LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

new motor good, old trans bad..

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2007, 09:47 AM
KTM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default new motor good, old trans bad..

Help ! I posted in transmission sections...but don't think that board gets the traffic this does.

Got the 355 running last night - very nice !!!! But the transmission (that was supposed to be good) doesn't shift into 3rd. First, second and reverse are fine - no third. Thoughts ? I was thinking maybe limp mode ?? (Hoping more like it) what does limp mode do ? It was probably in it when the motor spun the bearings and the guy drove it home rattling all the way. He did say something about it not shiftin into high or something - I was thinking limp back then. Anyhow - it would be the first thing I found on this car that the guy I bought it from lied about - but I did pull the pan off and change the filter and it looked good inside, clean - not burnt - nothing. It does have plenty of fluid.
Old 04-03-2007, 10:18 AM
TECH Resident

I'm pretty sure the "limp home mode" would have reset if you disconnected the battery while doing the engine swap. I hope it's nothing serious.
Old 04-03-2007, 11:08 AM
KTM
On The Tree

That was my thought too...but maybe something else has put it back into limp mode....I removed all the emmissions from the car - and have SES light on - so the computer may be doing this. That's why I was wondering what exactly limp mode does ???
Old 04-03-2007, 02:42 PM
On The Tree

i thought limp mode defauted to 3rd gear only thats just what ive heard what codes is it throwing?
Old 04-03-2007, 04:07 PM
KTM
On The Tree

not sure what codes are throwing. Don't have a way to read them.

Quick Reply: new motor good, old trans bad..