LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

what else can cause a misfire besides plugs/wires

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2007, 03:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by lt197formula
Sounds like o2's to me...what brand and how old are yours?
To be honest, i dont know how old they are, and i couldnt tell you what brand either. When i put on the headers they didnt look to be in bad condition but maybe they have gone bad. What should i look for if i pull them off to see if they are bad?

If i have a bad O2 sensor wouldnt i throw a code also?

Last edited by transambandit; 07-26-2007 at 03:43 PM.
Old 07-26-2007, 04:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

well drove it in today to get diagnosed, hopefully will know tomorrow what the problem is, but while i was driving there the car was starting to run way hot, like 240-250, i know it can run a little bit hotter with the EWP but it was getting towards the red line. If i wire up an fan turn on switch will that help?
Old 07-26-2007, 05:11 PM
TECH Enthusiast

cutting the fans on sooner will run you cooler, UNLESS you have a cooling issue. just my opinion, but if you are getting a misfire, and you are beginning to have a cooling problem (check to see if you have coolant loss), i would probably check the compression. possibly a low reading on one cylinder, or a blown gasket... could be a number of things. i have seen misfires in MANY different forms. if you know anyone with a 5 gas or 4 gas analyzer, i would begin by finding out if it is a fuel misfire or ignition misfire. It is really hard to diagnose over the computer, these are purely suggestions. let me know if i can help anymore

Last edited by SLawson86; 07-26-2007 at 05:39 PM.
Old 07-26-2007, 05:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

well right now i am in limbo just have to wait and see what the guys diagnosis is. I hope its not a blown head gasket.
Old 07-26-2007, 07:11 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by transambandit
To be honest, i dont know how old they are, and i couldnt tell you what brand either. When i put on the headers they didnt look to be in bad condition but maybe they have gone bad. What should i look for if i pull them off to see if they are bad?

If i have a bad O2 sensor wouldnt i throw a code also?
Not necessarily. You can have a O2 that isn't taking proper readings but isn't throwing a code.

If you don't know the age, condition, or brand of the O2s. It might not hurt to replace them.

This doesn't mean to start throwing parts at the car however, try to diagnose it so you can save some money. If the issues with the misfire occur all the time, no matter if you're at WOT, first starting the car, or anywhere in between. Then it probably isn't the O2s.
Old 07-26-2007, 08:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

yeah when i drove over to the shop which is about 5 or 6 miles away it was almost a constant popping

Quick Reply: what else can cause a misfire besides plugs/wires