LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

EWP on a DD?

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2007, 05:08 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default EWP on a DD?

so it seems to be about time for a new WP and i am curious as to if it is an ok idea to put a meziere HD water pump into my semi daily driver(i don't drive it everywhere every day but i drive it a decent amount~7000-8000 a year). the meziere and the oem replacement are fairly similiar in price so i figure now would be an appropriate time to upgrade. ill be doing a clutch and headers swap soon so while i am at it i was thinking about an EWP and OEM GM opti. I have read that they can fail, but was wondering if i stick a LED indicator light so if/when it does fail i will know immediately that would help? i have read it is a worth while mod hp wise, but not the best for DD. I have read good things about the meziere compared to the slightly cheaper CSR, and was wondering if the mezeire is a reliable pump for a semi dd. if done a good bit of searching and reading but would like to hear some specific pros and cons. Thanks.
Old 03-23-2007, 06:19 AM
11 Second Club

All pros really, no real cons per say, great upgrade.
Old 03-23-2007, 07:26 AM
TECH Apprentice

Even with a dead pump your led will stay "on"

I scrap my motors because of a faulty ewp.I was in heavy traffic with no exit really close to me.

Result: i overheat,scrap the head gasket and was beginning to hydroluck so....

The 9-10 whp that give an ewp is worthless in my opinion on a street car.

If the stock one begin to fail ,you will still have plenty of time to take the car home and change it without any motor damage.

My 2 cents
Old 03-23-2007, 08:03 AM
11 Second Club

No problems with it on my DD after 20k miles.

Weither you have an EWP or a mechanical pump, if it goes out you are in the same boat.
Park it, fix it or tow it.

Driving around with your temp over towards the 250* mark is a great way to warp your heads or at least blow the head gasket.

If you get stuck in gridlock traffic and can't park it ... that's just a bad place to be.
Would a mechanical pump have saved "always faster"? Maybe ..
Old 03-23-2007, 08:17 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by always faster
Even with a dead pump your led will stay "on"

I scrap my motors because of a faulty ewp.I was in heavy traffic with no exit really close to me.

Result: i overheat,scrap the head gasket and was beginning to hydroluck so....

The 9-10 whp that give an ewp is worthless in my opinion on a street car.

If the stock one begin to fail ,you will still have plenty of time to take the car home and change it without any motor damage.

My 2 cents
That's a damn good 2 cents worth I have to admit. I've never heard of a bad story till yours man, that sucks man. I would venture to say it's more like 3-4 rwhp. Perhaps not worth it to many folks.
Old 03-23-2007, 09:18 AM
TECH Fanatic

I want to hear more on this, because I have not made a decision yet either. What is really pushing me towards EWP is the timing chain selection. Your pretty much stuck with LT4ED unless you use EWP
Old 03-23-2007, 09:23 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by James Montigny

If you get stuck in gridlock traffic and can't park it ... that's just a bad place to be.

Tell Me! I once lost an aluminum headed engine when the single electric fan motor went out. I was stuck in traffic during a heavy thunderstorm and couldn't get pulled over. In hind sight I later wished that I had just shut it down and pissed off thousands of people.
Old 03-23-2007, 09:37 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Razor_Blade
Tell Me! I once lost an aluminum headed engine when the single electric fan motor went out. I was stuck in traffic during a heavy thunderstorm and couldn't get pulled over. In hind sight I later wished that I had just shut it down and pissed off thousands of people.

I will have no problems shutting down shop on the freeway, when it comes to thousands of dollars.

Here in houston they will tow you 3 miles to get you off the freeway. They actually force you to be towed off.
Old 03-23-2007, 09:45 AM
On The Tree

Does anyone know how the EWP fail? ie. do the motors just seize or do the brushes get wore out and then they stop working. thanks.
Old 03-23-2007, 10:15 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would assume they fail from the brushes getting warn out. I have had the same EWP on my car for 5 years, with no problems. On the other hand I have went through 3 flex a lite syclone cooling fans.
Old 03-23-2007, 12:03 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by ws6chicken
Does anyone know how the EWP fail? ie. do the motors just seize or do the brushes get wore out and then they stop working. thanks.
Brush failure or the bearings seize. I actually have an elec. H20 pump to go on my Z, but am still hesitant even though I've ran one on the street before. I had a buddy blow a head gasket on a forged 355, and I'm just bolt ons, but don't want the headache.
Old 03-23-2007, 12:30 PM
Launching!

if you keep an eye on the temp gauge it should be fine i would think no? if you see it start to rise shut the motor off and tow it. to blow a headgasket you have to have it overheating for a bit and even longer to warp a head or damage the block right? is the 5 or 10 hp not worth the risk or is the risk pretty small.
Old 03-23-2007, 12:44 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by 97blackz28
to blow a headgasket you have to have it overheating for a bit and even longer to warp a head or damage the block right?

If we were talking iron headed engines here, I would agree with your statement. Aluminum heads are pretty fragile when it comes to overheating.
Old 03-23-2007, 02:58 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by -PEPE-
That's a damn good 2 cents worth I have to admit. I've never heard of a bad story till yours man, that sucks man. I would venture to say it's more like 3-4 rwhp. Perhaps not worth it to many folks.
Yep it suck really bad.After putting so much money in my car(look sig) my motor overheat because of a faulty ewp.It was less then 4k olds and the bearing seize

I admit that for a drag car its perfect but now i got a brand new LT4 motor with a mechanical pump and peace of mind
Old 03-23-2007, 03:06 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by 97blackz28
if you keep an eye on the temp gauge it should be fine i would think no? if you see it start to rise shut the motor off and tow it. to blow a headgasket you have to have it overheating for a bit and even longer to warp a head or damage the block right? is the 5 or 10 hp not worth the risk or is the risk pretty small.

Actually yes but...In the first undred miles you check your gauge very often to be sure that there is no problem then you started to trust it and look at the gauge less often an then you get into high speed race or in heavy traffic and its too late.I can tell you that it didnt take that much time to overheat and warped my head,blow the head gasket and since it was beginning to hydrolock the crank bend a little(thousand of an inch) .

Thats just my opinion.I ve heard a lot of peaple having ewp for a long time 20k or more without any problem but i ve also read a lot of member on camaroz28.com that blow there head gasket because of a faulty ewp.

At the end its your choice.My mind is set and my car will never ever see another ewp
Old 03-24-2007, 01:43 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 46 Likes on 31 Posts

a csr is going on my car mostly because of the leakage problems ALL the mechanical pumps have. i dont really care about the power gains, mostly just opti life as well as timing chain selection. i check my temp gauge all the time in my 04 colorado daily driver. just a habit of mine to keep up on whats going on with my vehicles.
Old 03-24-2007, 03:44 AM
10 Second Club

I always check my guages..ALWAYS making sure oil pressure is good..oil temp is good(yes i have an oil temp guage) water temp...everything...if you get in the habbit of always making sure everything is good..then there should be no problem..as soon as you see any un normal rise in temp..shut it down before you do something stupid..its alot easier for us guys with 160* thermos(and im sure everyone with an EWP has a 160)..so its not like the engine is going to blow up immediately AFTER it dies...and the pump dying is like anything else..sometimes you just get a shitty unit and theres nothing you can do about that..same goes with clutches and engines..but you dont see people staying stock for that reason.
Old 03-24-2007, 03:57 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Guy named Thomas Fish was building idiot lights for ewps. Do a search. However, I don't know if he's made another run of them in a while.
Old 03-24-2007, 04:32 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by always faster
Yep it suck really bad.After putting so much money in my car(look sig) my motor overheat because of a faulty ewp.It was less then 4k olds and the bearing seize

I admit that for a drag car its perfect but now i got a brand new LT4 motor with a mechanical pump and peace of mind
Good point man! Well there is a mod somewhere online, someone on camaroz28.com was selling it for like $50 bucks and it has an 80db alarm that buzzes inside when your EWP fails, nice prevention if you forget to look at your gauge. I'm glued to all of them, but would like to add this to my build eventually. Anyone have some info on the alarm let me know please!
Old 03-24-2007, 04:37 AM
hashtagBMW

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That does sound like a killer system. I like the alarm idea.

I would think that most people look at there guages, at least id hope they do.

Tony.

Quick Reply: EWP on a DD?