LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

PCV System

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2007, 11:37 AM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ok i jsut went outside to check out everyhting.

i removed my pcv valve form the valve cover and then put a breather filter on the valvecover.

When i went to the driver side. I noticed there was a PCV Valve in the right place and it is attatched to a rubber elbow that went into a metal tube that then goes into the TB. I did not find a port in the intake the "U" off to. Am I missing something? All I see over there are the Optispark Vac Port, Brake Booster, and another small vac nipple that i think was for emissions. Am I missing something or is this correct?
Old 06-13-2007, 12:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by solarofthesix
ok i jsut went outside to check out everyhting.

i removed my pcv valve form the valve cover and then put a breather filter on the valvecover.

When i went to the driver side. I noticed there was a PCV Valve in the right place and it is attatched to a rubber elbow that went into a metal tube that then goes into the TB. I did not find a port in the intake the "U" off to. Am I missing something? All I see over there are the Optispark Vac Port, Brake Booster, and another small vac nipple that i think was for emissions. Am I missing something or is this correct?
Originally Posted by thesoundandthefury
(Ignore the one labeled "Connect to PCV valve. That's for 92-94 LT1's.) On a 95-up, the valve coming out of this port will be connected to a long metal tube that runs around to the front of the intake manifold and plugs into the port down below the throttle body.
92-94 LT1's don't have a vented optispark. 95-up's do. In order to free up another vacuum port for the vented optisparks, GM changed the original "U" shaped PCV hose of the 92-94's to the long metal tube you see running to the port under the throttle body.

For the record, the plug at the end of the hose that you pulled out of the valve cover is not a PCV valve. It's just that, a plug. There's only one PCV valve which is the one in the driver's side port in the above pic. Just letting you know so you wouldn't end up buying two if you decide to replace it.
Old 06-13-2007, 12:24 PM
On The Tree

hah yea...i already had bought a new one thinking i was going to need it. Oh well add it to the parts bin hah.

Now what is the LOOONG metal tube that runs under the front end of the engine for? Like it goes under the opti if i rememebr correctly. Is that the tube that would plug into the valve cover, and then after that where would it go?
Old 06-13-2007, 12:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by solarofthesix
hah yea...i already had bought a new one thinking i was going to need it. Oh well add it to the parts bin hah.

Now what is the LOOONG metal tube that runs under the front end of the engine for? Like it goes under the opti if i rememebr correctly. Is that the tube that would plug into the valve cover, and then after that where would it go?
It's part of the A.I.R. system. The AIR pump down on the driver's side front of the engine pumps air through those tubes which feed into the top of the exhaust manifolds. It does this to maintain an adequate oxygen mixture in the exhaust until the O2 sensors heat up to full operating temp and can get an accurate reading to keep the PCM happy. It's all for emissions.

In other words, totally unrelated to the PCV system.
Old 06-13-2007, 12:39 PM
On The Tree

excellnt...seems like I have my car runnign right now maybe hah. Also foudn one of the hoses for my Opti was melted. Not sure if this has been causing my mid RPM stumble yet or not. But a quick drive around and i cen feel a slght diference in how the car is runing. I call it a success. thank you all for the wealth of information!
Old 06-13-2007, 09:20 PM
TECH Resident

Has anyone else seen this mod?

http://collop.cz28.com/custom2.html

I did it on my car. I used to have oil residue under the plate on top of the throttle body where the line from the valve cover goes, now it stays perfectly clean. Cheap easy improvement. You can get the part at Autozone for like $4.
Old 06-13-2007, 09:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

^^^Yep that method works well. People usually delete the hose and just go with a standard breather for looks.
Old 06-13-2007, 11:53 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

my TPS gets oil on it from that hose
Old 06-13-2007, 11:58 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I was wondering if that was a filter, or just a cover to make the PCV look pretty. Apparently it's a filter If I had any money to spend (like, I do mean ANY) I'd get that, but I'm content atm having it eliminated. Again, my 93 uses old school TPI/Carb style PCV system. It's not like most of how yours is (side of the intake).

Quick Reply: PCV System