LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Firehawk Trouble

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2007, 05:41 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I got this car cheap enough to make most of you cry...I dont know what a lemon law is, but I would not expect anything back from this woman. lol
Old 06-25-2007, 05:48 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Red96TA
I got this car cheap enough to make most of you cry...I dont know what a lemon law is, but I would not expect anything back from this woman. lol
Then save up for a golen crate motor and have fun.
Old 06-25-2007, 06:39 PM
11 Second Club

try puttin jumper cables to it, see if it will turn over faster. If that doesnt work my best bet would be all the bearings are rusted from water sittin in the crank case. Which means Rebuild.
Old 06-25-2007, 08:15 PM
12 Second Club

we had it on a jumper box comin straight outta the wall...it made very little difference. we even bypassed the battery and went straight to the starter with the cables with the same results. i dont want to get a whole new motor as this one has alot done to it already...im hoping i can salvage everything with the exception of the rotating assembly and just stroke it out to a 383 :-)
Old 06-26-2007, 11:01 AM
TECH Apprentice

we had it on a jumper box comin straight outta the wall...it made very little difference. we even bypassed the battery and went straight to the starter with the cables with the same results. i dont want to get a whole new motor as this one has alot done to it already...im hoping i can salvage everything with the exception of the rotating assembly and just stroke it out to a 383 :-)
everything with the exception of the rotating assembly is the bare block, the heads and the intake manifold. If you get a shortblock from golen or some other reliable builder you will get a 383 you can bolt your existing heads to, pick up a new cam (I wouldnt trust the one in the engine if water has been sitting in there that long) and youl'l be back at least where the engine was before, if not better (btw you should have the heads gone over by a reliable shop to make sure they dont need new components to replace possibly damaged ones)
Old 06-26-2007, 04:36 PM
12 Second Club

well i figured i was going to have to replace the pistons rings rods bearings and crank probably from what i had been told....its got a monster cam in it, and HUGE springs...hopefully i can keep those....what kind of price range am i looking at here?
Old 06-26-2007, 04:55 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by LiENUS
Does the lemon law apply to used cars? If so I would at least try and get some money back to use towards rebuilding the engine.
I think Lemon Law is new cars only. It's where the dealership has to buy your car back if it's in the shop so many times in a given time.
Old 06-26-2007, 05:01 PM
TECH Veteran

well i figured i was going to have to replace the pistons rings rods bearings and crank probably from what i had been told....its got a monster cam in it, and HUGE springs...hopefully i can keep those....what kind of price range am i looking at here?
I recently parted out a motor with a blown head gasket. I got a pretty good chunk of change out of it. I would disassemble it and just look everything over. If you have a good forged crank it (you say it has money in it), then it may be ok. Machine shop can mic it it no problem. That's just a starting point. May just need new rod, main, cam bearings, and new piston rings. Might need new pistons. You'll just have to look and mic everything. A local machine shop told me my LQ4 (6.0) iron short block would be about $1200. That's balancing, new bearings, new freeze plugs, hone the cylinders, align bore the mains, and assembly. I think he had rings in there too but I've got those, so I might get away with less. You can get away with about $250 less on balancing if you don't have to replace any of the big parts. So we'll say $1000.