LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

gauge idea

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2007, 08:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by camar0corey
So all you T/A guys don't really use your A/C much? I kinda feel ripped off with the little square vents that point at the driver in the Camaros. I'd love to have some big old circle vents.
Personally, I wouldn't do gauges unless I have something off the wall done like boost or nitrous. Then I would only use maybe two vents cause it looks gay when they are all filled in. I use my ac all the time, so again, I wouldn't use up every vent. At least your have the benefit of putting a scanmaster in your vent. I was gona get one, but don't know a good place for it.
Old 02-26-2007, 08:56 PM
9 Second Club

i posted this picture like a billion times but you're probably looking to do this no????

not really hard to do really..... you have to take your time and you need to have a 2" holesaw, a dremel tool, steady hands (no monster energy drink beforehand), and you pretty much have to tear down all the electronics behind the panel....

rewiring the thing i wouldn't be able to help you with since i removed my HVAC stuff and my car never had AC (1LE)... I imagine you could do some research and find out what type of switches that GM uses and get new ones and relocate the panel to maybe inside the glovebox or sumthing???? you might just be able to lengthen the wires that go to the panel so you can move it.....

I can do this mod to your stock panel if you're not willing to do it for a small fee.... hell send the gauges with it and i'll install em and send the thing back to you.... pm me if interested...
Old 02-26-2007, 09:00 PM
9 Second Club

I was thinking about trying to fit two gauges in that pocket next to the cig lighter,under the radio. It a freaking huge hole and I never use it anyway. I was thinking it would look sharp if I could make a plate out of some aluminum and shoot in black to match the dash and mount the gauges in there. The only problem is that I would have to completely look away from the road to glance at them. But it would just look neat to have the gauges down there and it would be a real subtle look in my opinion.

Does anyone have any pics of mounting them in that cubby?
Back in the day RK Sport used to make a plate that covered that cubby hole and was designed to mount two 2 1/16" autometer gauges in there as well as two toggle switches for whatever you wanted.. looked cool as ****.... but since our cars only had the cubby for a couple of years they discontinued the part..... don't know anybody that bought one back then that still has one....
Old 02-26-2007, 11:22 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by OutlawZ
Back in the day RK Sport used to make a plate that covered that cubby hole and was designed to mount two 2 1/16" autometer gauges in there as well as two toggle switches for whatever you wanted.. looked cool as ****.... but since our cars only had the cubby for a couple of years they discontinued the part..... don't know anybody that bought one back then that still has one....
Dang that sucks. That was exactly what I was looking for. Sounds like time for some custom work. Does anyone have a pic of what this looked like? I am going to google it in a few minutes and see if I can find anything. If anything, I will call RK and see if I can get some demensions and other info on what they did just to be correct.

-bryan
Old 02-27-2007, 09:39 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by OutlawZ

Just wanted to tell ya that looks really good!
Old 02-27-2007, 08:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

Same type deal here...

Old 02-27-2007, 10:17 PM
TECH Regular

Well I have been PM'ing a guy about where he got his gauge panel and it turns out you can still find them from time to time, but for a pretty penny. So I have started drawing out some plans for how I want to do mine. I need to squirrel away a little money first, mainly for the gauges. But I think it will be nice when it is all done.

-bryan

Last edited by bmccrary; 02-27-2007 at 10:23 PM.
Old 02-27-2007, 10:37 PM
9 Second Club

thanks nate.....
Old 02-28-2007, 08:34 AM
TECH Resident

i just got to find a plastic plate that i could cut out holes for gauges and would fit in the trans am hvac spot
Old 02-28-2007, 12:08 PM
TECH Regular

You can do what I plan on doing and use some scrap metal. Just go to the scrap metal shop a while back and piced up some thin aluminum and used it. I found 2 sheets of it about 10" x 18" for three bucks. It was heavily oxidized, but with some steel whool and paint thiner... its shinny now. Then paint it black to match the interior. I would try that if you can't find any plastic.

-bryan

Last edited by bmccrary; 02-28-2007 at 12:14 PM.
Old 02-28-2007, 01:00 PM
TECH Resident

Old 03-01-2007, 05:08 PM
9 Second Club

any good stereo shop that does full installs is your best friend when it comes to looking for interior quality plastic.... that's where i got all the black textured plastic for my gauge installations.... i mocked up everything including the instrument cluster with it and it looks great..... the texture on it gives it that stock equipment look....

Quick Reply: gauge idea