LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Lt1 torque monster...no horspower though.

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2007, 07:57 PM
11 Second Club

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Nope, its a hydraulic roller...No secrets here...I'd love others to be as fast or faster than me with these little cams...This is supposed to be a fun hobby where everyone benefits...Its an Erson custom grind spec'd by Joe Overton...226/234 .568"/.568" on a 111 lsa...

--Alan
Old 04-18-2007, 08:15 PM
11 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Hey guys,thanks for the tips/advice. I really had emissions in mind when the package was originally done, but since I haven't passed anyways...barely, I really would like to get a bit more performance with whichever combo I decide.
I'm starting to get a little blowby so it looks like the motor has to come out. I am considering a stroker to keep the car a little more tame on the street. I don't want to have to overstall it in order to keep up with a bigger cam in a smaller cube motor. I hope that the new combo will work well with the 3200 stall I currently have.
As you guys have suggested, the heads would be a good place to start. There are more lt1 porters out there now and I'm sure vast improvements have been made with the lt1 head since I had mine done. I really can't complain much with how well the car has run for the past few years but now it looks like it may be time to turn to something else.
I know it would probably be easier to go faster with an ls1, but I love my old school small block and the way it sounds and feels.
Old 04-18-2007, 08:22 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ABA383
Nope, its a hydraulic roller...No secrets here...I'd love others to be as fast or faster than me with these little cams...This is supposed to be a fun hobby where everyone benefits...Its an Erson custom grind spec'd by Joe Overton...226/234 .568"/.568" on a 111 lsa...

--Alan

Oh not sure where I thought I read that. Regardless, I think we can honestly say your cam is a true custom grind, lol. Obviously a well thought out combo.
Old 04-18-2007, 08:28 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by big dave
Hey guys,thanks for the tips/advice. I really had emissions in mind when the package was originally done, but since I haven't passed anyways...barely, I really would like to get a bit more performance with whichever combo I decide.
I'm starting to get a little blowby so it looks like the motor has to come out. I am considering a stroker to keep the car a little more tame on the street. I don't want to have to overstall it in order to keep up with a bigger cam in a smaller cube motor. I hope that the new combo will work well with the 3200 stall I currently have.
As you guys have suggested, the heads would be a good place to start. There are more lt1 porters out there now and I'm sure vast improvements have been made with the lt1 head since I had mine done. I really can't complain much with how well the car has run for the past few years but now it looks like it may be time to turn to something else.
I know it would probably be easier to go faster with an ls1, but I love my old school small block and the way it sounds and feels.
Whatever combo you might choose, I just wanted to let you know that my 396 with the medium sized cam is pretty friendly on the street with the 3400 stall. Low end is no problem. My cam may not have been the best choice for my combo but it's got great driveability IMHO. In other words, the stroker soaks up some duration. If cam swaps were cheaper and not so labor intensive, I'd probably have done 4 or 5 by now just to see.
Old 04-18-2007, 08:52 PM
11 Second Club

--Alan
I might be with you on the small cam thing...Actually, a few weeks back I installed an old grind that I had years ago with 230/230 .598/.598 lift. A freind no longer needed it and went with a big mechanical roller. I do think I'll lose some trap speed, but I gladly give that up for a faster time. It is fun driving around with a small cam that's for sure, 15 inches of vacuum at idle on my combo...and it sounds like a hotcam in my car....Hopefully, it wil do better than a 11.40's now and will put me in the 11.1-11.2's full weight+roll bar. And then there's always a 150-200 shot of juice...
Old 04-19-2007, 05:29 AM
11 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Hey Dave...I wouldn't be too quick to lose the SLP shorties...I got no rwhp increase going from my 1 5/8" shorties to my Kooks LTs....I think I picked up 1 mph in the 1/4...Not a huge gain for the almost $1000 for the headers/y-pipe.....You get up to Jimmy Cone in Mt. Airy at all?...There's a cruise in thing up there on Saturday night from 6pm on...I'm planning on being there and I could give you my cam card to look at...

--Alan
I wouldn't go too expensive with the longtubes, probably try hookers or jet hot. Once you get to your level of performance, tenths of a second become much harder to find.
I don't really hang out up Mt. Airy but I would be willing to come through if it's a nice place to hang.
When will you make it back to the track?
Old 04-19-2007, 12:47 PM
11 Second Club

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by big dave
I wouldn't go too expensive with the longtubes, probably try hookers or jet hot. Once you get to your level of performance, tenths of a second become much harder to find.
I don't really hang out up Mt. Airy but I would be willing to come through if it's a nice place to hang.
When will you make it back to the track?
I'm trying to get a Friday free, but this week is out which stinks because its going to be nice...Also looking at doing a rental on a Friday from 11-4 for $100/car...Mt Airy is nice...They have cruise ins on the 1st and 3rd Sat in Mt Airy at the Jimmie Cone and on the 2nd and 4th Sat at the Home Depot in Eldersburg on 32 at 26...

--Alan

Quick Reply: Lt1 torque monster...no horspower though.