LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

LEDgauges 6 bulbs?

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2007, 03:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by camar0corey
I picked up the twistlocks today, after tax it was $13.73 for 10, as they come in packs of 10. Going to attempt to do mine tommarow.

Any tips for cleaning the bezel? I might as well get it clean while I have it out. Anyone who did this recently have any issues in getting the cluster out? I've pulled a 3rd gen one out but not a 4th gen.
I used a microfiber cloth to wipe the inside of the gauge area. I would not recommend wiping the inside of the clear plastic bezel as it caused some scratches on mine. Also the dash pad is a b****. Cost me $188 from gmpartsdirect b/c I cracked mine.
Old 08-10-2007, 11:15 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks. I have a small crack in mine, I hope it doesn't get worse. At least its under $200 from gmpartsdirect, I seem to remember 3rd gen dashes costing a penny or two. Yeah I was curious about the clear plastic part, wondering the best way to clean it. Maybe its not even that dirty.
Old 08-11-2007, 12:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

well they make a plastic polish, that you can use if you have scratches on the bezel lens. It must be used in conjunction with soft buffing wheel. I will post before and after results, because I have hairline scratches on mine. I just did my girlfriends headlight lenses, and they came out great.
Old 08-11-2007, 12:14 PM
TECH Junkie

You know, all I wanted was to install my blue LEDs today..........
Some GM asshat of a engineer decided back in the day to put a bezel bolt under the dash pad. What the hell were they thinking? This is what I gotta deal with now.

Anyone have the P/N for the dash pad?? Oh I'm not happy right now, I probably can't afford one til next payday, bad enough my clear coat is coming off my door, now I gotta drive around with a f&$#'ed up dash for two weeks probably.
Old 08-11-2007, 12:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

Looks like mine... 10267171 Sorry to hear, I feel your pain!
Old 08-11-2007, 12:20 PM
TECH Junkie

Thanks, I was trying to get it out and then the top left wouldn't come out, I peeked under there and thought you got to be kidding me, so I lifted it up just a little and slid my ratchet in there, CRACK!!

I take it all dashes were the same color then, they were all greyish? Thanks for the quick response.

Go figure I just bought a seat last night, it'll be two weeks before I can get that fixed. Does it snap into place on top of everything else though? I mean can I finish up everything with the lights and such and then later on just put the dash pad in place? It looks like everything is below it right?
Old 08-11-2007, 12:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

Thanks, I was trying to get it out and then the top left wouldn't come out, I peeked under there and thought you got to be kidding me, so I lifted it up just a little and slid my ratchet in there, CRACK!!

I take it all dashes were the same color then, they were all greyish? Thanks for the quick response.

Go figure I just bought a seat last night, it'll be two weeks before I can get that fixed. Does it snap into place on top of everything else though? I mean can I finish up everything with the lights and such and then later on just put the dash pad in place? It looks like everything is below it right?
The dash pad I got seemed to be a lighter gray color than my original. I noticed you didn't take off your a-pillars, you should. And yes you can do everything you need to until you get a replacement dash pad. Everything is underneath it.
Old 08-11-2007, 12:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I did the same thing but on the right side. took a big chunk out of it. I have a nice dash cover though you cant see it.
Old 08-11-2007, 01:00 PM
TECH Junkie

Yeah, for future reference now I know...... Whoever writes those Haynes books should be shot too, I was getting frustrated on why the whole thing seemed loose but I couldn't get it out, then I found the bolt, then it cracked. Well I'm headed back out in the oppressive heat to continue on. I hope I have no more troubles, I printed out the picture of which bulbs to replace for a reference.
Old 08-11-2007, 02:39 PM
11 Second Club

Mayby I missed it..... but where do you get the LED lights from besides LEDgauges.com
Old 08-11-2007, 05:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by ZEX-Z
Mayby I missed it..... but where do you get the LED lights from besides LEDgauges.com
you can get them anywhere, try a search on google for "194 LED"
Old 08-11-2007, 05:30 PM
TECH Junkie

I can't wait til it gets dark tonight. They looked good under a towel, the only way I could see if they were lit up or not before I put it all back together. Yes the blue LEDS aren't any brighter than the factory bulbs, but I didn't want blinding light, I just wanted the blue color. I also took a look at my autometer fuel pressure gauge, that has a autometer LED in it, but its never been right, I'll see when it get dark if that has sorted itself out, it used to be lit, then looked dim or something, I flipped the bulb in the socket, if its still messed up I ordered a extra one when I got my bulbs, I'll change it out.
Old 08-11-2007, 05:44 PM
11 Second Club

Thanx for the info. I will do the same to mine..... Should look sick!
Old 08-11-2007, 07:19 PM
Launching!

I tryed out white and red.Till this day I cant decide which one to stick with.Im diggin the white at the moment

Old 08-11-2007, 08:12 PM
TECH Junkie

Maybe its your angle, but the tops look dimmer? I noticed that mine are a little lighter between 70-80, but not by much, and my fuel gauge is slightly dimmer than the others.
I'm using the blue leds, the dimmer doesn't seem to do much, maybe its where I bought the bulbs from, or maybe it doesn't make a difference cause they don't get stupid bright to begin with.

The red looks kinda demonic, its neat, but pontiacish.

Everyones white gauges look blue, I just tried taking a shot of my blue gauges and they came out looking white. They don't look anything like this, must be the cell phone camera

Last edited by camar0corey; 08-11-2007 at 08:24 PM.
Old 08-12-2007, 12:34 AM
TECH Fanatic

Looks pretty darn good. I did the red on mine to match my interior, red and black. Doing my sisters z28 in blue though.
Old 08-12-2007, 02:21 AM
TECH Apprentice

All the pictures I've seen so far I have not been impressed because of the hot spots but I've bought several different LEDs and by far the www.ledgauges.com offer the best quality and brightest out there although they only offer six in the kit. There is however a dim spot around 3500 to 6000 on the tach and 70-80 mph but I've come up with a solution and just finished it and it looks awsom. It takes out the dim spot. What I did was first I had a extra gauge cluster laying around and cut the printed cicut board where the three lights are in line on the right side of the cluster then I cut out two openings on top of the cluster housing where the tach and speedo are, I then screwed the portion of the printed circut board that I cut out and mounted it in the openings. I used two of the cheaper LEDs in those housings and now it lights up those dimly lit areas. I just brought power off a existing bulb. If I knew how to post pictures here I would.
Old 08-12-2007, 02:25 AM
TECH Apprentice

Oh another thing , the cheaper LEDs can barely light the needles as seen in the picture above but those LEDs that I listed above focuses there light directly to the gauge and needle prism. I'm telling you the $35 for the six were difinately worth it but be sure to ask for a extra one.
Old 08-12-2007, 05:14 AM
TECH Junkie

I'm going to try to get better pictures up once I borrow a real camera around here, mine doesn't seem to have these hot spots, just my fuel gauge looks slightly dimmer, needles didn't look any dimmer than stock. I don't think I could justify $35 just for 6 LEDS. They must have some voodoo stuff done to them to justify that price. Perhaps with the $35 ones, those work with the dimmer? Thats about what I can think of, as the dimmer doesn't do jack to mine.
Old 08-12-2007, 12:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

I'm going to try to get better pictures up once I borrow a real camera around here, mine doesn't seem to have these hot spots, just my fuel gauge looks slightly dimmer, needles didn't look any dimmer than stock. I don't think I could justify $35 just for 6 LEDS. They must have some voodoo stuff done to them to justify that price. Perhaps with the $35 ones, those work with the dimmer? Thats about what I can think of, as the dimmer doesn't do jack to mine.
The LEDGauges bulbs DO work with the dimmer. They are also VERY bright!! I also have two dim spots on the common areas mentioned above.

Quick Reply: LEDgauges 6 bulbs?