LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

FTI torque converter

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2007, 02:17 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by XX11SECZXX
what part of i didnt get a bill is so hard to get through that small brain of yours?
Then all I gotta say is that guy has bigger pockets and a smaller brain than I, sir.
Old 09-19-2007, 04:19 PM
10 Second Club

ok then thats what it is or maybe cuz its a nice guy and he would rather keep a customer happy then to make a few bucks.
Old 09-19-2007, 05:40 PM
11 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

If he really did rebuild your tranny for free then he wrote off the expense as advertizing dollars and that is exactly what you are trying to deliver too him. Too bad you ran into some guys with a clue that can shoot down all the BS he fed you. Hopefully those reading and not responding can see who knows what they are doing and who does not.

Far as build quality I have almost 4 years on my tranny, that is a real testament to quality, not 3 passes down the track.
Old 09-19-2007, 11:29 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by 96capricemgr

Far as build quality I have almost 4 years on my tranny, that is a real testament to quality, not 3 passes down the track.
And it wasn't free.
Old 09-20-2007, 05:03 AM
11 Second Club

Been a while but I bet I have close too $2500 in the tranny can converter. The converter I went with the ProEdge which is capable of taking much more than I am hitting it with. Nitrous keeps catching my interest and I wanted to make sure I was ready should I ever take the plunge.
Old 09-20-2007, 09:39 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by 96capricemgr
If he really did rebuild your tranny for free then he wrote off the expense as advertizing dollars and that is exactly what you are trying to deliver too him. Too bad you ran into some guys with a clue that can shoot down all the BS he fed you. Hopefully those reading and not responding can see who knows what they are doing and who does not.

if everything i have stated on here is bs then explain why i can all of the suppen beat my buddies car doing nothing other then locking the converter in second gear?trust me you guys dont have a clue there are very few people on here who have any common sence. go to the need2speed site at least they know what they are talking about.
Old 09-20-2007, 09:42 PM
TECH Addict

Dude, You're prolly not very far off from being banned on here, with your troll like responses and your constant plugs for non sponsor items and sites.

That lockup clutch prolly won't last much longer the way you keep abusing it. Some of the stuff we're discussing has nothing to do with common sense.

Matt
Old 09-20-2007, 10:50 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

if everything i have stated on here is bs then explain why i can all of the suppen beat my buddies car doing nothing other then locking the converter in second gear?trust me you guys dont have a clue there are very few people on here who have any common sence. go to the need2speed site at least they know what they are talking about.
No ones doubting it doing anything in your car since you have a shitty converter. If you had a yank, vig, or edge it wouldn't gain you anything noticable.
Old 09-21-2007, 05:16 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by speed_demon24
No ones doubting it doing anything in your car since you have a shitty converter. If you had a yank, vig, or edge it wouldn't gain you anything noticable.

Exactly. A GOOD converter will only have a couple hundred rpms of slip at 6000rpms, not enough to leave open the possiblility of 2-3mph gains.

A crappy converter(or an 8" race unit with 4000+stall) will have maybe 5-600rpms of slip and will leave a big oportunity for gain by locking.

Think about it as science, the energy that goes into the converter has to come out in some form, it can not just disapear. If locking the converter results in a substantial gain then you are using energy that was being lost to something other than turning the wheels. We can assume that energy was lost to heat production. Losing energy to heat production is the very definition of inefficiency.

When a converter like a Edge,Yank, or Vigilante gaines less than 1 mph locking that means it was already using more of the input energy to turn the tires and not wasting it as heat.
Old 09-21-2007, 01:25 PM
10 Second Club

this converter was built to be locked in second gear its not like some p.o.s converters out there. the lock up clutch is 3 times the size of a clutch in a tci or a yank. the guy to told me if i burn it up then he will replace it. if the converter is such a piece of **** they why dont some of you come out to the track and show me what your cars do.
Old 09-21-2007, 01:29 PM
11 Second Club

this converter was built to be locked in second gear its not like some p.o.s converters out there. the lock up clutch is 3 times the size of a clutch in a tci or a yank. the guy to told me if i burn it up then he will replace it. if the converter is such a piece of **** they why dont some of you come out to the track and show me what your cars do.
Now your callin people out halfway across the country?
Old 09-21-2007, 05:06 PM
TECH Addict

3x times the size. HMM that's a pretty big lockup clutch to fit in a small case. Why not show us slips before and after the converter. And with and without locking the converter up.

You can't even keep your own facts straight. Your First post indicates your TC has an STR of 1.7. Further down you indicate 2.02. Which is it.
Old 09-21-2007, 08:41 PM
10 Second Club

its 2.02 im going to the track wednesday (weather permiting) i just cant believe that just because someone has a converter that isnt made by a huge company it is automatically a piece of ****. this is a small company now but if you are ever at bithlo look at the cars over 50% of them have an FTI sticker on the back.you watch in a few years this will be a big company. my dad had a converter from yank when it he was a small company and now look he sells almost all of the converters for an fbody.
Old 09-21-2007, 08:42 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by speed_demon24
Now your callin people out halfway across the country?
what about you your not across the country?
Old 09-21-2007, 09:30 PM
11 Second Club

When I went with Edge they were not as well known as they are today. It is not about being big necessarily.

YOU also gave us some bad info. a 1.7 STR would be horrible, 2.02 still isn't great but is a whole lot better than what you told us.
Still though a 2-3mph gain if it does hold true means an inefficient converter, no debating it, just fact.
Old 09-21-2007, 11:34 PM
11 Second Club

what about you your not across the country?
My engine is all apart right now, not that that matters since my car is setup to turn instead of going straight.
Old 09-22-2007, 09:58 AM
TECH Veteran

my dad had a converter from yank when it he was a small company and now look he sells almost all of the converters for an fbody.
What does this mean? If Yank sells 99% of the converters for an Fbody, then why did you buy an FTI?
Old 09-22-2007, 10:07 PM
TECH Addict

does FTI have a website? Just curious.
Old 09-23-2007, 07:59 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by dhdenney
What does this mean? If Yank sells 99% of the converters for an Fbody, then why did you buy an FTI?
because i had a yank in the past and it was a piece of ****. unless you dont mind turning 3000 to back out of the driveway. FTI doesnt have a web site i dont think but they do have an 800 number. i went to FTI because ive been seeing their sticker all over the cars at the track and when my buddy got his and had such good luck with it i figured what the hell. now im basically sponsored by him. but you watch FTI will be a big company just give it time.
Old 09-23-2007, 08:29 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

its 2.02 im going to the track wednesday (weather permiting) i just cant believe that just because someone has a converter that isnt made by a huge company it is automatically a piece of ****. this is a small company now but if you are ever at bithlo look at the cars over 50% of them have an FTI sticker on the back.you watch in a few years this will be a big company. my dad had a converter from yank when it he was a small company and now look he sells almost all of the converters for an fbody.
Bithlo? Their track prep sucks but I'll run ya', im not across the country, I happen to reside in orlando.

Not just for "props" though, you'd have to make it worth my time

Quick Reply: FTI torque converter