong with the DLC. Yes the AutoZone scanner will plug into the car physically, but it will not read the codes from an OBDI computer. I have tried this there myself with two different vehicles multiple times. I have some buddies that work in the zone and they have told me this as well.

I doubt the car is a piece. But I would not doubt for a minute that you have no clue about working on cars.
Old 02-23-2007, 12:22 AM
12 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Tech 2s are awesome. Auto Zone uses a cheap generic code scanner by techtron something or other.
Old 02-23-2007, 10:27 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by fergymoto

I doubt the car is a piece. But I would not doubt for a minute that you have no clue about working on cars.
I love your response that was not necessary. I was looking for help not an insult. I never once said that I knew anything about working on cars. I have put in 2 clutches, 2 sets of heads, and 2 different cams in the car in my sig. I think that I know a little bit about these cars but I guess not as much as you.

Quick Reply: My girlfriends LT1 will not pass emissions. What to do?