LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Any way to safly adjust the part throttle shifts ('93 A4)?

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2007 | 02:24 PM
12 Second Club

Default Any way to safely adjust the part throttle shifts ('93 A4)?

The '93 Z28 I just got is kinda annoying right now. When I'm just cruising around under light throttle it will go up to 2000rpm before it shifts. It also shifts pretty firmly (was rebuilt a couple years ago, i think they put a shift kit in it). Both of those cause it to surge forward a bit when it shifts. I would really like it to shift down somewhere like 1500-1600 under light throttle like my 4L60E in my TA does. Is there any way I can adjust those shift points to be lower under light throttle?

So far that is the main thing that bugs me. I'm not used to the non-E version on the tranny... There is that problem and also the shifting at WOT. I can be going 65mph and it will downshift, but only to 3rd, and be right at about 3000rpm. Because of that my dad's CTS is capable of outrunning me at 65mph until I get into the higher rpms. I don't exactly understand the 3k though. When I manually shift it to 2nd at 65 it is a lot higher that 3k, and 3rd is lower than 3k, but when I go WOT it goes to right at 3k. It isn't a converter either because the car is completely stock, and drives that way normally.

Last edited by Speedmonster185; 05-16-2007 at 12:42 AM.
Old 05-01-2007 | 02:34 PM
12 Second Club

I hear you on the downshifting issues, my car has the same problem. Its even worse with the converter, I got pulled by a bolt-on car when I left it in drive. Ran it again manually shifting and the outcaome was, well... you know. But im also curious on how to do this. I know that you have to adjust the TV cable, but that's for the WOT shift points. Funny how I've heard these 700r4/4L60 tranny called slushboxes...LOL!! Guess we know why.
Old 05-01-2007 | 02:39 PM
12 Second Club

Yeah. I didn't pay much for the car so I'm actually considering just turning around and selling it since i don't like the tranny so much. I think i could actually make a little money on it because I got it so cheap. I won't sell it if I can fix the stuff i don't like, but if I can't then I'll sell it to someone else to let them mess with it and get it right (or not worry about it). I'll go buy a '94. lol
Old 05-16-2007 | 01:03 AM
12 Second Club

Ok, well I have almost everything I didn't like fixed now except the shifting. I would still really like to figure out how to adjust the low throttle shift points. All I need to do is get the shifting to happen a few thousand rpm lower. My TA shifts at about 1600 or a bit more, and this one shifts at about 2000 or a bit more. I would really like to lower it because it makes for a pretty uncomfortable ride with it surging forward every time it shifts. It also takes a long time to go into the last gear when getting up to higher speeds and it would be really nice if it would go in lower like my TA. It is just right. That is just how I would like the camaro if anyone knows of a way to adjust the shifts. I would greatly appreciate it if someone would be able to help me out with this .
Old 05-16-2007 | 01:21 AM
TECH Veteran
10 Year Member20 Year Member

this thread might help you: http://speeddensity.org/showthread.php?t=1401

apparently you have to remove the governor from the tranny and then replace the springs in it.

Quick Reply: Any way to safly adjust the part throttle shifts ('93 A4)?