LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

high rpm "popping" on nitrous

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2007, 06:59 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Get an A/F ratio gauge also. Like said in previous posts, lean or rich and you're in trouble. It's a cheap way to prevent malfunction.

Have you adjusted the timing at all? Handheld tuner? MSD, Mallory box?

Good luck and I hope you get the problem worked out.
Old 08-14-2007, 07:18 PM
On The Tree

I'll get a a/f gauge on there. Nope its all stock ignition, timing and no tune. I'll definately be looking into a ignition box and coil. The reason why I have'nt tuned it; is I will be rebuilding the motor this winter so I will need a tune after that. Right now I was just seeing how fast I can go before the rebuild.
Old 08-15-2007, 06:27 AM
11 Second Club

I went through the same thing. Everything that has already been said, all contribute to the issue. Bottle pressure is important, if its not high enough all your doing is spraying fuel. (will foul plugs everytime) Ingition is second. You need a more spark to burn all fuel and nitrous in the cyclinder. (if not it will back fire everytime, worst case you will get a nitrous backfire back through the throttle body). Fuel pump may not be strong enough to push the extra fuel. (this will make you lean out, car will pull like hell but will blow it up at the same time, I dont think that is your problem) Timing is another. On a conserative stand point 100hp shot is fine on stock timing if everything is right. If I can remember this right: rule of thumb: 125 shot pull 2* 150 shot pull 4* for safe timing on nitrous. I hope that is right. (I have that desease "CRS" Cant Remember Sh#t) Over all if you ever have problems running nitrous check your plugs. They will be your window to what is going wrong.
Old 08-15-2007, 09:24 AM
On The Tree

Well I am thinking its not the bottle pressure because the plugs are really clean, they almost look like they got too hot... fuel pressure was 38-40 psi, I think I am going to unhook the nitrous bottle and check the pressure when the system is activated, what psi should I have? What ignition coil is recommended?

thanks again for the replys

Quick Reply: high rpm "popping" on nitrous