LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

So if you wanted a 500whp lt1.....

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2007, 01:17 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by silver95

With a 500RWHP N/A car, you will be running race gas and adjusting your valve lash every other week.

That's just my .02, good luck.

Originally Posted by JasonShort
This is exactly the information that people need to be careful about listening to. Do you own or drive a 500rwhp NA LTx car? If you buy the right parts the first time, a solid roller requires almost no more maintainence than a hydraulic roller. Its all in the valvetrain and oiling system.
Thank You, fakkkkkk! If I got a buck for everytime I've heard "you gotta adjust the valves on an SR constantly"...well...I reckon I wouldn't be uh eatin so much Ramen Noodles...

As Jason stated it takes good parts, shaft mounts, serious pushrods (3/8"), the right rollerockers, oiling, etc, etc...and good parts aren't cheap so people go the way side with bullsh&% that doesn't hold up and yes you will be adjusting valvelash, blah blah blah.
Old 05-16-2007, 02:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

How often are you going to drive this car?
Old 05-16-2007, 05:18 PM
11 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

If a solid roller needs constant adjustment I would be looking for what is wearing. People need to spend more time THINKING about cause and effect. If the lash is constantly going out WHY? What is causing it? The cam is staying in the smae place in the block, the pushrod should stay the same length, the lifter as a SOLID lifter should not be colapsing or anything. If the rockers are backing off then you didn't tighten them enough, same goes for the rocker studs, the valves aren't getting shorter etc.
Would I periodically check lash, YES but if I started finding it in need of adjustment I would be looking for parts on their way out.
I understand SR can be streetable, I am just not yet sure they can survive the level of street use my car sees, like 10K a year. In a month I will be driving it to St. Louis for the Impala club nationals. That will be like 500 miles each way with racing in between which is a bit different than driving a car a few nights a week.

I have no experiance with solid rollers so I can't say they wont last under that use I can only say it would be a concern for me.
Old 05-16-2007, 06:08 PM
Launching!

My LT-1 made over 500 with a hydraulic roller. A big part was the PCM tune and combo. Cam was only around .600 lift but it had around 11.8 to 1 compression. The car cruised great and driveabiltiy was good. 10-15 K is a good estimate. I had about 3000$ in port work in my LT-4s alone. Now that I know what they flow I would never sell them just because of the amount of work in them. I did not daily drive my car but if it had a manual I know I could of with ease.
Old 05-16-2007, 06:28 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I edited your last post for language....please keep it clean

Second, let me start by giving you two pieces of advise on building a 500rwhp NA LT1. 1. ONLY listen to people who have actually built a motor like this for advise. You will get ALOT of poor advise from those who have never built a motor like this. 2. Pay $100 and buy a good used LT1 block and start building the motor before you take your car apart. Build the motor as you get the money, and enjoy driving your car in the meantime.....that way if it does take 6-12 months, you wont be hating the build up.

If you do things right the first time, you can build one for $10k.

Jason

Great advise!!!

I have a 396 and will most likely end up a solid roller. It is not CHEAP and my car sat for six months. Depending on the cars weight @ 450 you may come close to 10's. It took 468 rwhp to run a 10.8X. Best of luck to you, I hope to do my solid roller this summer (fl means mod in the summer).
Old 05-16-2007, 08:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 97blkz
Great advise!!!

I have a 396 and will most likely end up a solid roller. It is not CHEAP and my car sat for six months. Depending on the cars weight @ 450 you may come close to 10's. It took 468 rwhp to run a 10.8X. Best of luck to you, I hope to do my solid roller this summer (fl means mod in the summer).
Word.
Old 05-16-2007, 09:22 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by T/A KID
Been done this road for a 500RWHP N/A LTX car but sold the converted Supervic before I finished and decided to go FI.
IMO I would do something similiar to FASTFATBOY on here. Get some Bare RHS 235 Runner heads (about $550 a piece) and get them Reversed Cooled ($500) and send them to LE, AI, or Portpros (around $800). should be in the 320 Fow range on the intake and 230 on the exhaust on average. Match those heads to a Single plane ( don't have to convert the bolt pattern ) with a Stock sytle TB using a custom sheet metal elbow from intakeelbows.com or something similiar. That mixed with a high 23X duration cam or low 24X cam should net 500RWHP depending on the tranny or rearend which would have to be taken into account.
For the rest of the motor I would like to see what that would do on a 355 spinning it to max PCM values but a 383 or 396 would fit the bill calming the camshaft and making that larger 235 Runner feel a little better with the more CI.

However you can always keep the pimp heads, get the shorblock built for boost with a lower CR, and run boost through it. Decided to go that route for better streetability and more Fun on the street IMO. 650-700RWHP with a Overdrive 4L80E with a 3.23-3.42 rear gear ratio pulling about 2300RPM at 70 crusing, an still able to wax 95% of the cars on the street

Thanks KID, I don't know if I would follow my lead just yet...mine has yet to be proven.That 235 cc runner doesn't stay 235 after porting.....my solid roller is in the 25x ish range and the high .600's on lift.BUT I popped for all the bells and whistles to have that kinda camshaft and drive it on the street.....you gotta realize that in 10,000 miles you gotta pop for new springs, locks, retainers and send the rockers back to be checked out. Just the nature of the beast...$800 can save a $13,000 engine and I am prepared to do that when the time comes.

What people also do not realize is all the trimmings that come with the 600(ish) FWHP LT1 dish.....it is ALOT of money to do it right, even if you are doing it yourself.

Headers
Exhaust
Transmission, clutch/converter
Driveshaft
Rear end
Torque Arm
Frame connectors
Suspension(ALL of it, why spend money on an engine if you can't get it to the ground?)
Cooling system
Fuel system
Tires, it will KILL tires.

It is alot more of a task than people think...you see alot of parted out projects because of this.

David
Old 05-16-2007, 09:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by FASTFATBOY

It is alot more of a task than people think...you see alot of parted out projects because of this.

David
One mans headache is anothers good deal. Still looking for some 2nd hand Shaft mounts.
Old 05-16-2007, 09:48 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by MEAN LT1
One mans headache is anothers good deal. Still looking for some 2nd hand Shaft mounts.

EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE BAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY

David
Old 05-16-2007, 10:26 PM
10 Second Club

Second, let me start by giving you two pieces of advise on building a 500rwhp NA LT1. 1. ONLY listen to people who have actually built a motor like this for advise. You will get ALOT of poor advise from those who have never built a motor like this. 2. Pay $100 and buy a good used LT1 block and start building the motor before you take your car apart. Build the motor as you get the money, and enjoy driving your car in the meantime.....that way if it does take 6-12 months, you wont be hating the build up.

Jason
Good advice on both points. I can't count the number of people on here and other boards and face to face that told me I did my build up all wrong. Funny thing always was that those people usually were very slow or "had plans" to build a fast car. Untill you do it you really have no clue what it takes.

Originally Posted by FASTFATBOY

David
Yea..I've snagged some good stuff by people getting into a big build and loosing interest or running out of money and not even be close to a running car. They decide better to cut their losses early..lol.

Oh..and I think I adjusted my rockers 4 times in 5 years of racing. Of course they saw less and less street miles in the later years but I found them to be pretty good at holding their lash. If you want to make all out power..max effort...solid is the way to go.

Quick Reply: So if you wanted a 500whp lt1.....