LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

LS1 Airlid Conversion, WITH PICS!!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2007, 10:42 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by FASTFATBOY
Why would you do that? You are sucking in VERY hot air directly off the radiator...the whole idea to more power is cooler/denser air...and that aint doin it.

Guys stick with your CAI.

David
If that is the case, then why aren't LS1 owners switching to an LT1 style CAI in droves?
Old 07-17-2007, 11:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Why would you do that? You are sucking in VERY hot air directly off the radiator...the whole idea to more power is cooler/denser air...and that aint doin it.

Guys stick with your CAI.

David
Thats why I got them little hoses on the T/B. Really cool off that hot air

I lucked out cause I got the hood. I did it for cosmetic reasons. Don't need to nit pick for 5- 10 hp if any.

Looks great dude. Really nice work.
Old 07-18-2007, 12:08 AM
11 Second Club

Received 110 Likes on 85 Posts

Originally Posted by streetwarrior96
Thats why I got them little hoses on the T/B. Really cool off that hot air
Looks great dude. Really nice work.
Yea, they did a damn good job, mirrors mine just about.

You run the N20..I'll just build a big Motor with a set of really good Heads so I can suck in more of that hot air..
Old 07-18-2007, 07:14 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ele-blue95
The only time you are sucking hot air off the radiator is when you are sitting at a red light. when you are moving the motor only gets the cold air off the road. I have noticed a big difference just driving around town and on the interstate. The throttle is more responsive and the pull is better no matter what gear im in.

So does the radiator MOVE out from under the filter on acceleration? A good test would be a datalog of the MAF and AIT with a CAI VS. this setup...don't you think?

And for the record, if you guys have never taken a LS1 apart, it has a plastic piece under the filter to block heat off the radiator and condenser.

David
Old 07-18-2007, 08:42 AM
11 Second Club

So does the radiator MOVE out from under the filter on acceleration? A good test would be a datalog of the MAF and AIT with a CAI VS. this setup...don't you think?

And for the record, if you guys have never taken a LS1 apart, it has a plastic piece under the filter to block heat off the radiator and condenser.

David
When, in any Vehicle, does the Radiator move..
You are thinking about this too much..I picked up .2 in the Quarter goin to this. Another benefit is that it's a shorter Intake, less for the Air to travel, and it's straight to the Throttle Body.
I'll let you figure that one out..
Old 07-18-2007, 09:47 AM
TECH Veteran

Picked up .2? on the same day? You ran a CAI down the track, came to the pits and put the lid on and made another pass? Back to back? Same engine temp? Within say 1 hour? If you did not do these things, your .2 claim is worthless.

I am baffled as to why no one has either done the above or put a car on a chassis dyno and done the above.

OR a datalog, or even scan readings going down the road with the two swapped out. Write down the MAF and AIT reading on both.

I had a 5.0 LX, I had heard ALL these claims about how an electric fan was worth all this power and ET.....I went to the track, made 3 passes with the stock fan, logged them. removed it, put on the electric fan, made 3 passes....all on the same night, no other changes. The car ran the EXACT same 60ft, et and MPH.....that is the way you test something as this.

David
Old 07-18-2007, 12:01 PM
TECH Veteran

and the LS1 guys take that plastic out to do the FRA mod. the radiator is way behind the filter area. the AC condensor is the first thing thats near the filter and that doesnt get hot.
Old 07-18-2007, 02:24 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by Revelation Z28
and the LS1 guys take that plastic out to do the FRA mod. the radiator is way behind the filter area. the AC condensor is the first thing thats near the filter and that doesnt get hot.

That is what I am trying to say, the LS1 has a plastic piece under the filter blocking the radiator heat. The condenser does get hot with the a/c on. But at the track with it off, you are correct. No heat of the condenser.

These guys are laying the filter RIGHT ON THE RADIATOR...say what you want, but that is NOT good.

David
Old 07-18-2007, 02:45 PM
TECH Veteran

well im using the LS1 shroud and i dont have the plastic piece due to the FRA mod so im in the clear.
Old 07-18-2007, 06:43 PM
TECH Junkie

And with using the ls1 shroud you didn't have to hack up your radiator support right??
Old 07-18-2007, 06:43 PM
12 Second Club

To prove if there is a difference, i'll take my CAI to the track and swap them out and do a best of three runs. How would you like these runs? With DRs, without DRs, cut-out open, cut-out closed, Shifting at 6000 rpm or at 6300 rpm. You guys let me know what would make it easier for everyone. I can change alot of things just so we can get this over with, on the no gains, gains.
Old 07-18-2007, 06:47 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by camar0corey
And with using the ls1 shroud you didn't have to hack up your radiator support right??
Your right about that. But it will not clear the stock hood or the SS hood. You will have to have a ram air hood like the ultra Z or a cal hood.
Old 07-18-2007, 07:41 PM
TECH Apprentice

I am going to use the LS1 shroud, with the Sunoco hood. Should fit. As far as testing, dr's, same shift, and make sure you don't hot lap it :p
Old 07-18-2007, 08:27 PM
TECH Junkie

I'm planning on getting the harwood, Revelation said I might need to clearance a little on the underside of the hood to make it fit.

If anyone is using this with the 2.5" Harwood, please post up.
Old 07-18-2007, 10:26 PM
11 Second Club

These guys are laying the filter RIGHT ON THE RADIATOR...say what you want, but that is NOT good.

David
Yup, we are laying it right on the Radiator..

I got that special model too where the Radiator jumps, no **** it jumps , right out of the Hood, goes into the back, turns on the Flux Capacitor..and boy when you hit 88mph you better hold the **** on...

^^That's someone's new quote..
Old 07-18-2007, 11:30 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by the_merv
I got that special model too where the Radiator jumps, no **** it jumps , right out of the Hood, goes into the back, turns on the Flux Capacitor..and boy when you hit 88mph you better hold the **** on...
Damn Merv, I need one of those
Hey merv, I here you have just LS in the car. Let me know how she runs
Old 07-19-2007, 02:23 AM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by camar0corey
I'm planning on getting the harwood, Revelation said I might need to clearance a little on the underside of the hood to make it fit.

If anyone is using this with the 2.5" Harwood, please post up.
i went deeper than ive ever gone into anything to look for this. this is the topic WITH pictures on where you would need to cut for a lid on a 2.5" harwood cowl hood.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/western-members/707502-need-hood.html
Old 07-19-2007, 08:15 AM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by ele-blue95
The only time you are sucking hot air off the radiator is when you are sitting at a red light. when you are moving the motor only gets the cold air off the road. I have noticed a big difference just driving around town and on the interstate. The throttle is more responsive and the pull is better no matter what gear im in.
THE_MERV^^^^^^^^^^^^^
DId you HAPPEN to read this post?????????????? This is where I asked if the radiator moves out from under the filter when the car starts moving.

Think what you want rocket scientist, you ARE NOT duplicating what an LS1 has for a lid setup. go to Installuniversity.com and look at the pictures of the freemods to an LS1 lower airbox.

Until you PROVE the gains with a setup like in pictures in this post. And prove it like I stated in an earlier post, as far as I am concerned you wasted alot of time chopping up a perfectly good core support for nothing.

Again, here is how you prove me wrong:

Picked up .2? on the same day? You ran a CAI down the track, came to the pits and put the lid on and made another pass? Back to back? Same engine temp? Within say 1 hour? If you did not do these things, your .2 claim is worthless.

I am baffled as to why no one has either done the above or put a car on a chassis dyno and done the above.

OR a datalog, or even scan readings going down the road with the two swapped out. Write down the MAF and AIT reading on both.

David
Old 07-19-2007, 08:26 AM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by DOUBT IT
If that is the case, then why aren't LS1 owners switching to an LT1 style CAI in droves?

In case you have never SEEN a LS1 lower airbox...this car DOES NOT HAVE THE LOWER AIRBOX..DUHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!???

An LS1 BLOCKS the radiator heat with the plastic LOWER part of the box, a STOCK LS1 lower box TOTALLY is sealed off from the radiator and condenser.

The LS1 "free ram air mod" cuts the bottom of the box out FORWARD of the radiator.

Does ANYONE do their OWN research anymore...or just jump on th"it must be better" bandwagon because everyone ELSE is??!! Jeez.

Streetwarrior96 Did it correctly.

I have a Suncoast hood and Ram Air setup on my Z28, other than Streetwarrior96's setup, IMO it is the only other way to do it.

You guys think what you want, until I see logged PROOF....I will believe it dont work.

David
Old 07-19-2007, 08:44 AM
11 Second Club

You guys think what you want, until I see logged PROOF....I will believe it dont work.
Well you just stay slow then and we'll have fun..

Man..you are havin an issue with this..
For someone who doesn't give that much of a **** about it you put up one hell of an arguement..

Tell you what..when I finish up today, I'll post pics of it on there with my new Engine..I suppose I wasted a perfectly good Car by putting that in also..

Quick Reply: LS1 Airlid Conversion, WITH PICS!!!