LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

blown ignition fuse?

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2007, 05:03 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default blown ignition fuse?

My buddies 97 SS keeps blowning the ing. fuss.The Book shows the wire sends power to coil,Icm and crank trigger.Ive been to 3 parts stores and none can check the coil or icm.
Does anyone have any ideas what i could do?
Old 07-15-2007, 11:35 AM
TECH Enthusiast

You really CAN'T check those parts without swapping in a new, or known good one. I had this problem last year. Turned out to be the ICM. Was a lucky guess. Got towed home twice in one day troubleshooting. I tore into everything ignition related over a period of several weeks, but after combing over the schematics there really isn't a whole lot of components in the ignition system, and many things kept pointing to the ICM - and I couldn't find anything physically wrong with my ignition system.

So I took a guess on it, and that fixed it. I hate shotgun troubleshooting but it worked this time. My theory is that since the ICM sits right on the motor it probably suffered through more than enough heat cycling over the years and finally just gave up. My car would start and run just fine with a fresh fuse for a few miles, until it got good and heat soaked then it would just pop the fuse. I even brought extra fuses with me on my second trip out and once it would start to pop them, I would plug in a new one and it would continue to pop them over and over.

Last edited by Compstall; 07-15-2007 at 11:43 AM.
Old 07-16-2007, 01:33 PM
Teching In

Yeah i think your right,Im going to tell him to buy the ICM and see if that works.His problem sounds identical to yours, Thanks for the help!

Quick Reply: blown ignition fuse?