LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

lt's vs. mid's on a daily driver, what do you think?

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2007, 06:02 AM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

mids will be a nice incease, fit a budget, not harass you with ground clearance, easy install

LT's will have a little ground clearance issues, and are on average abotu $100+ more expensive, but they do yeild more power and help squeeze a few extra ponies along the road.

Im kinda going back and forth on this same topic for my daily driver. I put a set of mids on my 3rd gen and OMG it was so much better than stockers. I really want to do a set of LTs on the ol LT1 but at the same time its hard to justify spending $500 for a set of LT headers and Ypipe when i can get a set of Mids and y pipe for close to half that. Another side to that is I launch at about 1500-2grand because I gotta keep my clutch alive. So the lower end torque will get my car outta the hole quicker.

one point I have not heard pose is, Looking at the LT's and imagining how they fit onto the car I am thinking that LT's might head up the oil on the oil pan, as well as head up the starter alot more than Mids would. Another side to this that I havent done much research on is on Suspension. With LT's dont you have to get a different type of chassis mount torque arm(should oyu decide to upgrade) than others do? Likewise on the same question with certain Subframe connectors?
Old 06-04-2007, 11:23 AM
TECH Addict

fair enough, i see your point with the lt's. but whats the quietest muffler out there that also flows nice?
Old 06-04-2007, 11:55 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Ironxcross
fair enough, i see your point with the lt's. but whats the quietest muffler out there that also flows nice?

Magnaflow. Quiet at idle, (almost indistinguishable from stock), and when cruising....until you floor it.

http://www.lt1engine.com/media/music...php?song_id=24
Old 06-04-2007, 12:26 PM
11 Second Club

Received 332 Likes on 252 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

Originally Posted by solarofthesix
Another side to this that I havent done much research on is on Suspension. With LT's dont you have to get a different type of chassis mount torque arm(should oyu decide to upgrade) than others do? Likewise on the same question with certain Subframe connectors?
As far as the Torque Arm goes..no, you can use your stock one. I don't know about SFC's..probably depends on the design of them.
Some of the Aftermarket Torque Arms do differ as far as if you have Stock Exhaust or LT's with a Y-Pipe. I got one from UMI Performance, and I had to specify LT/Y-Pipe setup.
Old 06-04-2007, 12:42 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My Hooker cat-back. It was cheap and flows well. That's why I bought it. I'm swapping it for TDs within the next month because it is so quiet. It might not even be louder than stock...It's hard to tell. But the tone is much better.
Old 06-04-2007, 02:08 PM
Staging Lane

I do not regret going with my mids, but am going to longtubes soon. I really like the sound quality.

As far as daily driving is concerned, since my car is already lowered I drive slow all the time. That includes speed bumps, potholes, and whatever other deformity in the road I can see. I'm sure the longtubes might be even more of a pain, but it doesn't matter to me.

Honestly, I love my mids too. On an LT1, anything is better than the manifolds. Just my opinion.
Old 06-04-2007, 02:11 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Rowdy94
My Hooker cat-back. It was cheap and flows well. That's why I bought it. I'm swapping it for TDs within the next month because it is so quiet. It might not even be louder than stock...It's hard to tell. But the tone is much better.
well if you're interested in selling it soon, let me know
Old 06-05-2007, 12:13 AM
TECH Enthusiast

well if you're interested in selling it soon, let me know
Will do. I didn't mean it like my actual cat-back that I'll be selling when I posted that. I meant it as A hooker cat-back. I wasn't trying to sell you mine, I was giving advice as to what I think is close to what you're looking for.

But anywho, it actually will be for sale sometime. Keep an eye out for it if you want.
Old 06-05-2007, 02:22 AM
On The Tree

i got a hooker catback as well love it. especially the cutout hah.
Old 06-05-2007, 10:09 AM
On The Tree

I was in the same predicament a few years ago. My dad was trying to convince me not to do headers at all. "They will clank, they will drag the ground, it's impractical, you'll get exhaust leaks," blah blah blah, he said. I've had absolutely no issues whatsoever with my longtube Pacesetters and I wouldn't change a thing. Get longtubes. Unless you have emissions tests, you'll likely regret getting mids later on when you could have just as easily gotten longtubes and better performance.
Old 06-18-2007, 10:04 PM
FormerVendor

383 stroker
Low 12sec LT1 on motor with mid tubes
Low 11 sec LT1 on NO2 with mid tubes

still has Cats

http://www.go-fast.org/z28/exhaust.html

no longer has the car but turned it into one bad *** ride.
Did I mention it is a convertible
Old 06-18-2007, 11:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

^^^Awesome.

Here's 96CapriceMGR running a 12.2 on a stock bottom end motor in a 4,000+lb. car with 1 5/8 midlengths:

http://s39.photobucket.com/albums/e1...rrent=DJ12.flv

If I'm not mistaken, last I heard he's broken into the 11's.
Old 06-19-2007, 01:11 AM
On The Tree

Im 17 and poor so i bought PC mids. they may not be the best, but for my daily driver. they get the job done. pobably only a 10 hp difference anyways.
Old 06-19-2007, 07:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

I have shorties you long tube lovers, and I am not complaining about the way my car drives at all. Been running these for years, and noticed a big difference over stock manifolds. It really depends on your system as a whole.

I will be going long tubes on my 383 build because of the extra cubes.

Quick Reply: lt's vs. mid's on a daily driver, what do you think?