LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

canton oil pan?

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2007, 06:28 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default canton oil pan?

For those of you using a canton oil pan part # 242T how much oil are yall putting in ?
Old 04-15-2007, 07:09 AM
TECH Veteran

I think that one holds 6 1/2 qts. You might find it to hold 7 though. Seems like it was that way with mine.
Old 04-15-2007, 07:13 AM
On The Tree

i always put 7 and it always reads low when i check it. but i never put more then 7, it seems that would be too much!
Old 04-15-2007, 08:05 AM
10 Second Club

mine takes like 7 and a 1/3
Old 04-15-2007, 10:45 AM
TECH Veteran

I guess after the oil filter fills up then it would probably read a little low. If it ain't up on the stick then I wouldn't hesitate to put more in. The stick isn't going to lie to you.
Old 04-15-2007, 11:06 AM
TECH Apprentice

?????
I was told that it was a 6 quart capacity pan. I put 6 quarts in. That is it. I have never had oil starving issues at 6500 rpms...
The stock dipstick would never ever give you the correct reading on an aftermarket pan, simple as that. I remarked mine so I know where the level is...
When it barely registers, its at 5 quarts, and I took a punch and marked where it is at 6 quarts... far below the low line of the stock dipstick.
This new pan is wider and deeper than the stocker, so why would you expect the stock dipstick to measure correctly??
If you put too much oil in it, the crank with be slappin the oil, causing lots of problems. When I got my instructions for the pan, it said you have to remark your stock dipstick so you know where your oil is at.
Hope this helps guys, and please let me know if you have heard something different than me from a reputable source!!
~Cody

EDIT: link to pan specs:
http://canton.carshopinc.com/product...edcea2d06f3b5e

Last edited by FirebirdStud; 04-15-2007 at 11:13 AM.
Old 04-15-2007, 11:17 AM
TECH Veteran

My rationale is that the bottom of the block is still the bottom of the block. Your dipstick still bolts in as normal. It would read the same cuz the correct oil level with a stock pan is still where the oil level should be no matter how deep or wide you make the pan. It should still reach that level. Am I wrong in thinking that?
Old 04-15-2007, 11:49 AM
TECH Apprentice

I guess you could use that, but since mine is now a stroker, my crank moves in a bigger circle.
So, Seeing how the engineers of the pan said that at 6 quarts of oil, there will be ZERO issues with starvation, and less oil to go flying into the crank when you hammer on it or nail the gas, or corner sharply, I would have to lean toward just using 6 quarts, expecially at the price of mobile 0ne synthetic these days!

You can chose whichever quantity you would like to put in your motor. Just know that at 438 rwhp and driving like a total @ss, I have yet to have ANY issues at 6 quarts, and the motor has 5 thousand miles on it now.

Good luck man, just trying to relate my experiences. This in no way makes me correct, just my experiences! Happy f-body'ing

Last edited by FirebirdStud; 04-15-2007 at 01:03 PM.
Old 04-15-2007, 12:00 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by FirebirdStud
I guess you could use that, but since mine is now a stocker, my crank moves in a bigger circle.
I think you mean stroker. Yeah mine's a stroker crank too. I always go by the stick. If one has some consumption or slight leakage, then you have to go by the stick cuz you're constantly checking it. I've never marked mine cuz it seemed accurate after filling it to specified volume anyway. Even with the stroker crank, I believe there's a good bit of room before you start hitting the oil.
Old 04-15-2007, 01:08 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by dhdenney
I think you mean stroker. Yeah mine's a stroker crank too. I always go by the stick. If one has some consumption or slight leakage, then you have to go by the stick cuz you're constantly checking it. I've never marked mine cuz it seemed accurate after filling it to specified volume anyway. Even with the stroker crank, I believe there's a good bit of room before you start hitting the oil.
yup, sorry I meant stroker. I fixed that typo.
I always go by the stick as well, but I just remarked it for the new pan like I stated above. No one should drive without checking that bad boy often, excpecially on a hi-perf motor!
I agree, there is prolly a fair amount of room between the oil and the crank, but again, I cant see needing the extra quart when the pan says it performs as intended with 6. That is less oil flying around when you drive it like you stole it, like at the track. Im sure either way you will be fine, but with the amount of money this car is costing me, I can do without spending more than I need to on oil.

Quick Reply: canton oil pan?