LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

I need some help

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2003 | 11:41 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I need some help

On the way home from a friends house my car misses realy bad for a second then its fine. 15 seconds later it does it again for a little longer then goes away. Well the third time it dose it and dies. My friend had to trailer me home. Now the car wants to turn over but cant, it seems like it gets an initial spark and thats it. I just put an msd coil and 6A box with new wires and plugs. I know its getting fuel. You think it might be an opti or the MSD box ?
Old 05-27-2003 | 07:56 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: I need some help

I'm not a big LT1 expert, but my son's 95 TA did the same thing. This was a car with a Procharger and an MSD BTM ignition box. Sometimes it would start, sometimes not. Fuel pressure was good. Appeared to have spark. Replaced the PCM (waiste of $$$), but that did not fix the problem. Turned out to be the infamous "Opti-Crap". And it wasn't cheap, to say the least.

Come to find out that even though it had spark, the ignition timing during start would get so far off at times, it just could not start. Very strange that it would have spark, but, at times change the timing so dramatically.

Good luck,
Ron
Old 05-27-2003 | 11:10 AM
TECH Addict

Bypass the MSD since that is free - but if that doesn't work it is probably the opti-spark.

Old 05-28-2003 | 12:01 PM
Teching In

I`ve heard of people upgrading to msd or other brands and destroying opti`s. Not everytime but sometimes.
Old 05-29-2003 | 10:15 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Ditto what Chris B said. I've seen opti's die right on the spot so the myth of them progressively dying doesn't necessarily hold true for everyone.
Old 05-29-2003 | 04:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

The brand new one i installed 2 months ago. Lasted only 16 miles. The symptoms where it got harder and harder to start each time. Finaly it just went. These things seem to either go in a hurry or work just fine. That is the experiance i have had with them.

Quick Reply: I need some help