LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Edelbrock LT4 VS Stock LT1 Intake pics

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2007, 08:36 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Blackbirdws6
that was my dyno run and as I posted, the results should indeed be taken with a grain of salt. I figured I would just post it because I haven't seen a single thread with any kind of results...plus I said I would. Hopefully in the future, someone will truly test the intake on the same dyno and same day.

-brian
Hey I'd kinda like to see a pic of this intake installed. I don't think I have seen an in car pic of one yet. Go back to your arguing now.
Old 05-17-2007, 12:13 PM
TECH Enthusiast

So..... What does it take to make it work with LT1 heads?
Old 05-17-2007, 12:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You buy the Edelbrock LT1 intake
Old 05-17-2007, 01:44 PM
Launching!

Looks better in my hands than in your pics. Id like to bring mine over for some comparisons. I never even put it next to a stocker, now you have me curious. Ill call ya later.
Old 05-20-2007, 06:16 AM
On The Tree

Eldebrock (sic) LT1 intake on-engine photos.
Still with masking tape on to to help prevent me from gouging it during installation.

One thing that is very nice and noticable about the intake is the super thick "deck" if that is what it's called. Things like that are always good to help stablize a motor as a whole. You cannot use any old intake manifold bolt. I needed to find longer bolts.

Old 05-20-2007, 08:17 AM
TECH Fanatic

Karl Looken good, did you have anyone port that for ya before you installed it?
Sending mine out to Lloyd tomarrow I'll have some pics of it when I get it back and with his thoughts on the intake good or bad, lol.
Old 05-20-2007, 08:47 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by T/A KID
Karl Looken good, did you have anyone port that for ya before you installed it?
Sending mine out to Lloyd tomarrow I'll have some pics of it when I get it back and with his thoughts on the intake good or bad, lol.
cool.

Thanks,
No porting on that intake. It's directly out of the box. It's really a substitute for the fully ported Ai LT1 intake that will go on that motor. I didn't want to mess up my customers Ai LT1 intake during testing.
This Edelbrock LT1 intake I have (from Summit) has none of the casting flash inside that I saw on the early photos of someone's Edelbrock LT4 intake. It fits very well and that thick flange is nice. I already had layed the RTV for intake install and only then realized that I needed to scrounge up longer bolts. Had me scrambling a bit because I use "The Right Stuff" RTV and it sets up pretty fast.

Now that I have this intake, my very next trip to the engine dyno will include at least a 1/2 day of LT1 intake manifold testing. Unfortunatally I don't think the dyno has the resolution to give me usefull info. Also, I cannot spend the time/money/effort to control variables. It's going to be a test none-the-less and give me some gut feelings. Probably am going to use a stock bottom LT1 350 with well ported z28 LT1 heads. F.A.S.T. XFI engine management.

Manifolds to test:
Out of the box LT1 Edelbrock
GM LT1 unported
GM LT1 unported but with internal thermal epoxy coating.

Karl
Old 05-20-2007, 10:08 AM
Teching In

What valve covers are in that picture??
Old 05-20-2007, 10:42 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Jaronk56
What valve covers are in that picture??
GMPP (or ProForm).
They would look even nicer if I didn't have the dorkey looking Mr. Gasket breathers. I just needed something to fill the holes.

ProForms are the only valve covers I know of that fit with ease over Jesel shaft rockers and with minor adjustments over all other shaft rockers like Crane and T&D and Probe, while maintaining a good seal and are not so tall that you cannot fit them under the cowl or under the heater hoses, etc. Those are sort of a medium-tall valve cover.

Jeff Johnston Billet Fabrication valve covers fit as well but they command a very steep price.
Old 05-24-2007, 09:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

Lloyd recieved the intake yesterday and called to let me know what his thoughts on it were.
There is LESS plenum volume in the intake but the runners a longer for sure he said. Also the entry angle of the runner from the TB are better, along with more meat to open up in certain areas. He told me an out of the box Edelbrock LT4 Intake was basically the the same as a fully ported GM LT4 intake, so a Ported Version of the Edelbrock would be superior.

This is his first Edlebrock LTX intake he has done, so I kinda of feel like a Guinea pig, lol. Will post up more info as it becomes available along with more pics of the finished product.
As far as porting goes he ESTIMATED it to be around $100 instead of the $200 he normally charges to do a stocker.

So in my Opinion I break it down like this

Stock LT1 intake= $150+$200 to port=$350
Stock Edelbrock LT1 intake=$400 which performs like a ported version, So for $50 dollars more you get a better looking intake and a thicker deck for mounting it.
IF you an LT4 guy I would DEFINATLY get a Edebrock version consider most stock LT4 intake sell for $600+ still and it would have to be ported to match a stock Edebrock unit around half the cost.
Old 05-25-2007, 01:30 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Well, sweet deal. Looks like we can expect good numbers from it stock then if it's on part with a LE ported intake Plus the added benefit of being thicker so it won't warp if you still run EGR (heck thicker is just better either way), better angled runners and the fact they're longer, and then the air gap feature. While the air gap provides little help, any help is welcomed in my book.
Old 05-25-2007, 04:17 PM
OWN3D BY MY PROF!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Sounds like it should work out pretty nicely then. That's a suprise after all the **** people have been talking about them. Granted we haven't seen numbers yet....
Old 05-25-2007, 04:26 PM
Launching!

Ya there was a lot of people talking **** about that intake. love to see how it will do.
Old 05-28-2007, 08:33 PM
Launching!

Did you get back your intake from Lloyd yet????
Old 05-28-2007, 09:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

Not yet, I think he is waiting on the Nitro Daves Custom Monoblade nitrous plate and Monoblade TB to be shipped to him (there both in Texas).
The day I get it I will post up several pics, with some more thoughts from Lloyd.
Old 05-28-2007, 09:26 PM
On The Tree

Here's a pic of mine, sorry for the big pic, its' an LE ported intake, and powder coated by Bret Bauer.

Old 05-28-2007, 09:29 PM
Launching!

Not yet, I think he is waiting on the Nitro Daves Custom Monoblade nitrous plate and Monoblade TB to be shipped to him (there both in Texas).
The day I get it I will post up several pics, with some more thoughts from Lloyd.

Cool, Thanks man. I am thinking of picking one up.
Old 05-29-2007, 11:06 AM
TECH Fanatic

Here's a pic of mine, sorry for the big pic, its' an LE ported intake, and powder coated by Bret Bauer.
No offense but been there done that on the stocker, I think we can expect good things with the Edelbrock intake.
Old 05-29-2007, 03:55 PM
On The Tree

No offense but been there done that on the stocker, I think we can expect good things with the Edelbrock intake.
Well I havn't seen any dyno #'s on the edelbrock, but I'm sure we can expect good things, we'll see.
Old 05-29-2007, 04:05 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

As LE said, the Stock Edel is the same as his Ported LT1. So it's fair to say we can expect good things from a same dyno compare.

Quick Reply: Edelbrock LT4 VS Stock LT1 Intake pics