LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

True Duals... How/What...

Old 08-14-2007, 02:30 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default True Duals... How/What...

Does true duals really give a decent power boost? Will I still pass emissions? how is it routed, and who sells stuff for it? thanks!
Old 08-14-2007, 03:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

First off, congrats on spelling Duals correctly, that little four letter word has eluded many ls1tech posters for quite some time

secondly once you relocate the cats it makes a car illegal in the states with emission testing

I dont have true duals but I would imagine they would flow much better than the current y system in the stock f-bodies.

if you do a search there are plenty of people who have gone with true duals

as far as I know nobody sells a true dual "kit" you will have to get a muffler shop to fab up a system for you.

hope this helps
Old 08-14-2007, 03:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

first what you want is long tube headers. if you have those, then the next step is a universal x-pipe (or h-pipe) kit from summit or jegs, 2.5" or 3".

then select mufflers, bullets or other race mufflers are basically pipes with some little ripples in them to make them called a muffler. they really do nothing to muffle the sound, they make your car have a lot of extra noise inside the cab if you dump them under the car. you can also run regular higher flowing mufflers but not all of them will fit under your car. you have a choice of dumping the exhaust using turndowns under the car, or you can go over the axle and out the back.

but first, get long tubes if you dont have them, actually, just get it all done at once like i did, you will love it.
Old 08-14-2007, 05:43 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Captainofiron
First off, congrats on spelling Duals correctly, that little four letter word has eluded many ls1tech posters for quite some time

secondly once you relocate the cats it makes a car illegal in the states with emission testing

I dont have true duals but I would imagine they would flow much better than the current y system in the stock f-bodies.

if you do a search there are plenty of people who have gone with true duals

as far as I know nobody sells a true dual "kit" you will have to get a muffler shop to fab up a system for you.

hope this helps
ah ****. i want this car to be street legal. I guess ill just get LTs and a y-pipe
Old 08-14-2007, 05:58 PM
On The Tree

you could make it legal
Old 08-14-2007, 07:01 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by 94Pontiac
you could make it legal
how? once i relocate the cat its illegal?
Old 08-14-2007, 07:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 94Pontiac
you could make it legal
it depends on where he lives

if you have emissions testing in your county and they stick the sniffer up the tailpipe then most definitely you will be illegal with duals, but if you get technical moving or altering the catalytic converters is illegal and makes your car not pass inspection

but LT1man said is true, get some LTs first, then worry about the exhaust
Old 08-14-2007, 07:25 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Captainofiron
it depends on where he lives

if you have emissions testing in your county and they stick the sniffer up the tailpipe then most definitely you will be illegal with duals, but if you get technical moving or altering the catalytic converters is illegal and makes your car not pass inspection
Why is that? from a smog test what would be the difference in duals with cats and a y pipe setup with cats? Either way it isn't the duals that makes the setup illegal, its the LTs.
Old 08-14-2007, 07:56 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by meangreenformula
Why is that? from a smog test what would be the difference in duals with cats and a y pipe setup with cats? Either way it isn't the duals that makes the setup illegal, its the LTs.
Correction, both are illegal. Anything that deviates from the stock configuration is technically illegal. BUT (and there is always a but), if you don't have a visual inspection you can get away with some stuff. If you have an OBDII car, which I noticed you to, you can typically get away with really anything you want as long as where you live is like most places (California being the exception), and only does a computer test for 96+. Basically if there is no sniffer of visual for OBDII cars in your area all you need to do is get your computer tuned to show all emissions equipment functioning. That's it. I will be moving to a city that has emmissions, however Im not really worried about it because I'm OBDII and can do whatever the @#$! I dam well please, which includes race LTs, and duals with no cats. Sorry bout the short novel.

Last edited by nighthawk15; 08-14-2007 at 08:01 PM.
Old 08-14-2007, 08:07 PM
On The Tree

yeah I guess it really depends where you live. Where I live they is no testing, but in a city near by they have air care and you will most likely pass the test with a h/c car with cats.
Old 08-14-2007, 10:50 PM
TECH Addict

all they do in NJ is check the readiness monitors... no idle sniffer test
Old 08-15-2007, 02:15 AM
TECH Resident

Then you my friend can do whatever you want
Old 08-15-2007, 02:53 AM
On The Tree

Default Lt's n Y pipe ...cant go wrong

hey, if your on a budget check out the ps LT's and y Pipe can't go wrong.
Old 08-15-2007, 03:15 AM
In-Zane Moderator

Received 32 Likes on 19 Posts

Check out the install....Mark it will be a Fbodynightmare.

Search this Thread