LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

450 hp natual/stock internals is it possible???

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2007, 09:59 PM
11 Second Club

Received 63 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by mybluez28echoes
just save some $1500 and get yourself some of this : http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...link:middle:us

With porting ur heads your dream will come true .
Yea..if you had an old El Camino..
Old 08-05-2007, 06:25 AM
10 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Yeah please don't buy that shortblock.
Old 08-05-2007, 12:06 PM
11 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Guys, he probably is not worth your keystrokes, he sent me a nastygram about not liking my input. How many of you repeated what I said about the LT4 stuff not being the ticket, and one of you flat out complimented my reply.

All he wants to hear is that he has the right idea, he does not want genuine, intelligent input.
Old 08-05-2007, 12:39 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

zlover- It is definatly possible to put down 450 hp out of a stock short block. We built my cousins 94 trans am m6, with 60k miles on it, it now has over 100, and just dynoed at 433rwhp

The buildup was:
Afr 215 lt4 heads, gtp stage 3 porting, bigger valves, lt4 intake port matched, Billet roller cam Gtp reccomended for heads/intake
Asm 58mm tb
lt1 edit
vented opti conversion
mezire Ewp
Ram-air conversion, Descreened ported maf, k and n
30lb svo
aermotive adjfpr
flp long tubes, and y
Stud girdles, hand fabbed tall Vc
billet crank hub, mccloud dual disc,
4.11s, full suspension, 17x11 chrome zr1 with 335s, 17x9.5 up front
The car was finished in 2000, it dynoed at about 410 before tuning, Then when tuning was done it topped out in high 420's, then the guy he sold it to just spun 433. The only thing the car has had was plugs and oil changes, everything else is the way it left here. almost 50k of hard abuse and still goin strong.

Speed demon- This car was no compromise, sure it had a huge cam, and idled like a top fuel drag car with its borla/ electric cutout open. But this thing pulled like a freight train from 2000-6000+. Was full weight, cold a/c, heavy chrome zr1 rims, and would pull hard on my cousins other car a 2003 finial edition viper with b and b exhaust.
you could jump in this car and drive it to cali and back, never one hiccup

Was this 450rwhp? No, but its pretty close for a car with stock short block
Could you easily make 450hp, cheaper, and easier with a bolt on supercharger. Yes
Its really up to you, im gonna supercharger my 96 ws6, and save my money for a nice short block and head cam setup, then ill have the best of both worlds.
Old 08-05-2007, 01:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

what is this car running
Old 08-05-2007, 01:55 PM
11 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by streetwarrior96
what is this car running
In other words does it go down the track or is it an LSX style dyno queen, that does not MPH/ET well? HP on the rollers does not necessarily equal performance even aside from the drivetrain.
Old 08-05-2007, 02:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 96capricemgr
In other words does it go down the track or is it an LSX style dyno queen, that does not MPH/ET well? HP on the rollers does not necessarily equal performance even aside from the drivetrain.
I didn't feel like typing that much
Old 08-05-2007, 02:28 PM
11 Second Club

Received 63 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by 96capricemgr
I got a Dyno Queen then..

There comes to a point though with an LT1 that you are goin to sacrifice the streetability when you are pushing for high-numbers NA..I had 340's at the Wheels..and it was a blast to drive, just enough to toast most of the faster cars here..and it didn't cost a whole hell of alot.
Old 08-05-2007, 05:23 PM
TECH Enthusiast

The car i built for my cousin never went down the track. It had kb dd subs, hotchkis control arms, adj tq and phr, and full poly bushings with 1le springs and sways. We also did 4.10 gears with ta girdle, nothing ever blew.

This was definatly an 11 second car, it beat zo6 vettes, nitrous m3s, h/c/i ls1s, **** even his own viper with me in the ta and him in the viper from a 50 roll. Im sure it would have broken 500 rwhp with a 383
Old 08-05-2007, 06:44 PM
Teching In

Default Advise Appriciated!!

Thank you everyone for your imput. It definatly helps me in my search for the right parts and setup for my desires. I just sold my 87 Grand National show condtion and ran mid 10's with 465 hp at the rear wheels. I built that car completely myself except for the short block (All stock internals). I leave that up to the professionals with the expensive tools. So I know that a charged engine is the way to go to make big streetable power. My inquiry was if it's CAPABLE for an LT1 to make that kind of power all natural and be street friendly apparently I was mistaken.
I guess I should rephase my inquiry. I'm looking to have a streetable mid 11 second car and wanted to know if thats possible on a stock N/A engine.

As far as 96capricemgr goes you can get off your high horse now. Your the greatest in your own mind. You may know alot and kudos to you for that, but need work on your people skills.

I never said LT4 parts were the best thing since sliced bread. I just see alot of parts AVAILABLE for them . And wanted to know if there was truth to the advertising. I see that's not the case. And for the record a "inexperienced kid" would just go through the Summit catalog and order anything that said LT1 or LT4. The purpose of this thread is for research that what seperates the men from the boys.

Again thank you everyone for your help and sorry for the rant.
Old 08-05-2007, 08:13 PM
On The Tree

what's wrong with that short block speed_demon24? My buddy bought it two years ago from this store and his car is pushing 624 rwhp, no problems what so ever, as a matter of fact he said it's the best buy., now what exactly is wrong with that block on ebay? Have you seen the guys feedback? You think they are ALL stupid? I'd like to know so I don't make a MISTAKE if you think it's a mistake, so any help would be appreciated.
Old 08-05-2007, 08:39 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by mybluez28echoes
what's wrong with that short block speed_demon24? My buddy bought it two years ago from this store and his car is pushing 624 rwhp, no problems what so ever, as a matter of fact he said it's the best buy., now what exactly is wrong with that block on ebay? Have you seen the guys feedback? You think they are ALL stupid? I'd like to know so I don't make a MISTAKE if you think it's a mistake, so any help would be appreciated.
Yeah I do. If you honestly think a $1500 shortblock is actually built with all the right tolerances and clearences you are dilusional. The reason the good shops charge more $$ for shortblocks is because you are paying for the assembly, not the parts. Cheap shortblocks = shitty build tolerances its that simple.
Old 08-05-2007, 09:03 PM
On The Tree

I take it back guy, that makes sense and you're right
Old 08-05-2007, 10:07 PM
TECH Addict

PLus they dont seem to offer a Gen II SB. SO no dice anyways.
Old 08-06-2007, 12:26 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by glocklimited9
zlover- It is definatly possible to put down 450 hp out of a stock short block. We built my cousins 94 trans am m6, with 60k miles on it, it now has over 100, and just dynoed at 433rwhp

The buildup was:
Afr 215 lt4 heads, gtp stage 3 porting, bigger valves, lt4 intake port matched, Billet roller cam Gtp reccomended for heads/intake
Asm 58mm tb
lt1 edit
vented opti conversion
mezire Ewp
Ram-air conversion, Descreened ported maf, k and n
30lb svo
aermotive adjfpr
flp long tubes, and y
Stud girdles, hand fabbed tall Vc
billet crank hub, mccloud dual disc,
4.11s, full suspension, 17x11 chrome zr1 with 335s, 17x9.5 up front
The car was finished in 2000, it dynoed at about 410 before tuning, Then when tuning was done it topped out in high 420's, then the guy he sold it to just spun 433. The only thing the car has had was plugs and oil changes, everything else is the way it left here. almost 50k of hard abuse and still goin strong.

Speed demon- This car was no compromise, sure it had a huge cam, and idled like a top fuel drag car with its borla/ electric cutout open. But this thing pulled like a freight train from 2000-6000+. Was full weight, cold a/c, heavy chrome zr1 rims, and would pull hard on my cousins other car a 2003 finial edition viper with b and b exhaust.
you could jump in this car and drive it to cali and back, never one hiccup

Was this 450rwhp? No, but its pretty close for a car with stock short block
Could you easily make 450hp, cheaper, and easier with a bolt on supercharger. Yes
Its really up to you, im gonna supercharger my 96 ws6, and save my money for a nice short block and head cam setup, then ill have the best of both worlds.
Ok, so something with as heavy wheels as those putting down that much power on a shorty block. If it was done (which I doubt) but if it was then props to you, how bout some important specs like flow numbers on the heads and how gigantic this cam is, how bout a dyno chart to show the wonderful power curve i bet that thing has or maybe some track times. Simply put, if you did that you have one hell of a freak car, its probably no where near streetable and the power curve probably really sucks. LT1's are not high horsepower engines, but they run great. Congrats on the high hp if it trully did make that, but again the dyno is not the relm for the LT1's, the track is.

As far as eltwerker with 4K in the ls1 and made the power he did, i apologize, i didnt realize that included labor and it wasnt just in the motor as well, thats not bad at all then.

Thanks for the compliment ironzcross
Old 08-06-2007, 12:28 AM
TECH Fanatic

To sum it up, a streetable mid 11 second stock bottom end is defnitnely possible. Good H/C package, good rear end, good tires, good suspension, and decent driving and your there.
Old 08-06-2007, 02:33 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

check out lloyd elliot he has been putting some good h/c packages for some local guys here in town....
Old 08-06-2007, 03:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by zlover129
To sum it up, a streetable mid 11 second stock bottom end is defnitnely possible. Good H/C package, good rear end, good tires, good suspension, and decent driving and your there.
My friend has an M6 1995 t/a that ran an 11.3 on the stock bottom end with LE2 heads, 9" rear, and M/T ET street radials. He also has stock suspension. It is defiantly possible and I plan on putting the LE2 on my car soon.
Old 08-06-2007, 03:16 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I know one guy who had a 383 LE3 heads and LE4 cam (i think thats right), and it put down a little more that 450 n/a.
Old 08-07-2007, 12:16 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by tes87gn
Thank you everyone for your imput. It definatly helps me in my search for the right parts and setup for my desires. I just sold my 87 Grand National show condtion and ran mid 10's with 465 hp at the rear wheels. I built that car completely myself except for the short block (All stock internals). I leave that up to the professionals with the expensive tools. So I know that a charged engine is the way to go to make big streetable power. My inquiry was if it's CAPABLE for an LT1 to make that kind of power all natural and be street friendly apparently I was mistaken.
I guess I should rephase my inquiry. I'm looking to have a streetable mid 11 second car and wanted to know if thats possible on a stock N/A engine.

As far as 96capricemgr goes you can get off your high horse now. Your the greatest in your own mind. You may know alot and kudos to you for that, but need work on your people skills.

I never said LT4 parts were the best thing since sliced bread. I just see alot of parts AVAILABLE for them . And wanted to know if there was truth to the advertising. I see that's not the case. And for the record a "inexperienced kid" would just go through the Summit catalog and order anything that said LT1 or LT4. The purpose of this thread is for research that what seperates the men from the boys.

Again thank you everyone for your help and sorry for the rant.

I know some guys will kill me for using the name.. but look at Shon Herron's car! Ran an 11.8x in his 97 M6 car with bolt-ons ONLY, and ~120k miles on the motor... and his 94 car ran low 11's with just a hotcam and 100 shot..

There's a big difference between trying to obtain big numbers on the dyno, and trying to get a good ET/MPH at the track. Most of your money (if you're smart) won't be spent on the drivetrain at all. Things like suspension, wheels/tires, chassis re-enforcement, weight reduction, and safety equipment eat up a lot of that dough.

Quick Reply: 450 hp natual/stock internals is it possible???