LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Oil press gauge/cooler lines Q?

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2007, 07:12 AM
11 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Oil press gauge/cooler lines Q?

Hi I have a 355LT1 in my 87 Iroc, The guy that owned it before me never ran an oil cooler so he just looped the cooler lines, because he couldnt get the spacer plate off.
I just bought a mechanical oil pressure gauge since I want to know actually how much I am making. Can I block off the cooler lines buy using NPT set screws. If So I was going to run the oil pressure guge fitting to one of the oil cooler holes and just pop a set screw in the other one, and take that loop out of there.

Also for a mechanical Temp gauge I can just take the stock one out and put the aftermarket in place? will there be any computer issues or is this strickly just for the gauge?

Thanks Jay
Old 09-25-2007, 07:50 AM
That's MISTER MODERATOR

Received 50 Likes on 41 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

Corvette LT1's had no oil cooler, there was no space. Some B-Body cars had oil coolers that sent oil to a cooler in the radiator. Did this engine come from a F-Body? If so, the oil cooler lines you're referring to are actually lines that carry coolant (antifreeze) from the radiator to the oil filter pad then to the water pump. There’s no oil running in those lines. In warmer climates, this system was said to make the oil hotter, not cooler. It wasn’t a very good design. I’d eliminate the cooler adapter entirely and install a standard chevy V8 oil filter adapter.

For your oil pressure sender, you should use one of the oil galley plugs above the oil filter pad.

For your temp sender, each head has a sending unit hole, 3/8 NPT. The driver's side was used for the stock sender and the passenger side was plugged. Use the passenger side if the drivers side is already used.
Old 09-25-2007, 08:37 AM
11 Second Club

Motor is from a 1995 Camaro
Just to verify I am talking about the two npt fitting holes that are just above the Oil filter. He tried to get the adapet off but couldnt, So I was thinking of plugging one end and running the gauge of of the other. And oil must flow through there becuase the line popped of on me before and dumped all of my oil.

Jay
Old 09-25-2007, 09:26 AM
That's MISTER MODERATOR

Received 50 Likes on 41 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

Sounds like your cooler has been fooled with, has an internal leak or is aftermarket. It this what you have?
Old 09-25-2007, 09:57 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you are using an aftermarket temp gauge, remove the one in the head and leave the one in the water pump alone cuz that will affect your fueling.
Old 09-25-2007, 11:24 AM
11 Second Club

The one that is on top of the oil filter has two lines that run side by side. When I go home maybe I will snap a pic for you guys. It very well could be an aftermarket peice since not much of the motor is stock anymore.

Jay

Quick Reply: Oil press gauge/cooler lines Q?