21.62%
Voters: 185. You may not vote on this poll

What oil is in your LT1

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2009, 10:50 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by BTC
I'm no oil expert, so maybe it would have still been OK to run without any active additive left.
When the additive package is used up, the oil is shot. Think about it, all the anti-wear additives are gone, all the demulsifiers are gone etc. Running it much past that will lead to broken parts.

Originally Posted by BTC
German Castrol seemed to hold up the best in my Jeep of the few oils I tried. I never had the Mobil1 0W-40 tested, but I still have the sample. I hear it's a good oil. Most of the Amsoil products I tested held up pretty well also, but German Castrol is cheaper, and more easily accessible.
Amsoil and Mobil 1 are the cream of the off the shelf oils. To get better performance, you gotta leave Wally World, O'Reilly's and so on and shop elsewhere. The initial expense goes up significantly, too.

Based on the stories my oil engineer friend told me, I wouldn't give Castrol to someone I wanted to beat on the track...that would be too mean.

Originally Posted by BTC
My brother owns a small trucking company that does primarily long hauls over several hundred miles, or more. I'm not sure how often he changes out the oil, but those trucks hold several gallons of oil. I think he pretty much sticks with Shell Rotella.
Tell him he's throwing LOTS of money away. When I implemented this in my fleet, I saved the school district about $100k the first year. It goes up a bit in each of the succeeding years and then plateaus at about year 4.

One of the things I've seen several of you mention here is "German Castrol", which is not something I've heard of. Can someone fill me in?
Old 07-01-2009, 11:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Castrol GTX non-synthetic 10W30 Only!!
Old 07-01-2009, 11:28 PM
BTC
TECH Fanatic

Location: Lansing, MI via Bowling Green, KY, Dalton GA, Nashville, TN & Atlanta, GA
Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by fleetmgr
One of the things I've seen several of you mention here is "German Castrol", which is not something I've heard of. Can someone fill me in?
It's made in Germany, is only available in a 0W-30 weight, and apparently differs significantly from other Castrol formulations. I think it's a Group IV PAO synthetic. I'm not even really sure what all of that means. The only place I really know of that carries it is Autozone. Check out www.bobistheoilguy.com I think a lot of those guys have posters of it hanging on their walls.
Old 07-02-2009, 06:06 AM
That's MISTER MODERATOR

Received 42 Likes on 36 Posts

More here: http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums...510430&fpart=1
Old 07-03-2009, 11:18 PM
9 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Royal Purple Syn

Quick Reply: What oil is in your LT1