LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Borla OR Flowmaster ???

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2007, 08:48 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well, I still have the stock cat on it, I'm going to get a high flow one. I have Hooker Copitition shorty headers and to be quite honest with you folks, it sounds awesome, we all the Camaro fans meet here in my town every Saturday night, you see at least 15-20 Camaros LT1s LS1s Z28s and SSs, I got lots of complements on how my car sounds with the flowmaster but again, maybe I THINK it sounds good because I didn't hear a Borla muffler on it yet, and now after your opinions who am I to argue with your experience !!
I did listen to the sound here, I can not judge yet because it's just a stupid computer speakers on my desk, I wanna hear it in person. So far the Borla is winning, I'll wait for some more opinions and see what happens. As far as SLP I'm not even thinking to go with it, I heard it on LS1 and on LT1, come on guys, the loud mouth was made for LS1 to sound 10 times better than on LT1, I didn't like the SLP loud mouth on LT1, correct me if you think I'm wrong.
Your opinions are very much appreciated.
Old 04-28-2007, 09:20 AM
TECH Regular

no offense but that's lke saying what do you think is better, diamonds or glass, salsbury steak or porterhouse. Of course the Borla is better in every shape and form. Your comparing one system that's a G note to ones that's barely a couple hundred bucks.
Old 04-28-2007, 09:26 AM
On The Tree

Waw, I never really knew that Flowmasters are "Nothing" compared to Borlas till now, I really didn't. After all these opinions I feel bad starting my Zee with the flowmaster on it today , what in the hell was I thinking?
What type of high flow cat should I buy, Brand?
Old 04-28-2007, 10:09 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by YoungGunLs1
Okay, I don't know why someone would say a fart can on a civic sounds better than Borla on a LT1..WTF??? but I have personally have experience Flomaster on a 86 Iroc-z, Flowmaster, Dynomax, and Magnaflow on a LT1, Borla on a LS1, and now Borla on a LT1, and BY FAR Borla on a LT1 is the best yet, and If someone comments on Borla only hearing it on a LS1 before, there is a big difference between sound from the Borla on a LS1 and LT1..trust me, I went from a LS1 with borla, to driving my current car 5 minutes later with Borla and I could not beleive how great it sounded over the LS1...if you do headers and no cats, it may be a little raspy, but throw a bullet muffler on there and you are set.

Also if you do a search on here under the LT1 section, you will find a thread with a poll on best sounding Cat-Back and Borla and GMMG were the top 2 by far, with flowmaster being at the bottom from what I remember when I saw the thread...so definately do a search.

We also have a 69 camaro SS with true duals, H-pipe, and Hooker Mufflers, and a 70 Chevelle SS 454 with a pretty large cam, True Duals, H-pipe, and Flowmaster 50 series mufflers, and I would rank my LT1 with the Borla second in the best sounding that we have had in the household, with the Chevelle up-top by quite a bit (true duals, large cam, + flowmaster on a 454 sounds so amazing...

But like others have said, if you are going to buy a NEW Borla system, definately for the same price go with GMMG...because GMMG is hands down the best sounding Cat-back for both the LT1 and LS1...(I have heard it on both, and I love it) but True Duals are gonna be the best sound overall IMO...
what type of bullet muffler would u recommend... or should i just go with hi-flow cats.. i just dont want to lose any performance
Old 04-28-2007, 11:00 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by transambandit
just FYI for you, the borla with LT will sound raspy, throw on a hi flow cat and you will get much better sound
Yes, good advice. This is one of the reasons I left a high flow cat on my car. Not only do I not have to worry about inspections, but the car does have a better tone. It's still very loud outside and quiet in the car. I've had a trustworthy friend hop in my car and go screaming past me and full throttle and it is very loud. I get compliments on the sound all the time.
Old 04-28-2007, 11:03 AM
Launching!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

if u want to go cheap there is always magnaflow, but i give the +1 to gmmg
Old 04-28-2007, 11:31 AM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

+2 for magnaflow. i just had my magnaflow and highflow cat installed on my Z i get a hard on at about 2500 rpm's everyday Sounds ABSOLUTLY amazing. I ran Pacesetter Longtubes and ORY but when i had the muffler put in i had the shop throw in my new High Flow cat. Keeps the rasp WAY down. sounds good and kinda quiet at idle but when you drive away or go WOT it has a nasty mean rumble and i LOVE it.
Old 04-28-2007, 12:07 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by LS1 Eddie
Yes, good advice. This is one of the reasons I left a high flow cat on my car. Not only do I not have to worry about inspections, but the car does have a better tone. It's still very loud outside and quiet in the car. I've had a trustworthy friend hop in my car and go screaming past me and full throttle and it is very loud. I get compliments on the sound all the time.

need a sound clip.. i can get 3" magnaflow cats for $50 each and im sure it would be around $20 for 2 installed since im good friensd with the exhaust shop
Old 04-28-2007, 12:19 PM
On The Tree

have you considered corsa? I have it, dual high flow cats, and LT's and I think it sounds great. Its a little louder than stock at idel, but when you hit the gas, it roars. I have noticed very very little rasp. Its not quite as expensive as borla, but still kinda expensinve. def worth it in the long run, just my .02. I have a ton of clips, PM me if your interested in hearing them!
Old 04-28-2007, 12:31 PM
LT1
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

borla's sound good with stock displacement, or maybe 383 too, anything more and borla sound horrible.

big ci engines sound better with 40 series flowmaster.
Old 04-28-2007, 12:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

I have a flowmaster and it does sound good, but I have heard that its a bit restrictive compared to the other brands, Borla is really really expensive, it sounds good, but I think the flowmaster sounds better, like said above is you are gonna spend the money for the Borla, just spend a few hundred more and get the GMMG, that is the best sounding and probably best flowing in my opinion
Old 04-28-2007, 01:03 PM
On The Tree

Be for i got the turbo i had SLP loudmouth and i loved it...Performed great sounded crazy...I have heard borla slows u down...I find that hard to believe...
Old 04-28-2007, 01:27 PM
12 Second Club

Well, I've got a bolt on LS1 car with the Borla adjustable catback so here's my thoughts. When I had stock manifolds and Y pipe with the stock cats and everything, The Borla with open plate sounded awesome. I did longtubes and ORY and left the plate open and almost threw up the first time my car reached about 2500 RPMs. The raspy sound was unbelievable. I put the closed plate on, and I still get a small amount of rasp, but barely noticeable. With the closed plate the Borla sounds nasty at WOT and sounds good and pretty quiet actually at partial throttle just driving around town.
Old 04-28-2007, 02:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 48 Likes on 33 Posts
LS1Tech 20 Year Member

Originally Posted by YoungGunLs1
Okay, I don't know why someone would say a fart can on a civic sounds better than Borla on a LT1..WTF??? but I have personally have experience Flomaster on a 86 Iroc-z, Flowmaster, Dynomax, and Magnaflow on a LT1, Borla on a LS1, and now Borla on a LT1, and BY FAR Borla on a LT1 is the best yet, and If someone comments on Borla only hearing it on a LS1 before, there is a big difference between sound from the Borla on a LS1 and LT1..trust me, I went from a LS1 with borla, to driving my current car 5 minutes later with Borla and I could not beleive how great it sounded over the LS1...if you do headers and no cats, it may be a little raspy, but throw a bullet muffler on there and you are set.

Also if you do a search on here under the LT1 section, you will find a thread with a poll on best sounding Cat-Back and Borla and GMMG were the top 2 by far, with flowmaster being at the bottom from what I remember when I saw the thread...so definately do a search.

We also have a 69 camaro SS with true duals, H-pipe, and Hooker Mufflers, and a 70 Chevelle SS 454 with a pretty large cam, True Duals, H-pipe, and Flowmaster 50 series mufflers, and I would rank my LT1 with the Borla second in the best sounding that we have had in the household, with the Chevelle up-top by quite a bit (true duals, large cam, + flowmaster on a 454 sounds so amazing...

But like others have said, if you are going to buy a NEW Borla system, definately for the same price go with GMMG...because GMMG is hands down the best sounding Cat-back for both the LT1 and LS1...(I have heard it on both, and I love it) but True Duals are gonna be the best sound overall IMO...
ive heard both an LS1 and an LT1 in person with them installed and i personally think they sound like a nasty wet fart. and they are worse with engine mods of any sound effecting sort.

if i didnt get my magnaflow catback for free, i was going to make my own 1 chamber flowmaster catback. i might still do that depending on how the magnaflow sounds.
Old 04-28-2007, 04:09 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by mybluez28echoes
Waw, I never really knew that Flowmasters are "Nothing" compared to Borlas till now, I really didn't. After all these opinions I feel bad starting my Zee with the flowmaster on it today , what in the hell was I thinking?
What type of high flow cat should I buy, Brand?
Don't beat yourself up over it lol. But man didn't see the price difference? I mean one]s 800 something and what is the flows like 200 something. That's for a reason. Flowmasters don't flow worth a damn unless you go true dual. But even then I would suggest borlas or bullets.
Old 04-28-2007, 04:18 PM
TECH Enthusiast

i had a chock master before i did the loudmouth set up and it was not much louder than stock .. borla or GmmG all the way. or you can get loudmouth if you want.
Old 04-28-2007, 04:37 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Gun5
need a sound clip.. i can get 3" magnaflow cats for $50 each and im sure it would be around $20 for 2 installed since im good friensd with the exhaust shop
I don't have one. My car has been in storage since October and the battery is dead too. This might help you get a better idea for the combo. I'm not sure if you already have a Borla or not. This is with an ORYP and sounds pretty darn close at idle, however mine still retains a good tone when reved or under throttle on the street.

http://www.lt1engine.com/media/music...php?song_id=40
Old 04-28-2007, 06:03 PM
On The Tree

I just need the muffler, not the whole system. I have a CME (Center Mount Exhaust) tips on my Zee.
Old 04-28-2007, 06:56 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by LS1 Eddie
I don't have one. My car has been in storage since October and the battery is dead too. This might help you get a better idea for the combo. I'm not sure if you already have a Borla or not. This is with an ORYP and sounds pretty darn close at idle, however mine still retains a good tone when reved or under throttle on the street.

http://www.lt1engine.com/media/music...php?song_id=40
i got LT's ORY and Borla w/ electric cutout atm.. no cats either
Old 04-28-2007, 09:14 PM
TECH Resident

Here is the link to the poll for best sounding Cat-back for the LT1....I found it under the sticky The Ultimate NEWBIE LT1 FAQ...then clicked on the best sounding catback, and brought me to this thread, so this should help tell you what the Majority of the LT1 population thinks when it comes to best sounding Catback...

https://ls1tech.com/forums/lt1-lt4-modifications/339785-best-sounding-catback.html

Quick Reply: Borla OR Flowmaster ???