LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

LS1 Airlid Conversion, WITH PICS!!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2007, 12:30 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

airbox was an easy install. i needed a cowl hood that had the cowl start right after the hood latch bar platform in order to house over the lid. you need to cut some of the bottom of the support so it sits flush with the cross support.
Old 07-19-2007, 12:43 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by the_merv
Well you just stay slow then and we'll have fun..

Man..you are havin an issue with this..
For someone who doesn't give that much of a **** about it you put up one hell of an arguement..

Tell you what..when I finish up today, I'll post pics of it on there with my new Engine..I suppose I wasted a perfectly good Car by putting that in also..

The issue I have is this, people chop up their car based on...what? Because you did it and you SAID it FELT faster? Did no testing whatsoever....NONE.

When you get your 15* headed LS1 together, It MUST have 10 more RWHP with that lid setup...you wouldnt have ANY problem running my SLOW 23* headed OLD SCHOOL LT1.....would ya? Motor to motor?

David

Last edited by FASTFATBOY; 07-19-2007 at 12:59 PM.
Old 07-19-2007, 07:37 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by ele-blue95
To prove if there is a difference, i'll take my CAI to the track and swap them out and do a best of three runs. How would you like these runs? With DRs, without DRs, cut-out open, cut-out closed, Shifting at 6000 rpm or at 6300 rpm. You guys let me know what would make it easier for everyone. I can change alot of things just so we can get this over with, on the no gains, gains.
Like i said David, Im going to do the testing for everyone tomarrow. And if anyone wants to send me some money, i'll go to the dyno down the road and spend the time to get numbers to the wheels.
Old 07-19-2007, 07:49 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by ele-blue95
Like i said David, Im going to do the testing for everyone tomarrow. And if anyone wants to send me some money, i'll go to the dyno down the road and spend the time to get numbers to the wheels.

Is your setup exactly like the one in this thread? Or does it have the LS1 lower box and rad support on it?

David
Old 07-19-2007, 08:23 PM
11 Second Club

Received 116 Likes on 91 Posts

Here ya go FATBOY..just like I promised..

Originally Posted by FASTFATBOY
The issue I have is this, people chop up their car based on...what? Because you did it and you SAID it FELT faster? Did no testing whatsoever....NONE.

When you get your 15* headed LS1 together, It MUST have 10 more RWHP with that lid setup...you wouldnt have ANY problem running my SLOW 23* headed OLD SCHOOL LT1.....would ya? Motor to motor?

David
I'm done arguing..I'll go have a more of a productive conversation with my Wall..

I'll run you Motor to Motor..with my "LS1"..
You fail to read the Signature young Grasshopper..

I don't know why you are referring to the LT1 like that anyways..no where am I baggin on it...last time I checked I had one in my Car at one point in time..

Last edited by the_merv; 07-20-2007 at 02:27 AM.
Old 07-19-2007, 08:58 PM
12 Second Club

Is your setup exactly like the one in this thread? Or does it have the LS1 lower box and rad support on it?

David
Mine is the one at the start of the thread. It was posted by my friend DOUBT IT since it was his camera that we took the pics with.
Old 07-19-2007, 09:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

hey merv why did ya go with a 114 LSA on that cam... gonna spray the **** out it???? should have gone 112
Old 07-19-2007, 09:47 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

In case you have never SEEN a LS1 lower airbox...this car DOES NOT HAVE THE LOWER AIRBOX..DUHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!???
Umm, jackass, my car IS AN LS1!!! Check the sig.

An LS1 BLOCKS the radiator heat with the plastic LOWER part of the box, a STOCK LS1 lower box TOTALLY is sealed off from the radiator and condenser.
...and open to the hot air that comes from under the hood. Actually on stock Z28's and non-WS6 TA's, the small opening in the front of the lower airbox is the ONLY source of air. Tell me how that is any better.

The LS1 "free ram air mod" cuts the bottom of the box out FORWARD of the radiator.
I know, I did it. I cut out the ENTIRE bottom piece of plastic, and sealed the hole in the front of the lower airbox, so my car ONLY pulls from the bottom, RIGHT IN THE SAME DAMN PLACE AS ELE-BLUE95'S CAR! I experienced a huge difference in pull up top, especially once I did the LS6 swap. My car has been pulling air from under the car for about two years now, and not a single problem with heat soak, or indication that the car is getting anything but nice fresh, cold air.
Old 07-19-2007, 10:03 PM
TECH Veteran

it sucks from the bottom too

the way i did mine i can get air either way. when youre at a stop it usually comes from the front and when moving the bottom

merv, i never thought id see the day.
Old 07-20-2007, 12:52 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Revelation Z28
Don't hold me too it..it's not runnin yet..
Old 07-20-2007, 01:06 AM
TECH Veteran

Don't hold me too it..it's not runnin yet..
**** id drive down there to help and watch since im in NJ right now.
Old 07-20-2007, 01:13 AM
11 Second Club

Come on down..better haul some ***, I am workin on it around 9am..
Old 07-20-2007, 01:17 AM
TECH Veteran

Come on down..better haul some ***, I am workin on it around 9am..
yea right that was if i had a car over here.
Old 07-20-2007, 07:08 AM
TECH Veteran

Here ya go FATBOY..just like I promised..

I'm done arguing..I'll go have a more of a productive conversation with my Wall..

I'll run you Motor to Motor..with my "LS1"..
You fail to read the Signature young Grasshopper..

I don't know why you are referring to the LT1 like that anyways..no where am I baggin on it...last time I checked I had one in my Car at one point in time..

Ahhh Sooo, you also fail to read MY sig young one.

You made the statement"you keep going slow" Here is what I am going slow with.

[IMG][/IMG]

I will be in Tulsa Ok in a month or so at Ed Wrights shop.....we can hook up after I am done. I got less motor in a heavier car...nothing to fear.

All I am after is PROOF.....If you prove me wrong I will shut up.

David
Old 07-20-2007, 07:19 AM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by Revelation Z28
it sucks from the bottom too

the way i did mine i can get air either way. when youre at a stop it usually comes from the front and when moving the bottom

It sucks from the bottom IN FRONT of the radiator, if you cut it out RIGHT... the radiator remains blocked off so heat cannot enter the intake with the stock LS1 lower box.

THIS is the point I am trying to make here. Cutting the core support and laying the filter DIRECTLY on top of the radiator IS NOT the same as what an LS1 has. THERE IS NO LOWER BOX to block the heat from the radiator.

In theory when the maf sees less dense(hot) air and the air inlet temp sensor(ait) sees hot air the ecm adjusts fuel and timing and thus less power. IN THEORY.

If it were ME and I did that, I would attach a piece of sheet aluminum on top of the rad and condenser, make a little stand for the filter to sit on and drill holes in the front of the core support to pull air from the spot between the core support and the front cap, angle it down and pop rivet it to the plastic piece angled up in front of the radiator but hey that's just me.

I am a realist...I need proof...you guys can **** up a rope for all I care....If you want to do that to your car because you THINK it makes it faster....I got no problem with that.

Think for a minute, why do cars run better in winter? Cooler air, why to F/I cars run intercoolers? Cooler air, why do cars run better at sea level? Denser air(aka cooler) Why do racers keep up with the DA at a racetrack? Air quality...COme on guys.

Again, if you prove me wrong...I will go away..

MERV, engine looks awesome.

David

Last edited by FASTFATBOY; 07-20-2007 at 07:33 AM.
Old 07-20-2007, 08:27 AM
11 Second Club

You got a good setup there yourself..it would be a good run..
Old 07-20-2007, 09:51 AM
11 Second Club

Think for a minute, why do cars run better in winter? Cooler air, why to F/I cars run intercoolers? Cooler air, why do cars run better at sea level? Denser air(aka cooler) Why do racers keep up with the DA at a racetrack? Air quality...COme on guys.

David
TRUE STORY ABOVE ~ Haven't been falling the drama but did see the first pics and this last post and couldn't agree more, my concern would be the hot ambient air off the radiator, it could possibly (more than likely) will negatively affect your tune when she's running. Definitely get it setup with something blocking the bottom more like an ls1 setup, but excellent craftsmanship.
Old 07-20-2007, 11:17 AM
TECH Veteran

all i know is the way mine is is the way to go, and it works great. i was going to do the hack mod, but i decided a hood to clear the setup is worth more than taking a chunk out of the front framerail. so i just got the radiator cover and a lid. i just want to get the FTRA/SLP air funnel from the flowpack. so itll feed it air from the bottom with more of a charge.

Last edited by Revelation Z28; 07-20-2007 at 11:26 AM.
Old 07-20-2007, 01:02 PM
TECH Junkie

Thanks for the link to the thread, I saved the pic of that harwood. Was he still trying to get rid of that hood???

I'm going your route also, I'll just get a hood to clear instead of cutting things up.

Even if hypothetically it doesn't make any more power, it will make working on things easier. Having to pull the K&N CAI is a pain in the ***.
Old 07-20-2007, 01:15 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by camar0corey
Thanks for the link to the thread, I saved the pic of that harwood. Was he still trying to get rid of that hood???

I'm going your route also, I'll just get a hood to clear instead of cutting things up.

Even if hypothetically it doesn't make any more power, it will make working on things easier. Having to pull the K&N CAI is a pain in the ***.
i dont know if he's gotten rid of the hood yet. it should give you more top end pull since its a straight to the TB flow, and a shorter ram charge to the intake.

Quick Reply: LS1 Airlid Conversion, WITH PICS!!!