LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

which forged lt1 internals shoul I get??

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2007, 06:20 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by tyler ovel
Thanks already have that done, have afr 195cc
w/ 65cc combustion and 64cc exhaust but the cam im leaving stock for know. Thanks again
No you didn't. Those 65cc heads are going to put your compression around 9.0:1. Not to mention I haven't seen 1 impressive result that came from using AFR heads on LT1's yet.
Old 09-08-2007, 11:51 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ok now do you need to rebuild it or do you just wont to, how many miles are on it. If it doesn't smoke at all even at startup leave it alone. With just a hundered shot the bottom end is just fine. and i would sugest an LT4 hot cam kit from GM and more bolt on's if you need a rebuild and its staying a stock stroke size just forage the pistons and your good to 175 maybe 200 shot if you know what your doing. Then maybe heads and when heads a bigger cam like the 847. My thoughts on building a foraged bottom is since your there stroke it, theres no replacement for displacement, and it cost about the same. I have the LTCC kit on my car and it was the single best improvement I've done to date. this is the kind of stuff that needs to be adressed to get the most out of what you put in.

http://www.geocities.com/reilym/LTCC/
Old 09-09-2007, 12:11 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by speed_demon24
No you didn't. Those 65cc heads are going to put your compression around 9.0:1. Not to mention I haven't seen 1 impressive result that came from using AFR heads on LT1's yet.
That sucks ***. I guess i needed to do some more research! i guess ill sell them on craigslist,lol.
Old 09-09-2007, 12:13 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by socal
ok now do you need to rebuild it or do you just wont to, how many miles are on it. If it doesn't smoke at all even at startup leave it alone. With just a hundered shot the bottom end is just fine. and i would sugest an LT4 hot cam kit from GM and more bolt on's if you need a rebuild and its staying a stock stroke size just forage the pistons and your good to 175 maybe 200 shot if you know what your doing. Then maybe heads and when heads a bigger cam like the 847. My thoughts on building a foraged bottom is since your there stroke it, theres no replacement for displacement, and it cost about the same. I have the LTCC kit on my car and it was the single best improvement I've done to date. this is the kind of stuff that needs to be adressed to get the most out of what you put in.

http://www.geocities.com/reilym/LTCC/
I have a 148000 mi but very low oil pressure and it serges when i get up to 5000-5500 rpms.
Old 09-09-2007, 12:24 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Speed Density
Stock displacement is 350ci, not 347ci.

The 6.00'' rod/piston combo is one of the best setups you can do, works very well together.

I agree on Dwayne's compstar statements. They are extremely nice parts, I run them in my new engine.

Tony.
Thanks for the info, Im think that what you said about the 355ci w/ forged pistons and rods w/ a stock crank is the best bet for what i want to do. so let me get it clear, I should get the 6.00'' rods and off the shelf mahle pistons but what spec piston should i get? but now your saying to get the compstar compoinents? should i get compstar rods then mahle pistons? Thanks again for the info.
Old 09-09-2007, 12:33 AM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Honestly I would just call up a well respected shop/engine builder and go with their advice. You obviously don't know that much about these cars yet (this isn't an insult everyone has to learn somehow) so instead of making an expensive mistake by trying to build the motor yourself to your specs I would have a good shop do it for you or at the very least sell you a proven setup.
Old 09-09-2007, 01:15 PM
11 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by tyler ovel
thanks but why is the stock cam with better head not good, I know i wont produce as much power?

In the 80s the heads sucked so badly that they had to be the first thing changed. The LT1 heads were a big step up, even outflowing the big valve "Bowtie" race heads GM came out with a relatively few years ealier. As such the cam is the first cork.

Some guys have actually documented power losses from swapping heads and keeping a stock cam, because the stock cam is not enough to let the head get air moving.
Old 09-09-2007, 02:48 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

in a previous build i used sbc 350
speed pro forged replacement pressed pistons, with stock resized rods
speed pro bearings for the main and rod bearings, sbc stuff will work in lt1
pistons are 1.565 ch, for use with pressed pin, on 5.7 rods,
iirc less than 500$ for the parts, but i did the machine work to the block,
when i was working as auto machinist. but about 200-300$ for machine
work sound about right. for bore,hone with tq plate,deck, resize rods,line hone mains for 350 sbc.

Quick Reply: which forged lt1 internals shoul I get??