LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Need Help Measuring Pushrods

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2007, 02:24 AM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need Help Measuring Pushrods

Ok I measured my pushrods and placed my order and they ended up being too short. I followed the method with the dry erase marker on the valve stem and it looked perfect, but once I got the pushords put in they clattered so I tried to tighten them and the rocker bottomed out on the stud. So obviously my pushrods are too short and I must have measured them wrong or did something else wrong.

I used a metric ruler and converted the milimeters into inches and placed the order. I measured from tip to tip and now I realized that there are 3 different ways to measure, but I really don't need to worry about that right now. If you can explain how to correctly measure the pushrod length I would really appreciate it, and then I can hopeully get my car running right.

Ok I'm done rambling, thanks in advance
Old 06-08-2007, 02:37 AM
TECH Fanatic

7.2 unless ur heads are shaved
Old 06-08-2007, 11:40 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by streetwarrior96
7.2 unless ur heads are shaved
Running CC306 with Comp R lifters, decked block and milled heads. I know that the stockers are 7.2, but I need to know how to measure pushrods the correct way. I have the Comp measuring pushrod, but I'm obviously doing something wrong because the measurement that I came up with was too short, but the pattern on the valve was perfect
Old 06-08-2007, 04:39 PM
Launching!

Did you check it with the comp r lifters? To check pushrod lenghth you need to use a solid lifter. I just took one of my old lifters, took it apart and installed a bolt in it, and put the cap and clip back on it.
Old 06-09-2007, 01:34 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by 95greenZ
Did you check it with the comp r lifters? To check pushrod lenghth you need to use a solid lifter. I just took one of my old lifters, took it apart and installed a bolt in it, and put the cap and clip back on it.
No I didn't know that you had to do it like that. So I have to pull the intake and everything back off to check the length? Thats just stupid, there has to be a different way. Everything that I have read and seen suggests that you do your measurements with the parts that will be used.

I'm not saying your wrong, but I would hate to have to pull the intake since the motor is in the car and has run already, but it ran like garbage because the first set of pushrods were too long and the set that I have now are too short.

I really hope that you aren't right about having to use a solid lifter, but if you are thanks for the response