LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

overheating help please

Old 08-10-2007, 07:21 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default overheating help please

got my car back, driving from atlanta to statesboro, i get to the metter exit, (approx 150 miles from beginning of trip) and the temp gauge goes off the chart again, does it on long trips now consistantly

get to the gas station at the exit, notice there is a bunch of water that has come out of the overflow resevoir. it is also full.

open the bleed screws, just air.

finally get the cap off carfully, let the pressure and some hot water get out of the way, get the cap the rest of the way off, and notice that the radiator is empty AGAIN.

put 2.5 gallons of water into it and it runs right back where it should again.

so...i called my mechanic and he said the radiator cap could have gone bad, cuz on his impala (LT1) his cap went bad, and it was doing the same thing...otherwise it would have to be a head gasket.

my question is, could a bad radiator cap be causing the coolant system to be come overpressurized and blowing coolant out through the overflow resevoir. the resevoir is full of water as i said, so it makes sense that it's blowing it out through the overflow, just not sure. i'm really not hoping it's a head gasket.
Old 08-10-2007, 07:34 PM
11 Second Club

Received 58 Likes on 51 Posts

If if was a Head Gasket, it would puff White Smoke like a Chimney..
Originally Posted by Soccerbum21
put 2.5 gallons of water into it and it runs right back where it should again.
Are you using just straight Water this whole time?
Old 08-10-2007, 07:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

did you pour 2.5 gall of water into a hot engine? Hope you didnt crack the block.
Old 08-11-2007, 11:55 AM
TECH Apprentice

Mine was doing the same thing, but it was because the car was overheating, causing steam which in turn causes air locking, which forces water out at the weakest point, i.e. radiator cap.

I wired in a fan switch and never had a problem since (I also changed out the cap and put in a 160* stat before installing the switch that didn't fix the problem).

Sara Lou
Old 08-11-2007, 12:25 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 46 Likes on 35 Posts

could be the cap, or a bad radiator
Old 08-11-2007, 02:20 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Have you ever pulled the radiator out before.
Old 08-11-2007, 03:49 PM
On The Tree

I was having Bad overheating probs at the begining of the summer so take it step by step, Get a new Cap they are cheap and if yours was old what the hell get one anyway, Give your self a good flush and refill. Try and bleed all the air out this is where i had problems because it kept burping up air and then i would go off into the red, so keep Bleeding the air Good info on Shbox.com check it out helped me. If you still have problems then take it in to get checked out
GOOD LUCK
Old 08-11-2007, 06:00 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Check and make sure your fans are coming on when they are suppossed to. Also check and make sure the steam line on the back of the heads is not leaking around the bolts or gaskets. Over a short period of time the rubber gaskets that seal the steam line to the back of the head will give and seap by. Also check and make sure you do not have the steam line and the coolant resivor return line criss crossed. That will cause a slow heating problem. Check the radiator for a damp spot after you get done driving it. It the system is not sealed off...... it will not cool. But the fans have to be operating properly in order to cool everything. Hows the air dam under the car. You didnt take it off did you? I am sure i covered the basics of what i know from experience. All of my cars run 180 all day long. Make sure the front of the radiator is not plugged up with grass or a plastic bag. Or even the condenser. The air has to travel through it to get to the radiator..... I'm done.
Old 08-11-2007, 11:27 PM
11 Second Club

got me a new cap

seems to have taken care of the problem.

i'm gonna check the level in the radiator in the morning just to see if it's consumed anymore coolant but i'm pretty sure this solved it

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: overheating help please