LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Turbo LT1's?

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2007, 02:34 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Smokeshow_2006
I thought it different. I thought peak boost from a supercharger came on right before rev limit, as its boost is directly related to engine rpms, being driven by the belt.

Also, working with diesels quite often, Peak boost usually comes on around 12-1600 rpm in the bigger trucks, and between 2-4k for the powerstroke fords..
It mostly comes down to how the turbo is sized, and the application. Turbo lag can almost completely be removed by properly researching parts that will compliment each other.

Regarding a supercharger: essentially a centrifugal supercharger is a turbo on a belt. It uses the belt to spin the impeller which forces more air into your engine. There is still some lag with a centrifugal, along with parasitic power loss because it is belt driven. Still normally the ends justify the means in terms of ultimate power output.
Old 07-26-2007, 05:37 PM
TECH Enthusiast

[QUOTE=Smokeshow_2006]Hijack!

Any pro's/ cons running a supercharger instead of a turbo on the lt1?
QUOTE]
It is purely a matter of opinion... IMO turbo is much better for a few reasons. Superchargers being belt driven do take power to spin up, and turbo charger leaves more options open with location. I can say, there is no better sound than a blower (roots or centrifugal) but for efficiency i am all for the turbo. And for the ones downing STS kits, from my understanding although the kit is not as "functional" as the conventional style (backpressure and so forth) the efficiency makes up for it in the end. I have driven a few vehicles that were remote mount turbocharged and to be perfectly honest if the kits are built right there is absolutely no difference in how they feel. It all comes down to what WHYHELLO said, research and parts combo is the end factor. If you match the compressor map to your application, zero lag SHOULD be there. In my experience, turbo lag is only caused when the charger is too big for your application... (this is regarding NORMAL boost levels, the honda's on 2.0 bar (boost) and up is a different discussion) just my .02. but as far as the original post goes, i dont see why the aftermarket headers should matter. STS says the stock manifolds build more heat, but with aftermarket headers why not move the charger closer to the headers?? (just some food for thought)
Old 07-26-2007, 10:20 PM
Teching In

Here's mine:

I'll post more pics later if anybody cares.

-Chris
Old 07-26-2007, 11:52 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Wicked setup. I'd love to see what the intercooler looks like once you have the front clip back on the car.
Old 07-27-2007, 12:40 PM
12 Second Club

Chrisbequick - Who fabricated the hot parts? They look awesome.

Do you have detail shots of where the turbo is located?
Old 07-29-2007, 10:41 PM
Teching In

Here ya' go.

-Chris

Quick Reply: Turbo LT1's?