LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

What are the options I have??

Old 08-04-2007, 12:46 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What are the options I have??

Hi.I have a 1995 camaro Z28 and I am new to doing mods to it.I have put on a Flowmaster muffler and a high flow cat.. I am wanting to know what I can do to have my car run a decent 1/4 mile time and be able to drive it everyday.I plan to get a hooker cat back exhaust, but was wondering what else I can do with out spending alot of cash because I am going to college right now.Thanks
Old 08-04-2007, 01:08 AM
TECH Fanatic

Headers, CAI, Pullies, Cutouts. etc
Old 08-04-2007, 02:54 AM
Teching In

NOS one of the cheapest HP per dollar out there. A 125-150 is good for a stock motor.
Old 08-04-2007, 08:41 AM
TECH Resident

I would do gears, cai, DR'S, LT headers, ORY, Programming, stall if your an A4and then like 86zboss says nitrous. Also do a search on "free mods" and those will help as well.
Old 08-04-2007, 08:41 AM
12 Second Club

Headers, CAI, Pullies, Cutouts. 160.Therm
Old 08-04-2007, 09:39 AM
Launching!

What kind of NOS should I run wet kit or dry kit. Also I didnt know if a hot cam kit be for what I am wanting.If so would I need to change the lifters because I didnt know if the LT1 came with a roller cam.
Old 08-04-2007, 09:49 AM
11 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Skip the pullies and cutout people keep recommending, with the LT1 waterpump arrangement pullies offer little potential power freed up. A cutout is a bandaid for a poor system like the chokemaster you have, IMO the money would be better spent on a decent muffler like the Hooker catback you are looking at.

Sounds like you are a LONG ways from a cam being a decent idea and at that point the HOT cam is not a particularly good choice. It's popularity is rooted in ignorance more than anything else. The stock lifters can be reused just fine on roller cams.

I will agree with the headers and CAI recommendations, gears and then a stall if an A4 car, gears will require reprogramming and that is a good mod on a basically stock car anyway. This will keep you busy for quite awhile and all is required before a cam, trust me I did a cam before I had the rest of it. The car drove fine but it was still a mistake.
Old 08-04-2007, 12:14 PM
Launching!

With putting on headers and a CAI plus the hooker cat back..What would anyone guess I would run in the 1/4 mile...My car has 120000 miles and has A4 with stock drivetrain.
Old 08-04-2007, 05:58 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by lilblackZ28
What kind of NOS should I run wet kit or dry kit. Also I didnt know if a hot cam kit be for what I am wanting.If so would I need to change the lifters because I didnt know if the LT1 came with a roller cam.
IMHO wet kits are best on LT1's because of the tunability of them with the jets. The Maf are not as good on the LT1's and the computer does not read as fast so in order to do a dry kit its more work (let alone the injectors and fuel pump ect.). I run Dynotune wet kit and love it.
Old 08-05-2007, 02:37 PM
Launching!

How much is the Dynotune wet kit?
Old 08-05-2007, 03:45 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by 96capricemgr
Skip the pullies and cutout people keep recommending, with the LT1 waterpump arrangement pullies offer little potential power freed up. A cutout is a bandaid for a poor system like the chokemaster you have, IMO the money would be better spent on a decent muffler like the Hooker catback you are looking at.

Sounds like you are a LONG ways from a cam being a decent idea and at that point the HOT cam is not a particularly good choice. It's popularity is rooted in ignorance more than anything else. The stock lifters can be reused just fine on roller cams.

I will agree with the headers and CAI recommendations, gears and then a stall if an A4 car, gears will require reprogramming and that is a good mod on a basically stock car anyway. This will keep you busy for quite awhile and all is required before a cam, trust me I did a cam before I had the rest of it. The car drove fine but it was still a mistake.

some people like the sound of cutouts at the track not to mention they are basically absolutly free flowing (not necessarily always a good thing with stock motor)
Old 08-05-2007, 03:57 PM
TECH Apprentice

if it runs really hot like lt1s seem to do stock...a low temp thermostat is a good idea IMO.that and a cold air will tame your temps. the throttle body bypass isnt worth much but you can do it for under 10dollars...and it is worth a few hp

Search this Thread