LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

exhaust gas inside.

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2007, 09:27 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default exhaust gas inside.

I just put some used edelbrock headers on my 95 lt1 and i have been smelling a lot of gas or fumes inside the car when i am going down the road. at times it smells like straight gas. i don't have a cat on my car could that be why. i don't think there is any leaks anywhere. the headers are sealed up tight on the heads. and i don't see black carbon on anything were it could be leaking. what do you guys think?? i just don't want to get sick of the fumes or anything.

i was just thinking about it and it gets really bad when i am wot and then get off of the gas. i can really smell it bad then. And it also smells like straight gas back by the gas cap. that is where the evap canister is right?? could the lines for the evap be pluged?

Last edited by knightrider95; 04-14-2007 at 09:35 PM.
Old 04-14-2007, 11:38 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well gas is very distinctive youd know if it is gas or not, with fumes you would probably be getting dizzy.

Its either an exhaust or gas leak.

Your supposed to check to see if you need to retighten header bolts after a few days of driving incase they backed out on you. Same thing with the headers and wherever it connects to the rest of your exhaust seeing its right under the car fumes could be coming up inside.

If its a strong gas smell, check for any leaks around the tank, filler neck, lines..etc.

Best things I can think of just my .02.

Quick Reply: exhaust gas inside.