LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Radiator Drain Cock Problem

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2007, 06:07 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Radiator Drain **** Problem

While trying to drain coolant, every tab on the drain **** valve breaks, therefore I have no way to back the valve out. So i slap a vice grip on it, and then it comes apart at the radiator.....well **** me! Is this repairable or will I have to replace the whole god damned radiator?

Old 06-24-2007, 06:56 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes it can be replaced, I've had that once happen to me so don't feel very bad because you're not the only one who said to himself "**** ME". .
Listen, hop on your other car to home depot, ask for the section where they sell parts for water hoses/plumbing and ****, just don't mention any radiator to home depot guy, he'll be lost, it's called HOME depot . There, you will find all kind of plugs, plastic plugs to replace this one, it won't look the same but it'll work, it's working on mine . Just say you have a hose and it needs pluged, you can even use a metal one it's no big deal really, this is only to plug the antifreeze so no big deal man. Let me know if it works out, and by the way please don't trash ur rad. because of this stupid plug.
Old 06-24-2007, 07:03 PM
TECH Apprentice

You can have a radiator shop replace the bottom tank ONLY.
Old 06-24-2007, 07:35 PM
11 Second Club

You can get petcocks from an auto parts store also.
Old 06-24-2007, 07:54 PM
TECH Apprentice

I changed out the radiator on mine when it busted, the replacement didn't have a drain plug, so I thought no prob i'll just use the one on the busted rad. Yeah right, totally different size? same radiators, but different size drain plugs?. No prob I thought, quick trip to Autozone for a new one, I tried every year 4th gen, but none of them would fit?, in the end I used the one out of my 3rd gen Camaro.

Did you just break the plug, or the tube it screws into?.

Sara Lou
Old 06-24-2007, 07:56 PM
Launching!

They can replace the one tank or you can always just take the hose off if the rad dont leak
Old 06-24-2007, 08:32 PM
12 Second Club

the entire drain **** is busted, where it meets the tank, not just the valve you can back out and drain coolant with....the piece of plastic the valve screws into is what is broken.....not broken off, but it is cracked at the tank. I just loaded the car and going to run it by a radiator shop 2morrow, see what they can do, and then its off to another shop to fix the initial problem i was having which was water pump failure kicking the opti in the nuts......

not only that, i used a come along to get the car onto the trailer, since i had TB forward, and cooling fans already off....and in the process broke my FAVORITE come-along....I have bought 3 as of the evening, and none of them were long enough, nor did any of them "work" like my old one....

THEN..

since i had to load the car from my garage, i backed my trailer into my driveway....well after loading the car, i had to run to parts store ::read above:: and while Im gone, my dad decides to back up the trailer, so my yukon isn't out in the street....he does so....into the house, and busts a taillight on the trailer....

WHEN IT RAINS IT POURS RIGHT FELLAS!!
Old 06-24-2007, 09:05 PM
TECH Veteran

lol ****
Old 04-23-2013, 10:04 PM
Staging Lane

[QUOTE=Zralou;7300285]I changed out the radiator on mine when it busted, the replacement didn't have a drain plug, so I thought no prob i'll just use the one on the busted rad. Yeah right, totally different size? same radiators, but different size drain plugs?. No prob I thought, quick trip to Autozone for a new one, I tried every year 4th gen, but none of them would fit?, in the end I used the one out of my 3rd gen Camaro.

Sara Lou[/
I'm having a similar problem just replaced the radiator in my 1994 z28 and said the same thing the drain plug from my old rad is to big to fit into the new rad . Got the rad from a friend brand new dropped right in . So the one from my original rad is to big so what size was the one you put in?
Old 04-23-2013, 10:06 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Zralou
I changed out the radiator on mine when it busted, the replacement didn't have a drain plug, so I thought no prob i'll just use the one on the busted rad. Yeah right, totally different size? same radiators, but different size drain plugs?. No prob I thought, quick trip to Autozone for a new one, I tried every year 4th gen, but none of them would fit?, in the end I used the one out of my 3rd gen Camaro.

Sara Lou
I'm having a similar problem just replaced the radiator in my 1994 z28 and said the same thing the drain plug from my old rad is to big to fit into the new rad . Got the rad from a friend brand new dropped right in . So the one from my original rad is to big so what size was the one you put in?

Quick Reply: Radiator Drain Cock Problem