LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

SLP Adjustable Fuel Pressure Regulator tuning?

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2007, 06:16 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Puck
It wasnt that the pump was on its ragged edge of keeping up then I would have just gotten a new one - it was that my tables were maxed and it stopped helping. Large changes in the tune were not making the difference they should have. With the higher fuel pressure I regained the ability to control it through the tune correctly, since it evened out the line pressure so it did not fall off at higher rpms. I guess it is kind of like drilling an IAC hole so that the computer can regain control of the idle - it wasnt to fix the problem in itself, but to allow the computer to regain control.

I was planning on getting a new pump with the AFPR, but I got the AFPR first and luckily the problem was solved with just that. Now I have it on for when I do upgrade my pump .

I am planning on replacing all my aging fuel lines to braided line anyway eventually (I admit alot of that is just for the "bling" factor ), and that will be a great time to get a new fuel pump while I am at it

Without seeing the tune, sounds like you're running out of MAF table. Could be the pump too, but again, as said above, you're just pushing the pump harder than before, that's a silly half-*** solution.
Old 10-04-2007, 06:18 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by HoLLo
This is how my car starts:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PYdd_eYKzmY

And hoping putting this AFPR on it will fix the problem

Does that hot and cold? Plugs or timing chain is likely.

Just when hot? Injectors.

Just some thoughts to toss at ya.
Old 10-04-2007, 06:24 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by jasonp31
Without seeing the tune, sounds like you're running out of MAF table. Could be the pump too, but again, as said above, you're just pushing the pump harder than before, that's a silly half-*** solution.
Once again, it is a 93. Speeddensity car, does not even have a MAF. Slighty boosting the rail pressure will not harmfully tax the pump, since it was only slightly leaning out on the top end - it is not like the pump crapped out.

With the tables being fully tuned and some cells already maxed out, there are not many other options. My tuner recommended it himself and he has not only been tuning hundreds of LT1s and TPIs since before many of us were even born, but worked as an engineer for Chevrolet. I trust his judgement.
Old 10-04-2007, 06:44 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jasonp31
Does that hot and cold? Plugs or timing chain is likely.

Just when hot? Injectors.

Just some thoughts to toss at ya.

Only when cold. When it's warm it kicks right on.
Old 10-04-2007, 06:49 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

injectors? why the hell. lol.

I would like to see your fuel pressure.
Old 10-04-2007, 07:57 PM
TECH Junkie

Ordering one tomorrow from Jegs, all local places are too pricey.
Old 10-04-2007, 08:07 PM
11 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

In other words you weren't going to listen anyway. So why did you waste our time?
Old 10-04-2007, 08:12 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Without datalogging, analyzing your tune, and dyno time w/ a wideband it is impossible to tell whether it will help you or not.
Old 10-04-2007, 08:57 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by kinglt-1
The Lt-1 fuel pressure regulator is just fine in working condition. Lt-1 have never had a problem with running lean, it's always been most of them run too rich. Unless you have a sick turbo set-up makin 550whp then it might be worth getting the aeromotive fpr that increases fuel 1:1 in reference with boost. Send it back and get a pcm tune. If you think your fpr is bad just replace it with stock. Tuned port and tbi injection are the only motors that benifit from a adjustable fpr
Mine runs lean. You should see my nice white plugs.
Old 10-04-2007, 09:03 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by 96capricemgr
In other words you weren't going to listen anyway. So why did you waste our time?
Picking up a fuel pressure gauge to test it.. geez dude
Old 10-04-2007, 09:07 PM
TECH Senior Member

Picking up a fuel pressure gauge to test it.. geez dude
He's an ***, don't worry about it. His daddy didn't love him enough, or over loved him, either way it's made him into one bitter person.
Old 10-04-2007, 09:17 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Puck
Once again, it is a 93. Speeddensity car, does not even have a MAF. Slighty boosting the rail pressure will not harmfully tax the pump, since it was only slightly leaning out on the top end - it is not like the pump crapped out.

With the tables being fully tuned and some cells already maxed out, there are not many other options. My tuner recommended it himself and he has not only been tuning hundreds of LT1s and TPIs since before many of us were even born, but worked as an engineer for Chevrolet. I trust his judgement.
Ah, no maf. Sorry, still getting used to the years and which cars had what. I won't go on about the rest there you wrote, its obvious you are dead set on it being the right move. I'm not here to fight about cars.
Old 10-04-2007, 09:27 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by ThoR294
injectors? why the hell. lol.

I would like to see your fuel pressure.
No idea what you're laughing at when I said injectors. Maybe you didn't read what I wrote correctly.

I agree at this point about fuel pressure. If it won't start when the engine is cold, would want to let it completely cool overnight, and check fuel pressure in the morning. Could definitely be a FPR issue.
Old 10-04-2007, 11:25 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 196 Likes on 138 Posts

Sounds to me like you needed bigger injectors.
If fueling is wrong it needs to be changed in the pcm.

That said, I have a Metco adjustable regulator(it modifies the stocker like SLP) on my car, I got a set of 32lbs LS1 injectors for next to nothing, at LT1 pressure they ran at about 28lbs which was too small and a friend had the Metco I got again for next to nothing and I used it to give these injectors the 58psi they were designed for, still hitting 85%DC on the injectors she's a thirsty girl. I would not call what I have done an outright mistake but certainly would not do it like this again and would discourage others from doing it. Buy BIG injectors when you need to buy injectors instead of doing it halfway like I did, will be cheaper in the longrun ans you wont be beating on your fuel pump like I am at this time.

The stock regulator may not deliver exactly spec'd pressure, but IMO it would be pretty stupid to buy an adjustable for just that reason when all that would be needed would be a slight tweak to the tune. There are calculators online to change injector flow ratings based on pressure changes.
Agreed!
Old 10-05-2007, 07:45 AM
11 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Formula350
He's an ***, don't worry about it. His daddy didn't love him enough, or over loved him, either way it's made him into one bitter person.
No I just don't see the point in supporting kids making all the same stupid mistakes many others have made before.

These forums are pointless if the experianced guys do not try and help newbs avoid known mistakes.

People like you want your *** kissed instead of INFORMATION, I come here to read and share INFORMATION and I have to be direct to be heard in the sea of ignorant fools like you. It is how I make myself heard.
Old 10-05-2007, 07:59 AM
TECH Junkie

Ordering a gauge now, I'll get back with you guys on the pressure!
Old 10-05-2007, 03:37 PM
TECH Senior Member

No I just don't see the point in supporting kids making all the same stupid mistakes many others have made before.

These forums are pointless if the experianced guys do not try and help newbs avoid known mistakes.

People like you want your *** kissed instead of INFORMATION, I come here to read and share INFORMATION and I have to be direct to be heard in the sea of ignorant fools like you. It is how I make myself heard.

Since we're all "kids" to you, how old are you anyways? Just so we can sort this all out. I don't consider 24 to be a kid. 18, yea that might fall under that category.

I could care less if I get a thank you for info I've given, so no, I don't want my *** kissed for what I post. As for being ignorant, hardly, that's just your over inflated ego talking. All you do is come across as a know-it-all, when in fact you don't. You, like everyone, posts info that they've had experience with, and heard from people who've had experience with.

So again, I'm sorry you had a rough childhood, but that doesn't open the door for you to be an asshat here. I don't think it's too hard to be POLITE when correcting someone "No, I'm sorry, but the info you posted just isn't right, it's more like.... <tell them what you think>". Instead of "No, you stupid ignorant kid, that's completely wrong, and you're an idiot for telling him that".

Yea, sure, you may know a thing or two, but that doesn't give you the right to have a god complex. Just get over yourself, tell your wife you need a romp, and come back less grumpy.
Old 10-05-2007, 04:26 PM
TECH Veteran

The stock regulator may not deliver exactly spec'd pressure, but IMO it would be pretty stupid to buy an adjustable for just that reason when all that would be needed would be a slight tweak to the tune. There are calculators online to change injector flow ratings based on pressure changes.
I suspected my stock FPR to be going bad but went ahead and got an adjustable one on Ebay for about the price of a stocker. Then I adjusted it to factory spec and left it alone since.

Quick Reply: SLP Adjustable Fuel Pressure Regulator tuning?