LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Fuel pump install problems!

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2007, 06:17 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Fuel pump install problems!

Were putting a walbro 255 pump in my girlfriends 96 z28 and the pump itself doesn't fit in the bucket
Does anybody have any tips or know a link I can check out? Everything we see is for an LS1 and looks nothing like what were working with
Old 05-03-2007, 06:21 PM
Launching!

I trimmed the ribs enough for the pump to go in. then i trimmed the lid by wobbling out the hole were the line hooks up enough to close the lid. I havent had any problems.
Old 05-03-2007, 06:22 PM
TECH Resident

I threw the box,just clamp the pump to the iron and put the filter on,no need for the pump to be in the box
Old 05-03-2007, 07:25 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Ari G
I threw the box,just clamp the pump to the iron and put the filter on,no need for the pump to be in the box

I need to change my pump and like the way that sounds
Old 05-04-2007, 12:56 AM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

^ me too. are you talking about the bucket that your supposed to put the pump in? i have my Racetronix kit but have to install it and that would save some time Let me know if you meant the bucket as i'd LOVE to know
Old 05-04-2007, 04:44 AM
Staging Lane

You can either ONE ditch the bucket and just strap the pump onto the fuel sender/pump bracket, or TWO which is in a way a better solution, just cut the ribs out of the stock bucket. I ended up using a dremel and a grinding bit to get down into mine.
Old 05-04-2007, 10:35 AM
TECH Apprentice

So your saying it would be ok to do it like this?

pump
Old 05-04-2007, 06:31 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Funkybird
So your saying it would be ok to do it like this?

pump
^ thats what i did
Old 05-04-2007, 07:51 PM
TECH Resident

yes throw the bucket
Old 05-04-2007, 07:56 PM
11 Second Club

Received 323 Likes on 245 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

Cool, I got to do this eventually. I got an Access Panel, had to do the Fuel Pump once already..
Old 05-04-2007, 10:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default LT1 / 255 Fuel Pump Install

F/bird -

My replacement fuel pump's inlet hole was centered, not offset like the stock unit. When test fitting the pump, it looked like we (my brother and I) could make the Walbro unit work in the stock location just by slightly modifying the inside of the plastic bucket; we were right.

We placed the pump in the top portion of the bucket (after seperating the bucket into two parts) then tried fitting it in the base of the bucket; it didn't quite fit. There was a reinforcement rib on the inside of the bucket (closest to the inlet hole) that we shaved down so the tilted Walbro pump would not touch it, and then we shortened the three ribs on the inside of the inlet hole to allow the slightly longer than stock Walbro pump to seat in that hole; that was it. Those two mods allowed me to use the stock bucket w/o hacking it to pieces. We then glued the two pieces of the bucket back together using "Seal All" by Goop - It's made for use in gasoline soaked environments.

The GM bucket system is a neat solution to constanly cooling an always running fuel pump; the return line fills the bucket first,then overflows back into the tank, contantly circulating a cooling fluid around the pump.

If you have any other questions, feel free to contact me directly at: great421@yahoo.com - I hope this helps!

MIKE

Were putting a walbro 255 pump in my girlfriends 96 z28 and the pump itself doesn't fit in the bucket
Does anybody have any tips or know a link I can check out? Everything we see is for an LS1 and looks nothing like what were working with
Old 05-05-2007, 02:25 AM
TECH Addict

So if i tossed the bucket, will the pump have problems and possibly burn out if i go on a road trip or anything? like if the tank goes low? i don't want to put it in and then have it burn out right away Appreciate the answer.~Cole~
Old 05-05-2007, 03:14 AM
TECH Resident

There are 2 schools of thought on the fuel pump bucket.
There is the camp that says Hell yes you need the bucket and honestly they have good reasons.

Then there is the ditch the bucket brigade and honestly I have not seen too many issues with ditching the bucket if done correctly.

For what its worth I threw the bucket away and just ran some fuel injection hose from the pump to the tube. I did have issues initially with the hose leaking, I was getting pressure bleed off becuase of it leaking inside the tank. I also cut an access panel for my fuel pump so it was no big deal for me to redo it. I eventually double clamped the hose on both ends and this solved the issue. I would not run the tank close to empty doing it this way. I always put gas in at 1/4 tank to keep from burning the pump up.

Its up to you but if your going to drop the tank then I would probably keep the stock setup with the bucket just because of how much a PITA it is to drop the tank. If you cut an access panel then its easier to get in there if you have any issues so its less risky to run without the bucket.

Just my 2 cents.
Old 05-05-2007, 11:11 AM
TECH Apprentice

Thanks for the help everyone! I'm going to try to modify the bucket and make it work that way, since I dropped the tank.
Also, the little replacement harness for the pump is short 1 wire? Did anybody else run into this? The stock one has a black wire grey wire and a purple wire but the new one doesn't have the purple wire?
Old 05-05-2007, 11:15 AM
TECH Addict

i'm cutting the access panel but i think i will be putting the bucket in. Can't i just use the clear tube that comes with my kit that goes from the top of the pump instead of fuel injection hose. If i didn't use the pump that is? Thanks ~Cole~
Old 05-07-2007, 03:17 PM
Staging Lane

Thanks for the help everyone! I'm going to try to modify the bucket and make it work that way, since I dropped the tank.
Also, the little replacement harness for the pump is short 1 wire? Did anybody else run into this? The stock one has a black wire grey wire and a purple wire but the new one doesn't have the purple wire?
The harness for the pump itself that came with the pump will only have two wires. POSITIVE and NEGATIVE. The purple wire that comes from the factory harness is the Fuel Sender Wire for the Fuel Level Gauge in the car. That one is already hooked up as long as you didn't disconnect it. You don't have to worry about that wire.

Quick Reply: Fuel pump install problems!