Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2007, 06:41 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

splicing wires? where?
Old 06-05-2007, 06:43 AM
On The Tree

dude, what were you doing to cause that? im not accusing you of anything....but maybe it wasnt made right. ive taken mine apart twice and it doesnt show any kind of wear like that.
Originally Posted by josh3111
Before you go praising MSD take a look at this melt down. Yes it was installed correctly. Yes it is a piece of ****. My GM works mint.

+1 for Jegs giving me my 500 bucks back.

Old 06-05-2007, 07:04 AM
Staging Lane

I am not the only one that this has happened too..I did some research on camaroz28.com. This has happened to more than a few people.
Old 06-05-2007, 07:59 AM
11 Second Club

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

I replaced my stock opti a few years ago as more af a general maintenance item and replaced it with another GM unit..Those things can't last forever...Hell, most replace cap and rotors on the older GM products yearly...I used to include cap and rotor replacement as part of my yearly maintenance in my old '72 Chevelle..I never had any problems with the GM opti, but I also only spin the thing to 6300...I do like the idea of the MSD cap and rotor, but I'll check back with folks who have had them on for a while first..

--Alan
Old 06-05-2007, 10:50 AM
On The Tree

well it comes down to...its not that great of a design.
Old 06-05-2007, 11:38 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by josh3111
Before you go praising MSD take a look at this melt down. Yes it was installed correctly. Yes it is a piece of ****. My GM works mint.

+1 for Jegs giving me my 500 bucks back.

It is NOT installed correctly, look where you put the Oring, its supposed to sit on the outside of the machined lip

installing it the way you did causes the opti disc cover to not sit properly causing a clearance issue with the rotor.
Old 06-05-2007, 12:11 PM
On The Tree

good call captainofiron, i didnt even notice that.
Old 06-05-2007, 12:53 PM
TECH Apprentice

The most prone part to failure in the GM opti, is the optical sensor. Another improvement MSD has made in their design. Unless you are spinnng the **** out of the stock GM opti, or have a lot of miles on it ... they will last, and are a quality product for the most part. If I was in the market for a new opti ... I would go with the MSD. Why wouldn't you? Better design, a better optical sensor, and MSD has been known to produce great products. Most failures are due to improper installations like above. In all honesty I am over the whole opti phase, and will switch to the LTCC conversion with my new rebuild.
Old 06-05-2007, 01:17 PM
On The Tree

i would like to see how that turned out on your car. do you have pics of install? im really curious about it
Old 06-05-2007, 03:26 PM
Staging Lane

Sure ill go take some pics now.
Old 06-05-2007, 04:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by redchevcam
good call captainofiron, i didnt even notice that.
I knew exactly what happened as soon as I saw the rotor rubbing on the disc cover, We had a rash of improper installations of the MSD optis over on another board, I also installed it wrong, but I noticed it wasnt running right, so after running it for like 10 minutes, I went home called the MSD techs and pulled it apart and saw the problem.

MSD offers a gasket instead of the O-ring you just have to ask for it.
Old 06-05-2007, 09:39 PM
Staging Lane

Well maybe it wasn't installed right then...You would think that when you have a mechanic put something on your car they would do it right...I do notice how it slips off real easy and is hard to get to stay around the machined ring..Oh well FOCK it.... I am getting my money back. All I have is a hot cam kit anyways so, I should be fine with the
GM.
Old 06-05-2007, 09:40 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I've posted this before, but for the record I will do it again. I bought the MSD unit last year. I did 4000 miles before the main bearing gave out and I had to send it back for warranty repair. I had taken it to the track during the 4000 miles and ran 14.0 on a completely stock 1993 LT1. So the unit worked and ran smoothly until the bearing go wobbly and I got an engine code.

I have the distributor back now, repaired. The car has run strong for around 2000 miles. No problems yet. The original GM opti has 95,000 miles on it. It still works, but needs a new rotor and cap. I changed the whole unit to MSD to avoid the hassle of changing it again. I got more than I bargained for.
Old 06-05-2007, 09:46 PM
On The Tree

i really would like to know if anyone has the ignition coil conversion. the LTCC or the Lingenfelter or something like that.
Old 06-07-2007, 02:00 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Captainofiron
I knew exactly what happened as soon as I saw the rotor rubbing on the disc cover, We had a rash of improper installations of the MSD optis over on another board, I also installed it wrong, but I noticed it wasnt running right, so after running it for like 10 minutes, I went home called the MSD techs and pulled it apart and saw the problem.

MSD offers a gasket instead of the O-ring you just have to ask for it.
Well doesnt the "newer" MSD Pro billets come with the gasket? So if i buy the unti from Summit, I have to call up MSd themselves and order the gasket?

why isnt this gasket or O-ring installed in the first place?

Also, when the Unit is shipped to me, I should open it up and put locktite on all the screws?
Old 06-07-2007, 04:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Bow94z
Well doesnt the "newer" MSD Pro billets come with the gasket? So if i buy the unti from Summit, I have to call up MSd themselves and order the gasket?

why isnt this gasket or O-ring installed in the first place?

Also, when the Unit is shipped to me, I should open it up and put locktite on all the screws?
I dont think the units from Summit will come with a gasket, just the o-ring.

Also I dont know why they didnt install it.

The unit is shipped not ready to go, you need to open it and install the o-ring, but I wouldnt locktight them, the cap is plastic and will not expand and contract therefore the screws will probably not loosen up. As for the vibration thats another thing
Old 06-07-2007, 05:01 PM
On The Tree

i would lock tight the rotor screws. i had them back off in mine. it didnt damage anything, but it took me a while to figure it out.
Old 06-07-2007, 07:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

ah yes, the rotor screws, didnt think of those
Old 07-22-2007, 08:26 PM
TECH Regular

ok i had to bring this back up to the top. i just ordered one of these due to the fact the dynasparks are on back order, they are waiting on parts. look at this link and see if the o-ring looks like it is installed wrong. http://web.camaross.com/forums/showt...light=msd+opti
Old 07-23-2007, 06:49 AM
On The Tree

looks like the same thing to me.

Quick Reply: MSD Opti vs. GM opti