LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

96 SS Camaro Refurbish

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2007, 09:19 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 96 SS Camaro Refurbish

Ok I know this is going to be an intersting topic, but any help would be awsome.

I have a 96 Z28 SS convertible. Has about 90k miles on it. Still runs good looks good, but is starting to feel and look like an 11 year old car. Engine is all stock, has the SLP loudmouth exhaust.

So now to the fun part. I am leaving to Iraq as private contractor, so will be comming back in about 11 months with a big chunck of change. What I want is the car to be totaly refurbished. New interior (seats carpet etc..). Thats the easy part. I do know the vert top has some spots that are leaking so New seals and top are a must.

What I dont know is if It would be better to go ahead and put a new engine and tranny on it or rebuild the current. I know I have a bad syncronizer on the tranny because it Pops out of reverse all the damn time.

So my question is What do I do? Rebuild or New? I am not looking for tons of power 350ish horse is fine with me, but I want a good reliable car that I dont have to worry about will it start when I get in.

Also need to find a place in the South East that can do this kind of work. ie: they can do everything for me and not have to take it anywhere since i will be out of the country, so if anyone knows someone in the Georgia or surrounding areas that would be awsome.

I know this is a broad question, and I am sure I have left some things off, but thank you ahead of time for any and all information you guys can provide.
Old 02-15-2007, 09:40 AM
TECH Apprentice

You've got yourself a gem there. I would rebuild it and not go with any crate engines,etc. New bearings and seals in the engine. Add some bolt ons while you're at it and have your 350hp. Tranny rebuild kits are pretty cheap, it's just knowing or finding someone who knows how to install them. New carpet/seats is a piece of cake. The top would be the most costly/time consuming.
Old 02-15-2007, 09:49 AM
TECH Resident

Check out the 'vert section about the new top. You're lookin at 1500-2000 for the new one plus labor. It's not an easy job to do by yourself either.

Who do you work for? I'm AD out at Beale

Last edited by ZFan88; 02-15-2007 at 11:27 AM.
Old 02-15-2007, 10:10 AM
Staging Lane

Dont' forget about the chassis/suspension, a complete overhaul there will have more of an effect on it driving like new than a new motor and trans.
Old 02-15-2007, 10:22 AM
Teching In

Yea Im not looking forward to the Vert top fix, but I would rather spend the cash than get freekin wet again.

Yea Suspension is on the list too.

I thought rebuild for the engine and tranny was the way to go. I do want to keep things original if I can to keep the value of the car.

So I just need to find a place to take the darn thing. Im already itching to get this done. And yea going with LT headers and all the boltons.

As far as work getting done myself. Tell you the truth I dont want to do a damn thing I just want to take it to 1 place and say "rebuild the damn thing and make it new again" Of course I dont want to over spend, but I want to get good quality work at a good price and not shady work at a cheap price.
Old 02-15-2007, 11:23 AM
On The Tree

F-Body Motorsports is located in Charlotte, NC and I know they would do everything you mentioned, just not sure about the convertible top. Also Hawks Third Gen may be able to do the same work for you and they are in SC.
Old 02-15-2007, 12:09 PM
Teching In

qwkta Thanks a ton I will check them out. I may have a place here local that can do the top, its the engine tranny interior that im most concerned about.
Old 02-15-2007, 01:47 PM
12 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm in NC. I'm pretty good with building engines and most everything else. You will probably have to have an upholstery shop do your top, I just went through that with a 1995 TA vert I have. I would look into having a place like t56rebuilds.com or D&D Performance do the trans.
Old 02-15-2007, 05:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

The only problem with D&D Performance, is that they sustitute the gears with new softer compound gears. They handle alot of HP but they wear and have a short service life. They may have changed this since the last time I checked into rebuilt T56's. Personally I would use T56 Rebuilds to support your needs. They are also a sponsor here.

Quick Reply: 96 SS Camaro Refurbish