LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Need Help Quick w Code

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2007, 02:12 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need Help Quick w Code

Running Data master on my 95 T/A OBD 1. Have MALF 43 ECS Failed. I thought this code meant bad knock sensor, changed it and there is no change. What does this code mean? Do I have to disconnect the battery or pull the PCM fuse for this to reset?

Last edited by mack; 03-26-2007 at 02:19 PM.
Old 03-26-2007, 02:49 PM
KTM
On The Tree

To my knowledge, yes. You have to re-boot to get rid of a code...if it comes back - then you still have the problem.
Old 03-26-2007, 02:56 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by KTM
To my knowledge, yes. You have to re-boot to get rid of a code...if it comes back - then you still have the problem.
Got it, Thanks.
Old 03-26-2007, 03:36 PM
9-Second Club

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by mack
Running Data master on my 95 T/A OBD 1. Have MALF 43 ECS Failed. I thought this code meant bad knock sensor, changed it and there is no change. What does this code mean? Do I have to disconnect the battery or pull the PCM fuse for this to reset?
You don't (shouldn't) just change parts due to a DTC. That code means the PCM sees something in that circuit out of spec. The connector at the knock sensor causes a lot of problems in that circuit. Could be a wire, the connector dirty or loose, the ESC module in the PCM, the PCM, etc. There are diagnostic procedured in the shop manuals for diagnosing these codes.
Old 03-26-2007, 10:41 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Ed Wright
You don't (shouldn't) just change parts due to a DTC. That code means the PCM sees something in that circuit out of spec. The connector at the knock sensor causes a lot of problems in that circuit. Could be a wire, the connector dirty or loose, the ESC module in the PCM, the PCM, etc. There are diagnostic procedured in the shop manuals for diagnosing these codes.
What wasthe actual problem?

Quick Reply: Need Help Quick w Code