LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

o2 sensor question

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2007, 01:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default o2 sensor question

ive put about 1000 miles on my new motor, untuned. 383, 42# injectors. its running rich, if you stand behind the car your eyeballs burn. my question is this, do you think it has ruined my o2 sensors. the guy that is going to tune my car suggested i put new ones on so we dont have to contend with any bad sensors giving false readings. what do yall think. it seemed to be running fine, im sure the o2's dont know what the hell is going on because it is untuned. but how do i know if they have gone bad, there hasn't been an SES light on.
Old 08-30-2007, 02:18 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 46 Likes on 35 Posts

wait, you haven't even tuned it for those injectors?
Old 08-30-2007, 02:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

You have to test the o2s to know if they are actually bad. Any scan tool can read them. You want them to fluctuate between 0.2-0.8 If you notice they stay in the 0.5-0.9 area, then the car is running rich. By the way, your tuner SHOULD be using a wideband o2 sensor and not let the car read the o2s on now.
Old 08-30-2007, 02:29 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 46 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by Ralls
If you notice they stay in the 0.5-0.9 area, then the car is running rich.
At part throttle you want to look at the fuel trims rather than the o2 reading to tell if you're running rich or lean. The o2 (if it's working) will fluctuate too fast to get any reliable info from.

The only place you can really get any info from a working o2 reading is at wot, and even that is not very accurate. The main thing to check for is that it fluctuates at part throttle and is high .800s or low-mid .900s at wot.
Old 08-31-2007, 01:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by infinitebird
wait, you haven't even tuned it for those injectors?
i got a mail order tune from fastchip.com and i got fucked on it. the car wouldn't even run, i dont know alot about tunes but it was popping like crazy like the timing was off. and fastchip said they did everything right and the engine builder and the shop that installed the motor says they did everything right. after several spitting matches no good outcome and no refund. so right now im running on a stock pcm with a bad ed wright tune and it has a jet stage 2 chip (which i already had) plugged into it. the only way it would run so we could break it in for a dynotune.

the tuner was just telling me to make sure my o2's werent bad because we are going to do a little pre-tune tune (while driving) to clean up the a/f a little first.

Quick Reply: o2 sensor question