LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Alum Sheetmetal door panels

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2007, 05:30 AM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Alum Sheetmetal door panels

While back someone posted their build pics of these, top notch job! Really need some dimensions and would love to copycat what you made if you're cool with that. I'm also ditching my plastic center shift console with a custom alum fabbed replacement, smaller with some gauge and toggle provisions.

Appreciate any help!
Old 03-24-2007, 09:40 AM
TECH Enthusiast

OutlawZ actually did it and looked real nice. Here is the link to his original post.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthrea...al+door+panels

Im sure he'll chime in here soon.

Mike
Old 03-24-2007, 09:58 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by PunishedU
OutlawZ actually did it and looked real nice. Here is the link to his original post.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthrea...al+door+panels

Im sure he'll chime in here soon.

Mike
badass..thanks for doing the search..lol I was being lazy. I'll see if he's cool with me copying first ...
Old 03-24-2007, 10:26 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I made these for my old white 94 Z28. I ordered the blank panels from Jeg's and just notched and cut myself. Just have to be creative in your thinking on how you want it to look. I liked it at first but afterwards I realized I would have rather just kept the stock panels cause it didn't save much weight and the stock panels just looked better unless your whole car had tin work.
Old 03-24-2007, 12:15 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by The Big Show
I made these for my old white 94 Z28. I ordered the blank panels from Jeg's and just notched and cut myself. Just have to be creative in your thinking on how you want it to look. I liked it at first but afterwards I realized I would have rather just kept the stock panels cause it didn't save much weight and the stock panels just looked better unless your whole car had tin work.
hmm..good point Bobby, I'm so back and forth right now, guess with a s/m dash and everything else it'd be ideal...but then it starts looking like a door slammer, blah...I'm not there yet...maybe when I'm 53 Vs. 43 ...I even thought about putting a nice radio back in mine, like having a lil Metallica banging before the burnout box. Then again I could just get an Ipod Nano and save weight

Last edited by -PEPE-; 03-25-2007 at 05:11 PM.
Old 03-24-2007, 08:55 PM
9 Second Club

Brett, PM me and i'll hook you up with teh info........

My panels are carpeted now with all the window cranks and ****... look way better now...

Last edited by OutlawZ; 03-25-2007 at 12:12 AM.
Old 03-25-2007, 01:48 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by -PEPE-
hmm..good point Bobby, I'm so back and forth right now, guess with a s/m dash and everything else it'd be ideal...but then it starts looking like a door slammer, blah...I'm not there yet...maybe when I'm 53 Vs. 43 ...I even thought about putting a nice radio back in mine, like having a lil music Metallica before the burnout box. Then again I could just get an Ipod Nano and save weight
It's definitely all a matter of choice. I know that in my mind I wanted the doorslammer look and thought it would be cool to open the door and see that but it really got old in a hurry and once you do it, it's really hard to go back cause you know you've invested alot of time.

Not to mention you go to the track and see other cars that are alot faster than yours with full interior that look alot better. It's all about what the individual wants tho...

Your car doesn't just look like a racecar. It's looks really nice and there's something to be said when a car looks and sounds like yours on the outside and you open the door and still see a real nicely done interior.
Old 03-25-2007, 02:21 PM
TECH Regular

good point; it looks cool to see a fast car and then see that it is streetable on top of that. Not alot of people can say that.
Old 03-25-2007, 05:14 PM
9 Second Club

i didn't remove mine for weight... the way we did my cage i would have had to hack the door panel to get the cage bars to fit... so i did it for bar clearance.....

the weight was just a bonus.... and that's the reason i carpeted them. to maintain the full interior look.... i refuse to strip down my interior...
Old 03-25-2007, 05:16 PM
11 Second Club

Oh snap it was Outlawz... , I'll shoot you a PM for the specs, be good to have if I get crazy. Was out there looking at the interior today, poor car needs new carpet and seats so bad. The cracked plastic velcroe'd dash panel...that's about it really. Would love a badass stereo in it maybe.

I don't know man...think Bobby & Jay make a good point, the car still looks nice, with the Kirkeys, new lightweight carpet...maybe some John Deere floor mats
Old 03-25-2007, 05:16 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by OutlawZ
i didn't remove mine for weight... the way we did my cage i would have had to hack the door panel to get the cage bars to fit... so i did it for bar clearance.....

the weight was just a bonus.... and that's the reason i carpeted them. to maintain the full interior look.... i refuse to strip down my interior...
I don't think your's looks stripped personally, in fact thats a really clean install the carpet just finished it off.
Old 03-25-2007, 06:08 PM
11 Second Club

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

I'd leave the original panels and run the car and see where you're at...There's nothing more badass than a fast car with an street car interior...When we do my roll bar we are going to put the back seats back in and add a nice stereo unit for cruising around...imho those door panels = race car...

--Alan
Old 03-25-2007, 06:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

Hey BigShow do you have that thing running yet? If you do any times?
Old 03-25-2007, 07:49 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Hot94Z28
Hey BigShow do you have that thing running yet? If you do any times?
I was out there messing with it today and running into nothing but problems so I cut my day short to keep my sanity. It'll be running within the next couple months guaranteed tho. My buddy told me today that he is going to buy my dyno tuning time if I finish it up so that is just more incentive.

One thing I wanted to say was that I wasn't implying that Outlaw's car looked bad cause I wasn't. I was just sharing my own experience and my own opinion and thats it. Everyone knows what they like and it doesn't matter what anyone else thinks.

I know what you mean about the doorbars tho...We just ended up bending mine around the door panels so it worked out nicely. Ofcourse I helped doing the install so I was able to have the bars bent specifically for me which makes a big difference.
Old 03-25-2007, 08:36 PM
9 Second Club

One thing I wanted to say was that I wasn't implying that Outlaw's car looked bad cause I wasn't. I was just sharing my own experience and my own opinion and thats it. Everyone knows what they like and it doesn't matter what anyone else thinks.
Oh no I never thought that... to each his own..... I would have kept my stock door panels but because of the way I wanted to do my cage they had to go.... Other than that my car is full interior and unmodified.... besides the HVAC and passenger side airbag removed.... I too didn't want the complete racecar look..... If I did I would have done everything in tinwork, or the VFN fiberglass dash..... not worth the weight savings IMO....
Old 03-25-2007, 08:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by The Big Show
I was out there messing with it today and running into nothing but problems so I cut my day short to keep my sanity. It'll be running within the next couple months guaranteed tho. My buddy told me today that he is going to buy my dyno tuning time if I finish it up so that is just more incentive.
Sweet it will be nice to see some times in that thing.

Quick Reply: Alum Sheetmetal door panels