LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Installing MSD Wires

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2007, 08:47 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Installing MSD Wires

I was wondering which way would be the best way to route MSD Super Conductor wires on my 97 LT1, I hear you can easily burn your wires in two if you go the wrong route! Thanks
Old 02-23-2007, 09:58 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

do them the same route the stock ones go. use zip ties to keep them away from the headers. thats what i did never had a problem ever since
Old 02-23-2007, 11:50 PM
On The Tree

MSD wires kind of suck, as well as Taylors. MSD wires don't like heat and will get brittle and crack. I guess route them the factory way.

Good luck
Old 02-24-2007, 02:17 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by azvforce
MSD wires kind of suck, as well as Taylors. MSD wires don't like heat and will get brittle and crack. I guess route them the factory way.

Good luck
If you think MSD wires and Taylor wires suck, what do you think is good?
Old 02-24-2007, 02:47 AM
11 Second Club

I use MSD's...I've never had a problem with them cracking. They work fine for me.
Old 02-24-2007, 01:53 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 97REDZ28
Same thing I'm wondering?
Old 02-24-2007, 05:10 PM
TECH Resident

I ran taylor 10.5mm, then msd, and now i am with taylor 8.5 otvc kit. I burned up so many wires. talk about frustrating.

headers - 3
me - 1

i vote over the valve cover kit all the way
Old 02-24-2007, 08:31 PM
TECH Resident

dude it all depends, me i never burned a wire me and my friend did headers and new wires on our cars at the same time. he burned 3 wires had to change his wires 3 times, i never burnt any wires and still got the msd wires on my car never had a problem

msd and taylor wires are good if not what else is there to use???
Old 02-25-2007, 08:36 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Is the taylor 8.5 otvc kit for our cars? I'm thinking of running my next set ovtc. The stock routing makes me nervous, my #6 wire right now occasionally arcs. Oh yeah and with the headers on the car with the stock routing, it seems to me like its impossible to replace the wires.
Old 02-25-2007, 09:54 AM
12 Second Club

the 8.5 msd wires will not fit in the stock looms, near the A/C bracket. i have msd wires, and i burned up a couple in my first set because some were rested against the header, the next set i used zip ties to keep them away and ive been fine since, as long as you are very carefull as to how they are routed they will be fine. you just cant get frustarated and want to hurry the job up (it will be a royal pita) take your time, do it right, and you wont have any problems
Old 02-25-2007, 10:01 AM
TECH Fanatic

Default that dumb

MSD ARE 8.5 they are made to be used with headers. they are insulated very very well and are the best you can get, that is wat i have used zip ties and the sort have no problem since but you NEED MSD, on their box they say USE WITH HEADERS!
Old 02-25-2007, 12:59 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Shawns30thannZ28
the 8.5 msd wires will not fit in the stock looms, near the A/C bracket. i have msd wires, and i burned up a couple in my first set because some were rested against the header, the next set i used zip ties to keep them away and ive been fine since, as long as you are very carefull as to how they are routed they will be fine. you just cant get frustarated and want to hurry the job up (it will be a royal pita) take your time, do it right, and you wont have any problems
the stock wire loom by the ac bracket i just took that out and ran them throuthere i also got bigger wire looms to hold the wires together which i would zip tie to thing to keep them from going need the headers or need the belt. it worked out great for me
Old 02-25-2007, 02:05 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Shawns30thannZ28
(it will be a royal pita)
thats a ******* understatement..
Old 02-25-2007, 02:17 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 97Lt1TA
dude it all depends, me i never burned a wire me and my friend did headers and new wires on our cars at the same time. he burned 3 wires had to change his wires 3 times, i never burnt any wires and still got the msd wires on my car never had a problem

msd and taylor wires are good if not what else is there to use???

DURALAST !!!

With the MSD's I think one of the more popular ways to route them is over the valve covers, and along with that using some sort of fiberglass boot cover. (Tay-2560; summit page 81)
Old 02-25-2007, 02:19 PM
12 Second Club

This question has been asked quite a few times -- try a search. Personally I've run aftermarket wires OTVC and through the stock looms, and I've had better luck OTVC. First important thing is to get cut-to-length wires, it makes your life a whole lot easier. Invest in some heat shields too.. Taylor makes great ones (ThunderRacing sells some). Just have patience and be thorough when you're routing them and you'll be fine.

Here is how I did mine:

Old 02-25-2007, 05:30 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 97REDZ28
Accel 300+ wires. I had MSDs and they lasted a year before getting brittle and cracking. The Taylor Spiro Pros could withstand heat better, but the insulation in them didn't seem to good, car got a WOT hesitation after about 10 months with those. Switched to the Accel 300+ wires and everything has been fine for 4 years now, they still look and perform like brand new.

I just remember shaking my head in disbelief over how those $90 MSDs turned to **** so fast.
Old 02-26-2007, 12:43 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by WhyHelloOfficer
This question has been asked quite a few times -- try a search. Personally I've run aftermarket wires OTVC and through the stock looms, and I've had better luck OTVC. First important thing is to get cut-to-length wires, it makes your life a whole lot easier. Invest in some heat shields too.. Taylor makes great ones (ThunderRacing sells some). Just have patience and be thorough when you're routing them and you'll be fine.
looks just like mine minus the heat shields. I should invest in them though. they seem like a good product.

OTVC FTW, oh and I have tried msd, taylor (8.5 adn 10.5), and accel. to be honest never noticed a difference. the 10.5's sucked to run anywhere and they will all burn if they are close enough. right now im with taylor 8.5's using the msd-6a and not one problem.

also +1 on getting the already cut to fit. I didn't and it was one of the worst experiences ever. actually had to have G-Force help me out with the end of it.
Old 02-26-2007, 01:03 AM
Launching!

Mine is routed closely the same as WhyHelloOfficer's click on my car domain click on the pic to make it bigger

Quick Reply: Installing MSD Wires