LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

LT1 forged connecting rods

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2007, 10:15 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The LT1 PM rods don't have the machined flat on the big end. I'll shoot a pic later.
As for the early Corvette LT1s having PM rods, my buddies 93 C4 did not have PM rods however, my 95 did.

edit just did a google search and found this site. Check it out, the pinks are forged but the PMs are stronger.

http://www.automotiverebuilder.com/ar/ar99928.htm

RODS
350 - The original LT1 came with regular forged 350 rods, that were shot peened for localized hardness under the head of the bolt and nut. Powdered metal rods were phased in for the Corvette around 1994 and used in all of the LT1 engines by 1995. GM made the change because the powdered metal rods were cheaper to make and were much stronger than the GM high performance "pink" rods. In fact, they are supposed to be good for up to 450 hp. They are machined at the parting line so they can be reconditioned.

Mike

Last edited by aboatguy; 03-18-2007 at 10:20 AM.
Old 03-18-2007, 10:40 AM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by GAKz28camaro
I didnt now that about the pink rods and the PM rods.You guys think 7psi will hurt my car??
See my original post:

Originally Posted by WhyHelloOfficer
The problem is the hypereutic stock pistons -- they turn into hyperexplosive with any sign of detonation.

If it was me:
A. I wouldn't be too excited about any high ammounts of boost on the stock shortblock. It is on borrowed time as it is. I know when PTK was doing testing on their LT1 Turbo kit -- with a PT76 and 10psi -- the car made 4 passes (and some dyno pulls for tuning) before it started puffing smoke out of the exhaust on the third pass. The fifth pass it let go at half track.

B. If I have my motor out, and I'm rebuilding the motor anyways, I'd get all the right parts the first time. Yes, I'm well aware there is such a thing as budget constraints, but I'd rather have the build take an extra 6 months and know for sure what I'm putting back in the car will put up with any abuse I give it.

Quick Reply: LT1 forged connecting rods