LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Exhaust hitting drivesaft at max body twist.

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2007, 06:46 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Exhaust hitting drivesaft at max body twist.

So a while back i pulled out of a donut very acward and well ever since my exhuast has been hitting my driveshaft at max torque. Every time i pin it off the line i dont feel nothing till iam at the top of my gear and then i feel and hear the clunk sound and feel my shifter go up, i also hear fast clicks too . I know its my exhuast hitting my driveshaft because we lifted my car and there it was resting aginst my driveshaft, the pipe hits it at max body twist i guess.

What could this be, do i need a new torque arm or do i need to repostion my pipe or are the hangers bent or wat?
Thanks for the help..
Old 05-03-2007, 12:56 AM
In-Zane Moderator

Received 32 Likes on 19 Posts

Well, i say use a better aftermarket trans mount, also, SUBFRAME connectors, worth their weight in gold.
Old 05-03-2007, 04:12 AM
Teching In

if you lifted your car from anywhere that is not the rear axle or tires than the rear end will sag and the driveshaft may appear to have clearance issues, i know that it happens to me. also, look for any signs or markings on the driveshaft of contact
Old 05-03-2007, 07:50 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by 87lt1rx7
if you lifted your car from anywhere that is not the rear axle or tires than the rear end will sag and the driveshaft may appear to have clearance issues, i know that it happens to me. also, look for any signs or markings on the driveshaft of contact
Can you elaborate further on that?
I just replaced the brakes on my Firebird and now I have a 'bang' on the rear end whenever I take off at anything above "off idle".
Because of limited availability of tools, I had to use the jack that came with the car to lift it enough to get the floor jack under it.

Sara Lou
Old 05-03-2007, 10:15 PM
Teching In

When i finished putting some stuff back together on my car mine hit too. I set the pinion angle (adjustable torque arm), problem solved. (moved the houseing upwards)
Old 05-03-2007, 10:26 PM
11 Second Club

Received 264 Likes on 202 Posts

Mine bounces off my Drive Shaft every now and then, it's a Dynomax Bullet dumped.
Old 05-03-2007, 11:22 PM
Staging Lane

The clunk and the shifter moving up sounds like a broken transmission mount to me. Like 87lt1rx7, the driveshaft and rear end will be at a completely different angle to the transmission and the rest of the car if they are not supported in the air. Like he said, check for signs of wear on the driveshaft and exhaust but it sounds like you broke the transmission mount when you did the donut.
Old 05-04-2007, 10:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default A second vote for subframe connectors

Three point SFCs rock!

After I installed them, the body flex on my f-car was gone!

Originally Posted by ZONES89RS
Well, i say use a better aftermarket trans mount, also, SUBFRAME connectors, worth their weight in gold.
Old 05-04-2007, 10:38 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 87lt1rx7
same if u lift my car up it happens.. my y pipe is crushed where it meets the borla exhaust for clearance purposes and it works great but when u put it on the lift it gests everyone saying "dude your exhaust rubs" lol

Quick Reply: Exhaust hitting drivesaft at max body twist.