LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

MSD Opti vs. GM opti

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2007, 08:05 AM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by titter
The most prone part to failure in the GM opti, is the optical sensor. Another improvement MSD has made in their design. Unless you are spinnng the **** out of the stock GM opti, or have a lot of miles on it ... they will last, and are a quality product for the most part. If I was in the market for a new opti ... I would go with the MSD. Why wouldn't you? Better design, a better optical sensor, and MSD has been known to produce great products. Most failures are due to improper installations like above. In all honesty I am over the whole opti phase, and will switch to the LTCC conversion with my new rebuild.
optical sensor = jap crap, il be happy once thats gone, im just torn between the dynaspark and the msd, but im kinda leaning towards the dynaspark just cause its tried and true
Old 07-23-2007, 02:44 PM
TECH Apprentice

Msd is better.
Old 07-23-2007, 03:27 PM
12 Second Club

Id do a search i read awhile back a few haveing problems with the dynaspark.Might been there setup im not sure.Theres a Northstar setup out there to ive read about on here to think it used the coils from one and dont rember what else .It was in the same post I think
Old 07-23-2007, 04:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by jasonisdn
ok i had to bring this back up to the top. i just ordered one of these due to the fact the dynasparks are on back order, they are waiting on parts. look at this link and see if the o-ring looks like it is installed wrong. http://web.camaross.com/forums/showt...light=msd+opti
You can see the o-ring in the first picture, it isnt on the machined lip, that is the whole problem, if its not on that lip the internal opti cover will rub
Old 07-23-2007, 04:44 PM
TECH Regular

well i am going to thank you then. i will be sure to watch for that. good eye
Old 07-24-2007, 01:05 AM
TECH Fanatic

no problem, that almost happened to mine, but before running my TA with the MSD I called up the tech guys at MSD and asked about the o-ring, because the instructions are very vague.

with the o-ring around the outside of the machined lip, you will have zero problems, MSD makes a preformed gasket that takes away all the headaches of getting that stupid oring to stay put.

if you decide to just use the oring, put "black death" on it aka high tack gasket sealer
Old 07-24-2007, 12:45 PM
nfa
Teching In

i have had the msd opti on now for about 2000 miles.. so far, so good. knock on wood...
Old 07-24-2007, 12:51 PM
TECH Regular

ok i just got mine and went through it. i have .035 clearance under the rotor button. i also used a good amount of permatex high strength thread locker red on the rotor button screws. i did notice some material , gray in nature, on all the threads. both the rotor buttons and the cap screws. i cleaned out the material in the rotor button holes, before adding my thread locker. i heated the o-ring in some hot tap water and streched it. when the cap seated i didn't hear the o-ring smack the plastic, like it does when it slips off. i tighted the cap screws in a criss cross pattern , adding more torque in a total of 3 passings. i also took a photo of the clearance under the rotor button before install. lets see if it holds together in a high hp application.
Old 07-24-2007, 05:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

right on man, sounds like you got the oring on there, the MSD will impress you
Old 07-24-2007, 10:36 PM
Launching!

hey guys i found this one from Summit. it's pretty cheap compared to the one's ya'll have been discussing. im in the same dilema as most people are with the opti. i think i might go with this one. do you guys think i should do it?

http://store.summitracing.com/partde...5&autoview=sku

Quick Reply: MSD Opti vs. GM opti