LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

how long does it take to install heads and cam lt1

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2007 | 06:09 PM
Launching!

Default how long does it take to install heads and cam lt1

going to install heads headers and a cam soon i was woundering how long this is going to take. i am a mech. and i have a buddy that is one too working with me. we'll have all the tools and a lift. im going to pull the engine right out so it will be easyer to work with. i need some input fast becasue i want to know if i will be able to do it this weekend thanks
Old 09-20-2007 | 06:23 PM
In-Zane Moderator
10 Year Member

Oh hell yea, with that equipment and you have the experience you say you do then yea, 1.5 days is plenty of time to do it and take your time so you get it all right, that is if you are dropping the K member out the bottom, it will be a breeze with it out of the car.
Old 09-20-2007 | 06:40 PM
Staging Lane

If you plan on pulling the engine, you might as well rebuild it. You are looking at about three days, unless you work on it for about 12 hours a day then it will take about two days. If thats all you going to do is heads, cam and headers leave the engine in. I am just saying, dont be wasting your time unless you going to put it to good use. Do it once the first time so, you dont have to mess with later.
Old 09-20-2007 | 06:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

some people pull it out the top, others drop the cradle. thats how mine came out and it was relatively simple. search for some write ups.
Old 09-20-2007 | 07:13 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by 98pontiacfirehawk
If you plan on pulling the engine, you might as well rebuild it. You are looking at about three days, unless you work on it for about 12 hours a day then it will take about two days. If thats all you going to do is heads, cam and headers leave the engine in. I am just saying, dont be wasting your time unless you going to put it to good use. Do it once the first time so, you dont have to mess with later.
i dont have the money for the rebuild plus i plan on getting a 383 shortblock in the future but i have a full shop to drop it the engine and , it just looks easyer to take it out then keeping it in.
Old 09-20-2007 | 08:08 PM
In-Zane Moderator
10 Year Member

Like i said above, if you got a lift then go ahead and drop it out the bottom, it will make it easier in most areas.
Old 09-20-2007 | 08:25 PM
TECH Veteran
10 Year Member20 Year Member

Originally Posted by 98pontiacfirehawk
This advice is good for the average home garage user, but for a mechanic with a shop, lift, and professional tools, it's probably easier/quicker to pull the engine to just replace heads/cam.
Old 09-20-2007 | 09:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

I'm also a licensed tech and use a hoist. When I did my cam, valvesprings and headers with engine in the car it took around 15 hours. I just did an engine swap out the bottom and the motor/trans was on the floor in 2 hours with a buddy helping. Back in and running in 12 hours. You should be able to change the H/C and headers in no time with it out of the car.

Quick Reply: how long does it take to install heads and cam lt1