LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Carbeurated LT1

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2007, 08:08 PM
In-Zane Moderator

Received 32 Likes on 19 Posts

Well, that ******* needs to understand that people here are sharing their opinions and experiences. He does not need to belittle people just because they dont think the LT1 is gods gift to man. Sorry if the language offends, but i am tired of this guy calling anyone with a different opinion or experience a kid and calling people stupid. The way he responds to people is VERY unnecessary. I will from now on not argue with the guy if he stops ragging on people and name calling for difference in opinion.
Old 09-02-2007, 08:57 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by GIZMO
Some people come on here to exchange ideas. 96capricemgr was out of line with his remarks. It's a shame that you felt you had to put so much bad language in your post. Why not PM him? Sad.

Take Care,

Daren
Amen Giz. Cap, while he may know a thing or two, doesn't go about it the right way. His ego screws up any good advice he could give. And while I agree with how Zone feels, the name calling just lets Cap know he's getting to you, and that may very well be his intent. To **** people off. I just think it's to further feed his ego. This forum just isn't big enough for it.

With an LT1, there really just isn't any good reason to go carb, unless you have zero money to put into the project. Either you can convert an intake because you have a machine shop, or you just already have one. The biggest problem with carbing is that I think you'll have some problems with the rest of the car, namely being the trans since it's computer controlled. You'll have to buy one of those $600~ trans brain boxes. So if you're going to flat out carb from scratch you're probably looking at around $1500, in my opinion.
Old 09-02-2007, 09:23 PM
In-Zane Moderator

Originally Posted by Formula350
Amen Giz. Cap, while he may know a thing or two, doesn't go about it the right way. His ego screws up any good advice he could give. And while I agree with how Zone feels, the name calling just lets Cap know he's getting to you, and that may very well be his intent. To **** people off. I just think it's to further feed his ego. This forum just isn't big enough for it.

X2, i am not giving into his rudeness anymore, it is deffinatly not the first time he pissed me off, i am just going to let whatever he sais not get to me, he is just simpleminded to judge people he has never met in person, in other words...****'em.
Old 09-03-2007, 01:15 AM
TECH Addict

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by 96capricemgr

There are no advantages, injection is superior and actually quite easy to tune with the right tools which are suprizingly inexpensive.

Start adding up the cost of jets, timing light, advance springs etc. and compare that too $90 for Tunercat and $40+ for a cable and injection can be cheap to tune. The feedback the computer can offer makes tuning much easier too.
I agree with 96capricemgr, why lose the advantage of a fuel injected system and live sensor data easier to tune to a carb?

Last edited by transam5.7lt1; 09-03-2007 at 01:25 AM.
Old 09-03-2007, 01:23 AM
TECH Addict

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by speed_demon24
I've driven my car in south florida downpours 100's of times and I have NEVER had an issue with it....
Yeap, same here, when I had my 1994 LT1 it went through a lot of rain in 2 hour plus trips, many times, and I never had a major problem with it, not even a miss. Not to flame anyone, I am just telling my experience here.
Old 09-03-2007, 01:56 AM
TECH Senior Member

I hadn't driven mine in the rain yet due to bad weather stripping, and I finally had to here recently. Light rain is fine, but the downpour is what caused spitting and sputtering. It wasn't bad, but it wasn't anything I wanted to keep driving with. So I went home and swapped out for my moms car 93 with 96K. I'm sure my Opti is all stock :\ So, once I get a new cap and rotor (when it comes time, not going to do it as a tune up since it's $$$ I don't have), that should take care of the issue. My buddy just did a whole new Opti on his and he said he siliconed it up tight lol So we'll see how that goes.
Old 09-03-2007, 02:30 AM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well..thanks to all the ones who gave actual advice...lol. Someone had just mentioned it to me the other day, so I was just wondering if anyone had any experience with it and if it was worth the time and effort.
Old 09-03-2007, 02:31 AM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I dont drive my car in the rain, because of the fact that ive had miss fires and bucking, hesitation, because it seems like water gets into the opti. I have taylor plug wires and i do use the electrical grease. Saying that its opperator error is far from being true. I know how to install and opti and have done it many times. Keeping the car out of water, allows it to run right, hands down! at least from my expeiences. I also have had to pull over and park the car because it was running like total **** due to water getting in there. I understand the opti gets a bad rap, but holy hell it isnt the most superior setup gm could have thought of. This topic has been beaten to death, and the comments in this thread are way out of line!

as far as carb vs injected....injected is alot better than carb imo
Old 09-03-2007, 02:45 AM
In-Zane Moderator

Yea, i think it just goes both ways, some have great luck with opti's and some dont, i have had bad. I have had awesome luck with carbs, relentless power gains with no one i have to pay to tune my jets. However, the reliability if injection is there no matter what, but, i never have any problems with my carb as long as i keep good filters in line with the fuel system. Now, when i get this new opti and it doesnt work, i honestly will prolly break down and buy the intake needed and go with the carb and intake, i am just needing to make the best decision possible to get a distributor with the most clearance in the back of the engine compartment. Till then.
Old 09-03-2007, 09:29 AM
TECH Senior Member

Ever gone to think it's your PCM?
Old 09-03-2007, 09:38 AM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

IMO a carbed LT1 would be great in a retrofit application like an old Nova. In an F-body it is a pain to have the distributor under the cowl. You would have to make a removable panel in the cowl to allow enough room to pull the distributor. Performance wise the carb has the potential to be just as good as fuel injection, but as stated above, it would be lacking in gas mileage and day-to-day driving.

Take Care,

Daren
Old 09-03-2007, 10:09 AM
In-Zane Moderator

Originally Posted by Formula350
Ever gone to think it's your PCM?
Well, i will find out when i get the new opti on, i have a extra PCM laying around anyways.
Old 09-03-2007, 11:33 AM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Schweet97Z
I dont drive my car in the rain, because of the fact that ive had miss fires and bucking, hesitation, because it seems like water gets into the opti. I have taylor plug wires and i do use the electrical grease. Saying that its opperator error is far from being true. I know how to install and opti and have done it many times. Keeping the car out of water, allows it to run right, hands down! at least from my expeiences. I also have had to pull over and park the car because it was running like total **** due to water getting in there. I understand the opti gets a bad rap, but holy hell it isnt the most superior setup gm could have thought of. This topic has been beaten to death, and the comments in this thread are way out of line!

as far as carb vs injected....injected is alot better than carb imo
Then there is something wrong with your car.
Old 09-03-2007, 01:30 PM
12 Second Club

ur kidding me right?
Old 09-03-2007, 01:55 PM
11 Second Club

ur kidding me right?
So your it's normal for a car to start missing and die in the rain?
Old 09-03-2007, 02:17 PM
12 Second Club

then explain why it will run a 12.2 et spinning on slicks...i dont know why the **** it does that....it has before, not often, but it has, and hell im not the only one. so if your going to insult people saying there is something wrong with the car, when it clearly runs fine, other than in rain, you need to get the **** out. i agree in theory a car shouldnt come from the factory and have drivability issues in the rain, but once you figure out the reason why it does you let me know, and its not because i dont know how to install an opti or put plug wires on.....
Old 09-03-2007, 02:32 PM
11 Second Club

then explain why it will run a 12.2 et spinning on slicks...i dont know why the **** it does that....it has before, not often, but it has, and hell im not the only one. so if your going to insult people saying there is something wrong with the car, when it clearly runs fine, other than in rain, you need to get the **** out. i agree in theory a car shouldnt come from the factory and have drivability issues in the rain, but once you figure out the reason why it does you let me know, and its not because i dont know how to install an opti or put plug wires on.....
Mine doesn't do it at all so there is nothing for me to figure out. The only time it did that was because of the POS elite sparkplug wires I put on. I swapped them out for msd's and now it has run fine for 3+ years in south florida downpours. And what was your mph and 60' on the 12.2 run?
Old 09-03-2007, 03:05 PM
On The Tree

Im putting a carbed lt1 into an s10 and my friend already has one running.
Old 09-03-2007, 06:47 PM
12 Second Club

well then maybe it is spark plug wires. my best 60 i could get on slicks was a 1.8. you could feel the car spin until you get past the first 60'. my best trap speed that night was i believe 110, or 111. but ill try a set of wires, because my opti isnt that old, and neither are the wires, but maybe thats the culprit.
Old 09-03-2007, 08:37 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by speed_demon24
Mine doesn't do it at all so there is nothing for me to figure out.
I wasn't aware all cars were created equal.

But I'm not ruling out my opti having a bit of a problem. It's old, and that's all. Older optis with worn cap and rotors are more prone to issues in rain/muggy weather, than less worn/new ones.

Quick Reply: Carbeurated LT1